Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Redirect website or Bounce to website

addodge

« on: February 15, 2007, 03:34:07 AM »
Hi,
I was wondering if there was a way to redirect a website that a client visits to a different website.  
i.e.  client types www.google.com and is automatically directed to www.yahoo.com  
We have several employees who like to browse the internet on work time for things that are not work related.  Instead of installing dansguardian for a few sites that are known  (thanks to SARG) i would rather just redirect them to a useless site in hopes that they give up and get the point that they are not going to be able to search for model trains on work time.  I did a search and most of the "redirect" searches come back with redirecting them coming into the server not going out.
Thanks for your help.
Andy

addodge

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 05:19:15 AM »
Ok, I think I have found a solution.  I wanted to check here to make sure I am not going to do any damage though.
If i goto "domains" in the control panel and "add domain"  I can enter the domain name that the employee should not be visiting and point it to the primary site and then tell it to resolve locally.  I tested this with www.cnn.com and it immediatly came back the "This web site is under construction" since i have not setup the primary website.  
Is this ok to do?  are there any problems that i will run into by doing this with numerous sites that we dont want the employees visiting?
Thanks.
Andy

Offline crazybob

• +0/-0
    • Stalzer R&D
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 06:32:53 AM »
Nothing wrong with that at all.

Bob
If you think you know whats going on, you obviously have no idea whats going on!

Offline bpivk

• +0/-0
    • http://www.bezigrad.com
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 10:44:39 AM »
If i can give you a suggestion:
Modify the index.htm file. Enter "This adress is forbiden" or something like that.
Or if you want to redirect them you can create a redirect index.htm file so he'll be redirected to your company's hompage when he enters blocked adress.
"It should just work" if it doesn't report it. Thanks!

Offline colinhogben

• +0/-0
Re: Redirect website or Bounce to website
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 11:42:21 AM »
Quote from: "addodge"
Hi,
We have several employees who like to browse the internet on work time for things that are not work related. ... i would rather just redirect them to a useless site in hopes that they give up and get the point that they are not going to be able to search for model trains on work time.  I did a search and most of the "redirect" searches come back with redirecting

How many sites are you going to need to block?  Bear in mind that "Enumerating Badness" is number 2 in the Six Dumbest Ideas in Internet Security - see http://www.ranum.com/security/computer_security/editorials/dumb/

Would it not be better to have a word with the employees and remind them that all web access is logged, and that you will review the logs from time to time.

Offline frenchi6625

• +0/-0
Re: Redirect website or Bounce to website
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 03:48:08 PM »
also, how can I undo what is described above? I've removed the domain  and all it's hostnames, but www.facebook.com still brings them to my page, 'Get back to work'...