Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

svn import for big file size showing error

Offline hasan

• +0/-0
svn import for big file size showing error
« on: May 26, 2008, 11:33:11 AM »
Hello All,

I am trying to add a compressed file into a svn repository name "golden" on my sme-server.

After a long wait while it shows
Code: [Select]
Transmitting data...
It throws this error:

Code: [Select]
svn: PUT of '/golden/!svn/wrk/1460507f-ce71-4b38-8136-ef76289db0e8/ABC/datasets.tar.gz': Could not send request body: connection was closed by server (https://www.myserver.com) [/b]

Can anyone tell me the reason?
Is it because of file size restriction as the size of my tar.gz file is about 7GB?
If yes how can I adjust that, to resolve the issue?

:hammer:

Thanks and Regards
Hasan
My software is not having any bugs,
It just does some random calculations intelligently :-)

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: svn import for big file size showing error
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 12:23:30 PM »
Hi

I'm not able to solve your problem but IMO:
- 7 GB is a BIG file
- multipost is not a good thing

Ciao
Stefano

Offline byte

• +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 02:04:08 PM »
Moving this topic to the SME Server 7.x forum, it is more appropriate there. Thanks!
--[byte]--

Have you filled in a Bug Report over @ http://bugs.contribs.org ? Please don't wait to be told this way you help us to help you/others - Thanks!

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 04:34:34 PM »
Hello All,

I am trying to add a compressed file into a svn repository name "golden" on my sme-server.
Why not add it uncompressed? In that case it would be a commit of smaller files (or you could commit in phases), which perhaps might work.

I do not know if there is a upper limit to commit size, and what number it has, but I can imagine that 7GB is very big. On top of that it is hard to judge from the small snippet of error log you post what the root cause of the error might be.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline hasan

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 07:57:24 AM »
Thanks alot Cactus,

Actually the uncompressed file is about a 40GB  :o  folder containing text files of huge sizes.

So I do not want to put 40GB when I can put its compressed 7GB.

Thanks and Regards
Hasan

My software is not having any bugs,
It just does some random calculations intelligently :-)

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 08:16:02 AM »
Thanks alot Cactus,

Actually the uncompressed file is about a 40GB  :o  folder containing text files of huge sizes.

So I do not want to put 40GB when I can put its compressed 7GB.
Subversion is optimized for working with text files, subversion is meant for version management. It has a clever mechanism to store the differences for each file with the previous version, for text files at least, I do not think it does that for binaries. By only storing the differences the footprint of the space used is will soon be smaller than for the individual versions combined.

If your data changes over time, as I guess, why else do you want to store it in a subversion repository, only the differences are saved and I therefore suggest storing the files as plain text and not as a tarball, my bet is the individual text files will also be smaller than 7Gb, right?
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)