Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

What is the correct way disable clamAV (linux only LAN without internet access)

Offline ruipedroca

• +0/-0
Hi,

What is the correct way disable clamAV?

ClamAV is great, but is not needed in a linux only LAN without internet access.
So, what must be done in order to stop receiving warnings like: "freshclam: Update failed" or "Cron Daemon "
I've made a search before creating this post, but didn't find anyone with this explicit purpose.

Thanks in advance!
Live and let die

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Hi

Code: [Select]
config setprop freshclam status disabled
service freshclam stop

should do what you want.

HTH
Stefano

Offline ruipedroca

• +0/-0
Hi, Stefano!

Thanks for your reply! Will try that and then post feedback!

Best regards!
Live and let die

Offline ruipedroca

• +0/-0
Hi, Stefano!

Like you said, i've tried:

config setprop freshclam status disabled  [this worked]
service freshclam stop [this failed, maybe this line should have been the first?...]

After rebooting , i didn't get any email from freshclam , so i conclude that it was disabled successfully!

Thanks and best regards!

Live and let die

Offline stephen noble

• +1/-0
    • Dungog
fyi

http://wiki.contribs.org/Services

freshclam is supervised so a few moments after disabling it is automatically stopped

Offline ruipedroca

• +0/-0
Hi, snoble!

Thanks for the info!

Now, i need some help in the sequence for this same post, for the same server admin email now gets two error messages:
email error 1 - "Cron <root@anemailserver> run-parts /etc/cron.daily"
email error 2 - "Cron <root@anemailserver> /sbin/e-smith/check4updates -m"

Like i said previously, this server is serving a lan without internet access.
I've already done "# vi /etc/cron.daily/01-rkhunter" but i have no idea what to change there..

I believe SME Server is built to automatically update itself, which is very good and safe.
But, as i have to run this server without internet access, these automatic updates must be disabled or i'll keep getting error emails.
Am i right?

Thanks in advance!

Live and let die

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
I believe SME Server is built to automatically update itself, which is very good and safe.
But, as i have to run this server without internet access, these automatic updates must be disabled or i'll keep getting error emails.
Am i right?
It is not built to automatically update (by default), it will however look for available updates. You can disable the update check like this:
Code: [Select]
db configuration setprop yum status disabled
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline ruipedroca

• +0/-0
Hi, cactus!

Thanks again!

I'll try and report back in a few days if all runs ok!

Best regards!
Live and let die

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
freshclam is supervised so a few moments after disabling it is automatically stopped

No, that is not correct. Changing the status property in the configuration database doesn't cause the running service to be stopped.

Offline stephen noble

• +1/-0
    • Dungog

my bad, i was thinking of this line in the devguide

>The /service/myserver symbolic link is owned by the RPM, and when it is removed, runsvdir will soon >notice and kill the runsv supervision process.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
my bad, i was thinking of this line in the devguide

>The /service/myserver symbolic link is owned by the RPM, and when it is removed, runsvdir will soon >notice and kill the runsv supervision process.

Yes, removing a package which contains a supervised service will automatically stop the service. Disabling the service won't stop it.

Offline ruipedroca

• +0/-0
Hi, guys!

Just to report:
I still got this email message tonight at around 3:00 a.m.:
"freshclam: Update failed"

And i also got this message, around the same time:
"Cron <root@anemailserver> run-parts /etc/cron.daily"

However, this one stopped showing:
"Cron <root@anemailserver> /sbin/e-smith/check4updates -m"

Any sugestions?

Thanks in advance!
Live and let die

Offline ruipedroca

• +0/-0
Hi,

Can someone please help?
I'm receiving these two messages everynight.

Thanks in advance!
Live and let die

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Hi,

Can someone please help?
I'm receiving these two messages everynight.

Thanks in advance!
You can not easily disable them I think, there seems to be no feature for this one AFAIK, but what is wrong with ignoring them? You know why the error is there, as you have no internet connection, so not much to bother about I think.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline ruipedroca

• +0/-0
Hi, cactus!

I don't mind receiving those two emails every night, for i easily solved it with a folder and an apropriate filter.

I was only worried about any other possible implications ignoring those emails could have. But, like you said, there's nothing wrong ignoring them, so i'll just leave it like that, which is fine!

Thanks for everyting and best regards!

Live and let die