Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Backup to remote host (over internet)

Offline Denbert

• +0/-0
    • hegnstoften.net
Backup to remote host (over internet)
« on: March 29, 2009, 03:57:30 PM »
Hi there,

I have used the SME server since 5.2, but has for the last two years used Debian Etch with webmin, as there is some features i really like with this setup. Now i need a new server, and the demand is a SME server out of the box, with no extra features at all :)

The only thing i really miss, is the ability to make a filesystem backup over the internet. In webmin it's very flexible and can be scheduled : http://doxfer.com/Webmin/FilesystemBackup

Can it be done on a SME 7.4 server?

/ Denbert
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" - Sir Winston Churchill

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: Backup to remote host (over internet)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 04:02:19 PM »
Hi Denbert

maybe Affa is what you are looking for

HTH

Ciao
Stefano

Offline Denbert

• +0/-0
    • hegnstoften.net
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 04:30:07 PM »
Hi Denbert

maybe Affa is what you are looking for

Thanks for the suggestion, doesn't look like the SME tools I used in the good old. 6.x days, as there is no webgui.

I'll try it on at test server, and see if I can hit my Debian Etch server in the amazon cloud.
/ Denbert
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" - Sir Winston Churchill

Offline David Harper

• +0/-0
  • Watch this space
    • Workgroup Technology Solutions
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 04:39:30 PM »
IIRC Affa requires SME to be running on the backup server, as it uses the e-smith database etc.

That said, in essence all Affa does is dial in to the production box over ssh and then copy any changed files to the backup server. You could probably use the code on your Debian box with a few modifications.

Offline Denbert

• +0/-0
    • hegnstoften.net
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 04:55:46 PM »
I'll try to investigate the webmin Filesystem backup module, in order to see if it could be implemented to SME (More correct, if I can, with my poor linux skills  :???:), as I think this setup is more useable, as it runs on all distros.

/ Denbert