Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

"Help... i have fallen... and i can't get up!"

Offline domainwizard

• +0/-0
    • http://www.domainwizards.net
"Help... i have fallen... and i can't get up!"
« on: April 18, 2008, 06:01:09 PM »
 :-D
I have a mix of phones ( aastra's , and some cheap chinese clones) on a variety of differnt small lans and for some reason, from time to time the phones "fall off" the network .. a reboot of the phone always restores service, but given how people view phones as "always ready" this little lockup issue becomes larger than life. The cheep clones do it more oftain than the aastra's, but from time to time all the sites seem to have this occur..

the phones share the lan with the windoze network, and mostly are set to default settiings with the account login and password uniquely set. My quest is to determine if this common? (thinking the common factor might be me) as i ponder if this affects most users?

any ideas wood be appreciated  :?
thanks

Offline SARK devs

• +1/-0
    • http://sarkpbx.com
Re: "Help... i have fallen... and i can't get up!"
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 09:35:32 AM »
Hi dz,

I don't think that this is common, but I think it can happen.  Questions, -

do you have the phones defined as locals or remotes?

do you have a re-register time set in the phones themselves?

We have mainly aastras and snoms deployed in our customer base and the problems we see are mainly with the newer 5xi aastra units.  They tend to be OK as long as they are regularly restarted so, on most sites, we have them automatically restart every night at 00:00.  However, from time to time a phone will lock-up and sulk, whereupon it has to be manually restarted.  Not good but just about acceptable.  We have some big deployments of the older 9112 and 9133 units and they rarely give trouble. 

We never have any technical problems with Snoms, the firmware is rock-solid.  They do have issues tho' and these tend to revolve around their rather awkward usability, particularly for blind/attended transfer.

Lastly, we have issues with Siemens DECT units (mainly the C460IP ).   Most of the time, these are great phones.  They are inexpensive and have superb range for a low cost portable unit.  However, if you get any glitches on your LAN (maybe a minor router or switch fault) which drops the LAN for more than a few seconds, the phone loses its registration with asterisk and it NEVER re-registers.  The result is that it can continue to make outgoing calls but won't receive any incoming unless/until it is restarted.

Don't know if any of this helps.

Kind Regards

S