Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

public user-password module

Offline tmaleshafske

• +0/-0
    • MALESHAFSKE.COM
public user-password module
« on: May 12, 2008, 04:29:40 AM »
Need some help.  I want to make the user-password module available publicly.  I am using SME Server strictly as a mail-server for my company and clients but want to give users the ability to change their password after I create their email account.  Is this possible to do? I don't want to use VPN due to my clients having unlimited access to resources on  the inside of the network.

Appreciate the help.

Thomas

Offline davelister

• +0/-0
    • IgnitionJournal
Re: public user-password module
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 06:39:23 AM »
I may not be understanding your question, but your SME server has that function already, have a look at https://server/user-password/

'server' being your domain name. It already gives the users the ability to change passwords  :-D

Offline tmaleshafske

• +0/-0
    • MALESHAFSKE.COM
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 02:01:43 PM »
Yes it has it built in, but the page cannot be accessed except from the internal network.  I need it to be accessible from the public network.

Offline davelister

• +0/-0
    • IgnitionJournal
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 03:33:50 PM »
don't know what I have done then, but mine is open to the WAN and not just the LAN

Offline davelister

• +0/-0
    • IgnitionJournal
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 03:34:56 PM »
sorry never mind me - i c you are not using it for www just mail - my bad

Offline tmaleshafske

• +0/-0
    • MALESHAFSKE.COM
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 05:38:28 PM »
Well I am using https for the webmail interface. But my problem lies in the fact that after I initial create an account for a customer.   He cannot go and change his password which he could do with the user-password page.  it is accessible from the LAN, just not the WAN which is where I need it to be accessible from.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 01:04:24 PM »
tmaleshafske

The server manager Remote Management panel allows you to configure specific host IPs that can access server manager, user manager and user password pages.

The user manager contrib (which will allow password changing) can also be seperately configured with db entries to specify allowed host IP's.

It's not advisable to do, but you can open access to all external hosts, search the forums on Remote Management for the answer. Note that anyone can then access your server manager.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline tmaleshafske

• +0/-0
    • MALESHAFSKE.COM
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 06:50:06 PM »
I had an epithany when you saided it could be controlled by IP. 

Theoratically i should be able to put a frame on my website which is on a local IP address pointed at that particular page.  And should pull up on the public side.  I am going to try it out tonight.  If it works I let everyone know.  At least at that point it is a little more secure than opening up the whole system admin pages to the public.