Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

where to download joomla 1.5.7 as an SME contrib

Offline timn

• +0/-0
    • Nash CDL
Re: where to download joomla 1.5.7 as an SME contrib
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 03:15:10 PM »
Just to throw my two penneth in.

I installed the wiki contrib last week and immediately applied an upgrade patch from the joomla site to bring up to 1.5.7

Patch from here http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla/frs/

Note you need to pick the right version to upgrade from. Then just install the package by unpacking it in the joomla directory - as per the instructions here http://docs.joomla.org/Upgrading_1.5_from_an_existing_1.5x_version.

I think I then had to manually change the owner:group to www:www and file directory permissions to 755 and 644

All worked OK for me. This was actually an upgrade from the previous contrib for version 1, which was from dungog I think. I eventually managed to transfer the data OK but that is another story.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 05:08:57 PM by timn »

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 04:13:36 PM »
grisswold

If you are at all serious about using and maintaining servers and preserving your data, then you should (must) have a Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) connected to each server.
See
http://wiki.contribs.org/Uninterruptable_Power_Supply

Configured correctly, the UPS will shut down the server when battery life starts getting low, and the server will turn back on when mains power returns (BIOS setting).
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline grisswold

• +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 03:58:22 AM »
mary

Thanks again so much for your continued support. You really have done a lot to us. Your a big help.

And let me just say that I live in a third world country, our UPS only has a power life span of 30 minutes and it doesn't have the feature to  automatically to shutdown computers... Those kind of UPS are too expensive for us... Besides we are not in a business for us to be spending and buying those kinds of devices... This is just a project for us, an experimental.. For us to learn, to broaden our knowledge to these stuffs like and enhance our skills maybe... And yeah, it is important for us to get this to work coz were learning; every step, every procedure, every process... So we're just living and doing the best way that we can. Seeking help to others, advices, suggestions to push through every problem/circumstances we encounter such as these...

So I'm gonna cut the drama... Let me just say that.. yeah! we are serious about using and maintaining servers and preserving our data and everything... Its just were doing it differently.... And please dont assume that money is not one of the problem matters to us and that we could get those kinda devices.. because it is a problem... It really is.... T_T

------EDITED MESSAGE---------

I think I then had to manually change the owner:group to www:www and file directory permissions to 755 and 644
By the way how can I check if the user www:www is existing? And also how can I check for the groups that's already existing?

--------CONTINUATION---------
I would encounter an error installing joomla using the contrib from the wiki... "could not connect to MySQL".. During this process "yum localinstall smesever-joomla-1.5.1-2.noarch.rpm" I was able to see the error "Access denied: could not connect to MySQL(password:NO)"... I believe the joomla was trying to create a db in the MySQL server. And the problem is... "MySQL wont restart my password"-which was my first problem-(I cnt login to MySQL just by typing mysql in the root console, I always have to login by "-u root -p password").... 

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 09:59:19 AM by grisswold »

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 08:53:05 AM »
OT:

@grisswold: could you please write in english and not in slang? :-)
reading your posts for not-english reader is a bit difficult..

TIA
Ciao
Stefano

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 11:34:26 AM »
grisswold

... our UPS only has a power life span of 30 minutes and it doesn't have the feature to  automatically to shutdown computers... Those kind of UPS are too expensive for us...

I thought just about every basic UPS supported signalling between the UPS & the server via USB cable. You perhaps should be more selective of the UPS brand & model and choose one that does have signalling, without necessarily choosing an expensive one.

Ask in these Forums for which low end models work OK with sme servers & Nut. Also see the Nut compatibility list, linked from the Wiki Howto page.

I would encounter an error installing joomla using the contrib from the wiki... "could not connect to MySQL".. During this process "yum localinstall smesever-joomla-1.5.1-2.noarch.rpm" I was able to see the error "Access denied: could not connect to MySQL(password:NO)"... I believe the joomla was trying to create a db in the MySQL server. And the problem is... "MySQL wont restart my password"-which was my first problem-(I cnt login to MySQL just by typing mysql in the root console, I always have to login by "-u root -p password").... 

Sounds like your issue is mysql root password related.
I thought you had fixed that issue by now.

I think you should stop trying to install Joomla and stop doing anything else to your sme server and fix up the mysql root password.
Stay on track until you resolve the root password issue, as it will only continue to cause problems with every other thing you do on the sme server.

Please go back to the thread on the root mysql password issue and continue the discussion there.
My guess is you have done the wrong procedures to fix it, and that's why it is not yet fixed.
Please post the exact commands you use, copy and paste using putty to make sure you transfer them to us exactly as you enter them. A simple spelling m,istak eor extra or missing space can make a lot o fdifference.

It should be a simple straightforward matter to reset the root mysql password.

I hesitate to say it as it should not be considered as the magic answer to all problems, but a reinstall may be your simplest and quickest way to resolve these problems, and without restoring any old data too.
Do an install from the latest sme7.3 CD to avoid earlier upgrade issues.
Just manually re-enter anything needed to ensure a clean stable system. Preferably do not go installing various apps or making custom changes etc, just get your basic sme server working correctly first ie one that does not have system errors.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 11:48:21 AM »
grisswold

I just ran the root mysql password reset commands on a sme 7.3 server and it took 2 minutes to do and worked perfectly.

I suggest you try again.
For sme7.3

cd /var/service/mysqld
sv d .
expand-template /root/.my.cnf
expand-template /var/service/mysqld/set.password
/usr/libexec/mysqld --bootstrap --user=mysql --skip-grant-tables < ./set.password
sv u .

Check all spelling and spaces & dots etc very carefully before pressing enter at the end of each line.

Offline grisswold

• +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 01:29:12 PM »
We're just using some old friend's UPS, just something we can use.... These types of models are the old ones... The really2x old ones... And there are no stores here that would give us a bargaining price for a UPS. So we'll just stick with this in the meantime...

Sounds like your issue is mysql root password related.
Yeah, I'm just going back in circles. I guess this is the root cause of it all. :sad: T_T
I wasn't able to really fix this problem, I just bypassed it, by creating a new user with all privilegs, since it was such a pain...

I hesitate to say it as it should not be considered as the magic answer to all problems, but a reinstall may be your simplest and quickest way to resolve these problems, and without restoring any old data too.
That was what I also had in mind... I mean I'm going round and a round with this and just got to some minor steps forward.... I'm consulting my mates about this and hoping that we could finally resolve this problem.

Also, while were still gonna decide on it. I'm just gonna try to reset the password again and I'm gonna try to do what you say...