Offline Agent86

• +0/-0
    • http://www.iclbiz.com
DAR2 to linux desktop
« on: April 19, 2008, 02:31:06 PM »
Hi all

I've been trying to get the DAR2 to backup to linux desktop
Here are some details so far:
So far I have setup the target in the target field of the server-manager panel for Disk ARchive(DAR2) as //computername/sharename

To attempt to confirm DAR2 functionality I've booted to a windows machine and set for //computername/sharename, but it did not create the backup job, however \\computername\sharename did create the backup job on the windows desktop.

When testing my linux desktopshares which appear to be visible from all computers,and writeable from all the local networked computer.I'm having trouble confirming that I can write to the desktop share from the SME box.

• 1) Should the DAR2 backup to linux desktop work similar to the windows desktop without any need for me to first mount the linux desktop share on the SME box. ???
  • 2) The DAR2 panel text for the target area indicates file types,
    Three file systems are supported. [ext3] for backup to local attached disk. [smbfs] for backup to Windows workstation and SME Server network shares. [cifs] for backup to Microsoft Windows Server. Note if using cifs, target entry above must use IP address. Example: [//10.1.1.1/sharename].
    Am I to treat the linux desktop share as a windows workstation share and select the [smbfs] as suggested above,
  • 3) Regarding the last question, FYI my linux desktop shares are using SMB Windows method for sharing on my linux desktop, however I can change that to NFS share type;which one is prefered for linux desktop? and which file type should be selected from the 3 file types listed in the panel?
  • 4) When using DAR2 to backup to local usb drive connected to the SME box, I have used Gparted to setup the drive as ext3 while it was connected to my linux desktop and am planning to connect it to the SME box.
    Is there anything else needed ? Do I have to mount the drive on the SME box ? or will it find the drive upon bootup and be able to start running backup jobs ? Will there be permission problems or do I have to create the partition and format the drive from the SME box itself ?
Please advise
Thanks

« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 02:47:04 PM by Agent86 »

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: DAR2 to linux desktop
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 05:04:54 PM »
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 05:15:30 PM »
Agent86

In Windows you connect to shares using
\\computername\sharename

In the DAR contrib server manager panel, it clearly says to use
//computername/sharename

Do you understand now ?

I can't answer the rest as I don't use Linux desktops.

I thought Darrell May had already pointed out to you in a previous post how to resolve your apparent mounting issues ?
By starting a new thread you have now lost the history of advice given to you.

Offline Agent86

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 06:34:11 PM »
Agent86

In the DAR contrib server manager panel, it clearly says to use
//computername/sharename

In the server manager panel when using //computername/sharename as I've stated in this post that it does not work when saving to windows desktop, it only created my back job when using \\computername\sharename in the server manager panel.

Offline Agent86

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 11:56:37 PM »
Mary, thanks for the link

Agent86

http://wiki.contribs.org/USBDisks

Under the section (Supported FileSystems)
File & Disk size limits depend on the block size used when formatting the disk. SME defaults to a 1K block size.
1K block size: 16GB max file size, 2TB max disk size
2K block size: 256GB max file size, 8 TB max disk size.
4K block size: 2TB max file size, 16 TB max disk size

Which is preferred ?

And one more thing, before I start backup jobs with USB drive:
How can I check the disk for any error etc. ? Or will this have been reported during the format process ?

Thanks again.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 12:17:46 AM by Agent86 »

Offline Agent86

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 04:22:20 AM »
When using the command from the wiki

The block size appears to be default to 4k ???

mkfs.ext3 -L usbdisk1 /dev/sda1
mke2fs 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
Filesystem label=usbdisk1
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
4889248 inodes, 9769520 blocks
488476 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
Maximum filesystem blocks=12582912
299 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
16352 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
        32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632, 2654208,
        4096000, 7962624

Do I need to change something, why is SME formating As 4k block size if the default is suppose to be 1k as shown in the wiki ?

Is this ok  for external usb backup drive ? what is normal what should it be ? etc?

It appears to be working ok, with 4k block size, but I don't know enough about this subject to know if this will create any problems for me later, or if I should figure out how to reformat to 1k block size according to what the wiki tells me it should default to.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 04:56:12 AM by Agent86 »

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 10:32:05 AM »
Agent86

Perhaps the default has changed and the wiki needs updating.
The block size affects file and disk size capacity, 4K just allows larger sizes so I don't see that as being a problem.

Offline Agent86

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 01:46:58 PM »
Agent86

Perhaps the default has changed and the wiki needs updating.
The block size affects file and disk size capacity, 4K just allows larger sizes so I don't see that as being a problem.

Great thanks

Offline Agent86

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 02:05:02 PM »
Thanks mary and to all.

I"m happy I'm now able to backup to usb, and windows desktop which was sort of off topic but I did ask.
I guess back on track with my initial thread of linux desktop.

I can see my SMB shares from SME box, but not sure if I should set the shares up for NFS or SMB windows type share ?

Additionally I would still like to know about these three subjects if someone could clarify this for me.
Thanks again to all for any help on this.

Hi all

I've been trying to get the DAR2 to backup to linux desktop
Here are some details so far:
  • 1) Should the DAR2 backup to linux desktop work similar to the windows desktop without any need for me to first mount the linux desktop share on the SME box. ???
  • 2) The DAR2 panel text for the target area indicates file types,
    Three file systems are supported. [ext3] for backup to local attached disk. [smbfs] for backup to Windows workstation and SME Server network shares. [cifs] for backup to Microsoft Windows Server. Note if using cifs, target entry above must use IP address. Example: [//10.1.1.1/sharename].
    Am I to treat the linux desktop share as a windows workstation share and select the [smbfs] as suggested above,
  • 3) Regarding the last question, FYI my linux desktop shares are using SMB Windows method for sharing on my linux desktop, however I can change that to NFS share type;which one is prefered for linux desktop? and which file type should be selected from the 3 file types listed in the panel?

Please advise
Thanks