Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME way of adding support for a specific NIC

Offline 7eis

• +0/-0
SME way of adding support for a specific NIC
« on: August 20, 2008, 07:59:08 PM »
It recently came to my attention, that the Intel D945GCLF has a NIC not as legacy as the chipset (seems they had a spare pci-e lane).

The onboard NIC is supposed to be the Realtek RTL8101E (I assume they made only this revision).

CentOS support plotted out here http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/HardwareList/RealTekRTL8101

I would by far prefer to install the dkms enabled driver rpm package by wolfy, however I would like to know if you think this is a good solution.

Other solutions are
a) compiling a recent kernel with (proper) support for the specific chip
b) building a module to probe into the kernel
c) manually compiling and installing driver (same version as wolfy's package)

Adding a PCI NIC is last resort. Let me know what you think is the way to go :idea:

Cheers

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: SME way of adding support for a specific NIC
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 09:06:06 PM »
Adding a PCI NIC is last resort. Let me know what you think is the way to go :idea:

Add a PCI NIC or get a different M/B.

Offline 7eis

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 09:33:27 PM »
Guess I will have to try every singel option, even if it means messing up the near-vanilla install. Thanks for, uhm, never mind.

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 10:32:22 PM »
Guess I will have to try every singel option, even if it means messing up the near-vanilla install. Thanks for, uhm, never mind.
I suggest you follow Charlie's advice as this means the lowest hassle to your server, he is one of the core devs and know SME Server as his backpocket.
Trying to get your on-board network card to work will take you a lot of time and hassle, which you need to repeat as soon as you install a new kernel. By installing a PCI NIC that is supported you will spend a little extra money and save you the hours (at minimum) of hassle you will most certainly come across when you go compiling drivers, kernel-modules or even complete kernels.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)