Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

How can I help test updates?

Offline tspoon1986

• +0/-0
How can I help test updates?
« on: October 22, 2008, 06:01:13 AM »
Hi,

I've noticed that ClamAV seems to stay in smeupdates-testing for quite a while before it's released, and at the moment the dansguardian contrib in smecontribs requires version 0.94 of ClamAV, but that version is still in smeupdates-testing.

I've looked around on the wiki and forum but I can't find much information on what is required to move a package from smeupdates-testing to a production repository. If I'm able to offer some assistance to do this I'd like to. How can I get involved?

Offline gzartman

• +0/-0
    • LEI Engineering & Surveying
Re: How can I help test updates?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 07:24:41 AM »
Hi,

I've noticed that ClamAV seems to stay in smeupdates-testing for quite a while before it's released, and at the moment the dansguardian contrib in smecontribs requires version 0.94 of ClamAV, but that version is still in smeupdates-testing.

I've looked around on the wiki and forum but I can't find much information on what is required to move a package from smeupdates-testing to a production repository. If I'm able to offer some assistance to do this I'd like to. How can I get involved?

First, a little explanation of why packages are in smeupdates-testing:

smeupdates-testing is a collection of updated SME Server packages that are considered (in a sense) Beta for the next release.  They have passed a certain amount of testing, but are not ready for mainstream release yet. There is no designated time as to when a package will move from smeupdates-testing to a main release.

The best way for you to get involved with testing is to:

- First and foremost, familiarize yourself with the SME Server bug tracker.  Click the bugzilla link to the left of the contribs.org page as you first enter the site.  All supported SME development effort is documented in this tracker. 

- Second, find a package you wish to test and the bug report in bugzilla associated with this package.  Nearly all packages in the testing repositories will have a bug report in the tracker.  If you can't find a report associated with the package you want to test, then create a new bug report.  If in doubt, create a new report -- we'd much rather have duplicate reports than no reports at all.

- Third, read the bug report associated with the package and familiarize yourself with the information and issues associated with the package -- there is a reason it is in the testing repository.

- Fourth, install the package on a NON-PRODUCTION clean install of the current release of SME Server and test it against the information documented in the tracker.  NEVER install testing packages in a production environment.  If there is a specific issue that the testing package was meant to solve, try to verify that it was solved.

- Fifth, go back to the bug tracker and report your findings.  Be concise and clear in your report and keep your comment on topic.  Do not hesitate to report any issues you run into, but also do not go off-topic with issues unrelated to the bug report.  If you find a separate issue, then create a new bug in the tracker.

- Finally, do not hesitate to ask questions in the tracker so long as they remain on topic and aren't questions asking for support or howtos.  It is OK to ask questions for advise on how to test and what to report back. 

Your interest in helping to test SME Server is greatly appreciated!  Please make the most of your effort by becoming familiar with the bug tracker and communicating.

Thank you,

Greg
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 07:34:17 AM by gzartman »
----
Greg J. Zartman
LEI Engineering & Surveying

SME user and community member since 2000.