Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

It stopped retreiving mail from exterior pop server

Offline NomadOfNorad

• +0/-0
    • http://www.joshua-wopr.com
It stopped retreiving mail from exterior pop server
« on: April 23, 2010, 08:27:18 AM »
Today, I went to check my mail.... and as I was in the process of starting Firefox towards loading the web interface... I glanced over to the SME Server machine, and suddenly realized it was switched off!!!   :shock:

I could not get it to turn back on, punched the power button again and again.  Nothing... until I physically unplugged the machine and plugged it back in, at which point it immediately started booting.  It then started like normal, and I was able to bring up the web interface to check my email.

I am reasonably sure the machine was NOT off until today or so, certainly not for a week, or I would have noticed it.  On the other hand, when I brought up the email web interface... the newest mail in there was from the 15th, and this was the 22nd!   :sad:

I have checked all the settings, and nothing has changed.  I pulled up the web interface at my webspace provider, and determined that there ARE mails in my assorted pop server boxes there all the way up to today... but for whatever reason, the SME Server machine has not collected any of them.  Nothing has changed at the webspace provider, either.  They have not changed anything about the way their server presents itself to a machine logging itself in to check the mails.

Does anyone know why the system would suddenly stop collecting emails?  I have made NO changes or adjustments to my machine.  I have not TOUCHED the settings in months and months.

Could the machine, having somehow gotten itself shut off abnormally, have done something to stop emails from being able to be retrieved?  Bear in mind, it is unlikely the machine was off the entire time from the 15th till today, so it seems the two issues are totally unrelated.  Still, COULD the machine having spontaneously shut itself off have frelled something up?

In any event, what must I do, or check, to determine why I cannot cajole it into collecting my emails?  If I cannot get this process going again... and fast... I am going to run out of space on the pop server, and mails will start bouncing.  Assuming they haven't started bouncing already!

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: It stopped retreiving mail from exterior pop server
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 09:01:53 AM »
do a yum update, it's a clamd issue

and, please, search the forums before posting, there's also a sticky topic about it