Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

internal and external sites on same server

Offline dstevens

• +0/-0
internal and external sites on same server
« on: December 30, 2008, 03:44:05 PM »
I have a server running 6.x (it is pretty old hardware and the 7.x release didn't have a SCSI/RAID driver).  I know I need to upgrade to the later release & plan to test that ASAP - will the driver from the old version remain when I upgrade?

I have a single external (viewable from internet) web site and an FTP site on this server.  There is also an internal site.

My network is split between 3 IP networks (172.20.16.x, 192.168.16.x, 172.20.225.x).  In order for all three networks to see the internal site, I think that I have to set it to be seen from the internet.  If this is not correct, please advise me how to make it so.

If the internal site is set to be seen from the internet, are there any security implications for the internal site? 

Thanks,
dstevens

Offline David Harper

• +0/-0
  • Watch this space
    • Workgroup Technology Solutions
Re: internal and external sites on same server
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 12:48:25 AM »
In SME 7.x, you can set additional networks as "Local Networks" to allow users on those networks to access internal resources. This means that there would be no need to open the intranet site up to the whole Internet. I'm not sure whether this is the case in 6.x.

On that note, you really should upgrade ASAP. You should know that Software RAID is built in to 7.x, so if your RAID card isn't supported (although I do doubt that -- what sort is it?) you can just plug the drives in directly and let SME do the RAID for you.

Offline dstevens

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 07:12:04 AM »
Ah... That is there in 6.x also.  Thanks for the tip.

Regarding the RAID drivers...
The server is an older Dell PowerEdge 2300.  When we first installed SME on the box, I tried installing 7.x and it wouldn't load the drivers for the RAID controller.  I did some research and the particular controller in that server (don't recall the manufacturer right now) wasn't supported in the newer versions (after 6.x). 

I am assuming that if I upgrade over the top of 6.x that the drivers will be retained - perhaps a poor assumption & one that I will need to test.

Thanks again for the tip about the local networks.  I updated those settings and we are in business.

dstevens

Offline David Harper

• +0/-0
  • Watch this space
    • Workgroup Technology Solutions
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 07:19:45 AM »
Unfortunately the drivers are kernel-specific, so you are probably out of luck. Perhaps you should consider a new RAID card. SME 6.x is pretty long in the tooth now, especially for a server that is exposed to the Internet.