Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Writing a howto setup Quake 3 Server on SME

Offline Denbert

• +0/-0
    • hegnstoften.net
Writing a howto setup Quake 3 Server on SME
« on: July 27, 2008, 06:03:28 PM »
Hi there,

I started this thread http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=41679.msg194790#msg194790 asking at startup script for my Quake 3 Server.

I've started to write a howto now, and have some questions:

What is the preferred directory for this gameserver? after looking at the Ventrilo howto http://wiki.contribs.org/Ventrilo where the /opt is the base dir, I'm wondering if I should install the Quake 3 Server in this directory?

I've always been running my game servers in the user dir.

About opening the correct UDP port 27960 I would state this:

config set quake service access public status enabled UDPPort 27960

Is this the correct way?

/ Denbert
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" - Sir Winston Churchill

Offline Lum-chan

• +0/-0
    • The World of Urusei Yatsura's Lum
Re: Writing a howto setup Quake 3 Server on SME
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 11:34:03 PM »
I'm running two Quake III Arena Servers on SME 7.3 (With all updates).
I prefer running quake in an ebay, so I can (with the correct security settings) update the Game Servers from my WinXP box. Cuurent path is /home/e-smith/files/ibays/quake-server/files

All Quake related software is in this directory after pointing the Installation of PointRelease 1.32 to the folder above.

I'm auto-starting both servers from rc.local and if needed with two commands from bash.

Below is the part to start just the OSP server from rc.local:

cd /home/e-smith/files/ibays/quake-server/files/Quake3
screen -dmS Quake-OSP ./q3ded +set fs_game osp +set net_ip localhost +set com_h$

Below is the part to start just the CPMA server from rc.local:

cd /home/e-smith/files/ibays/quake-server/files/Quake3
screen -dmS Quake-CPMA ./q3ded +set sv_pure 1 +set vm_game 2 +set vm_cgame 2 +s$

I have opened two ports from the server-manager pointing to self/localhost, Works like a charm.

Al server configuration is done within several cfg's depending on the gametype.

I'm using screen -r to check @ console and close the 'screen' with CRTL A then CTRL D, don't close it with CTRL Q of other combinations of keys.

If you need some more info, just ask here.

I'm sure there are other and maybe better ways to do this, but this works for me  8-)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 11:38:39 PM by Lum-chan »
Lum-chan

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Re: Writing a howto setup Quake 3 Server on SME
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 08:46:24 AM »
I've started to write a howto now
I suggest you post the howto in the wiki, so others can read and help you write, maintain, modify it.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)