Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Zarafa (opensource) community edition

Offline jester

• +1/-0
Zarafa (opensource) community edition
« on: September 18, 2008, 08:47:54 PM »
Has anyone ever tried to install Zarafa on SME?! They now have a community edition.

For info on differences in version, see HERE

Re: Zarafa (opensource) community edition
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 02:55:14 AM »
Hi,

I'd love to have this in our build.  I'm going to check into it.  This would give SME a new breath of life for sure.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 11:31:38 AM »
interesting but..

in install.sh file I read (rpm for rhel4 i386):

postfix_missing() {
   echo "Zarafa for RHEL requires the postfix MTA package."
   echo "Please install postfix from the Servers - Mail Server Package Group"
   echo "and restart the installer."
   echo
   exit 1
}

openldap_already_configured() {
   echo "Your OpenLDAP installation appears to already be configured"
   echo "If you wish to reinstall the LDAP base installation you will need to"
   echo "stop OpenLDAP, delete the files in /var/lib/ldap/ and restart the installer."
   echo "The installer will exit now."
   echo
   exit 1
}

HTH

Ciao
Stefano

Offline daniel

• +0/-0
  • Platinum Sponsor
    • http://www.charton-mgmt.com
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 05:16:57 PM »
There is a VMWare appliance of zarafa.   If you're using VMware on SME then you could install it for testing.

Offline jester

• +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 05:06:08 PM »
According to the Zarafa FAQ to use sendmail for this (this is what SME uses, isn't it?!).

Don't know anything about OpenLDAP so, that could be a problem.

Offline jester

• +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 05:37:29 PM »
Don't really know what i'm doing but tried installing it on a SME 7.3 vmware test installation and it went OK at first, OpenLDAP integration seems optional, so i skipped this for now.

After a reboot webaccess is not accessible, I guess this is because the Zarafa installer is not using the SME templating system. Don't know how to solve this though...

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 08:31:29 PM »
According to the Zarafa FAQ to use sendmail for this (this is what SME uses, isn't it?!).

Members of the documentation team should know that SME server does not use sendmail, and should know how to find out what it does use.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 09:15:01 PM »
According to the Zarafa FAQ to use sendmail for this

That FAQ entry tells how to configure sendmail to do local deliveries via /usr/local/bin/zarafa-dagent. That can probably be done with qmail in SME server by using a .qmail user template (as is done for procmail filtering).

Offline jester

• +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 06:24:44 PM »
Hey... i did not make myself member of the DocsTeam, please take it away if you feel like it.
I would not want to pull the status of that title down with my lack of knowledge.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 06:43:01 PM »
Hey... i did not make myself member of the DocsTeam, please take it away if you feel like it.

No offense intended, and I don't have any privileges on the forum, so I can't make any changes anyway. I just don't think it is a very difficult research task to determine whether or not SME server includes sendmail, and everyone, but especially Documentation team members, should check before posting anything they are uncertain about. The forum has way too much mis-information.

Offline jester

• +1/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 08:35:35 PM »
You are right, in that light i should have searched a bit further. I intend to improve my Linux skills on the not-to-long term btw (just started the RHCE course today). Hopefully a bit better informed remarks in the future from me.

Offline dmay

• +0/-0
    • http://myezserver.com
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 12:13:10 AM »
I've taken a very quick look at Zarafa. Very nice web interface almost identical to Outlook Web Access. Outlook features such as shared calendar and public folder support. The Zarafa Linux installation manual discusses how to perform a manual installation and work with qmail. I got Zarafa installed and running on SME 7.3 without issue (other then normal SME templating and rights to take care of). Tested the web interface and outbound mail ok. Looks promising. Qmail inbound integration still needs testing. SME user/group integration needs testing. And unfortunately my time is seriously limited.

However, I think Zarafa is worthy of a more in depth look. If you have the time, take a look. :)

Darrell

Offline stephen noble

• +1/-0
    • Dungog
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 01:51:25 AM »
To avoid reinventing the wheel, if you have time, please add your findings to the wiki talk page
http://wiki.contribs.org/Talk:Zarafa

or here if your not a wiki editor, I prefer the wiki as only the latest method is shown

EDIT
Thanks Darrell !

« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 02:48:06 AM by snoble »

Offline dmay

• +0/-0
    • http://myezserver.com
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 04:54:34 PM »
To avoid reinventing the wheel, if you have time, please add your findings to the wiki talk page
http://wiki.contribs.org/Talk:Zarafa

Done.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 06:03:07 PM »
searching with google for "/usr/bin/zarafa-admin" I found this: http://dord.nl/zarafa-6.03-fedora5-en/doc/install_linux-en.pdf

full of usefull info.. for example, you can install the webaccess rpm changin the default dir (from /var/www/html to /opt/).

zarafa can use unix passwd..

unfortunately I have no time to test it.. but it seems very interesting

HTH
Ciao
Stefano