Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

sark-ha HA redeye synchronization question

Offline bbialy

• +0/-0
sark-ha HA redeye synchronization question
« on: October 13, 2008, 02:33:04 PM »
I've set up two server with sark and ha rpm.
it works good if I stop or turn off one of them it works good (perfectly)
but how synchronise extensions, truknklines, routes, voicemails, cdrs, tftp and other

I've setup for lazy synchronization method but probably I've done something wrong.

or if you set up loose synchronization how to synchronize on demand.

maybe i didn't understand something in http://www.aelintra.com/docs/cgi-bin/view/Main/DocChapter2520

Best regards
Maciej

« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 03:56:43 PM by bbialy »
Reading with understanding is the hardest thing IN THE WORLD

Offline SARK devs

• +1/-0
    • http://sarkpbx.com
Re: sark-ha HA redeye synchronization question
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 09:24:05 PM »
HI Maciej,

OK, please be mindful that RedEye is only at release 1.0 and there are more things that we will introduce into it over time.  Our first objective was to get the failover working reliably and smoothly, which it does.  Failover, with zaptel cards fitted to each box, takes about 12 seconds from point of failure to up and running on the "B" (backup) server.  This time delay is almost entirely due to the UDEV startup delay when bringing up zap trunk drivers on the the B server.  In a near release we will significantly reduce the failover time by pre-loading the drivers on the B server. 

HA 1.0 is running in production in at least one commercial deployment (with another two sites just about to be installed) and it is behaving well in the field.

Synchronization is currently limited to "Loose" and "Lazy". Loose means no automatic synch (you have to manually do it yourself).  Lazy will keep the SARK schemas in synch between the two servers.  However, it WON'T keep voicemail files or CDR's in synch and you need to be aware of this.

The way Lazy works is by setting up an SMB share across the two servers and periodically comparing the B server SARK schema with the A server.  IF the two schemas differ then the A server schema will be copied to the B server and a "soft" commit issued.  The soft commit will generate all of the asterisk files, tftp server and so forth but it won't start/restart asterisk on the B server.  Asterisk will ONLY be started on the B server if it senses a failure on the A server.

Due to the nature of HA, we don't believe we can run the cluster in server-gateway mode so it has to be server-only.

Finally, due to the nature of SME server and its startup mechanism, we cannot currently support DHCP server in this environment.  So DHCP has to be provided by a third server.

Kind Regards

Jeff
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 09:29:11 PM by selintra »

Offline bbialy

• +0/-0
Re: sark-ha HA redeye synchronization question
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 12:21:56 AM »
Failover works great. I've tested.
i was thinking about solution for voicemails and cdr to mount /var/spool/asterisk and cdr directory to NFS share.
I'm not sure about database but Master.csv should contain all connection details.

According to zaptel channels i don't think its necessary (it is very difficult) to have failover support on TDM lines. i think it is much easier to use gateways such as patton, audiocodes, quintum or multitech.
there some devices with redundant power supply. In this case only analogue or ISDN lines are your mission critical.

Simplicity is the power and you proved it in sark-ha development

Many thanks

Maciej
Reading with understanding is the hardest thing IN THE WORLD