Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

port 1194

Offline lional

• +0/-0
port 1194
« on: October 28, 2008, 03:39:47 PM »
I have done a port forward for upd port 1194 to localhost and the destination port is 1194
My isp says there is no port on my box
is there any way to check because I make a vpn connection but I can 't see any computers 

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
Re: port 1194
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 04:00:32 PM »
I'm guessing (based on some google searches) that your question concerns OpenVPN...

Is your problem:
a) You cannot connect to your SME 7.3-with-all-updates server running the OpenVPN contrib as described (insert URL here) from off-site?

or

b) You can connect to (blah-blah-blah), but after connection you cannot access (samba shares? ftp sites? web sites? Remote Desktop?) on (the SME server? LAN workstations behind the SME server?)

It is much easier to help if we know:
- your exact configuration (both on the SME server and on any other involved systems)
- your desired outcome (what are you trying to acheive?  there may be a better way to do the same thing...)
- your exact error message / failure mode (the seeds of a solution are often revealed in the details of the error message...)

Offline lional

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 04:18:15 PM »
it does concern openvpn
I can connect to the sme using putty and ftp, and it connects to the server using openvpn
The client wants to connect to the sme server and access their shares as if they were in the office.
The connection doesn't give me any error messages, it says it is connected. I can ping the sme server, but can't find it I go through network neighbourhood on an xp workstation
I followed the steps on the openvpn contrib and everything worked fine, so my config follows what the contrib says.
Now my isp says that they cant see port 1194 on my sme. So I did port forward on my sme. Is this all I need to do with regard to setting up the port.

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 04:41:39 PM »
What happens if you do this on the remote XP workstation:
- Start
- Run
- \\a.b.c.d\sharename

Where a.b.c.d is the LAN IP address of your SME server, and sharename is a valid share on the server?

There is a lot of stuff that can be ever-so-slightly misconfigured in Windows XP that will prevent network resources from appearing when you browse the "Network Neighborhood"...

Your ISP may be testing TCP port 1194, instead of UDP port 1194, or perhaps UDP 1194 doesn't show as "open" until after you initiate the OpenVPN connection (I know nothing specific about OpenVPN...)

Offline soprom

• +0/-0
    • www.logiciel-libre.org
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 08:47:02 PM »
Could you say what contrib you've installed?
There one with "routed" and an other with "bridged" vpn...
Sophie from Montréal

Offline lional

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 09:36:40 PM »
I think it is the bridges one. where can I get the routed one from

Offline soprom

• +0/-0
    • www.logiciel-libre.org
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 10:45:23 PM »
Sophie from Montréal