Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Server Activity

Offline PeteB

• +0/-0
Server Activity
« on: April 02, 2008, 08:39:50 PM »
According to System Monitor, my server goes up to around 95% CPU utilisation every morning at 4 o'clock. (It never goes over 20% during other times of the day.) This poses no problems what so ever, but I am curious what it is doing. (There is no backup or anything scheduled by myself that I'm aware of) I am running SME 7.3 but the same thing happened in previous versions. (I am not a linux expert)

Thanks in advance for any clarification.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 08:41:40 PM by PeteB »

Offline Curly

• +0/-0
Re: Server Activity
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 09:18:01 PM »
It would help if you would tell how long that lasts.

Perhaps the daily virus-scan is perhaps causing this ? Check the server-manager --> Antivirus (Clamav)

Offline peterhocking

• +0/-0
    • Welcome to the Hockings at Canberra
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 03:22:26 AM »
Mine does the same thing at 4.00 AM each morning. It's not doing a virus scan & its a peak in the cpu graph.

I have also noticed that it is at around 4.02 to 4.05 AM that any emails are sent out available system updates.

Regards,

Peter

Offline PeteB

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 10:48:53 AM »
My response is identical to the reponse of PeterHocking:

3-5 minutes, and it is not doing a virus scan. (In fact, version 6.5 had the same behaviour and did not have a VirusScan included if I recall well.)

Pete

Offline progitto

• +0/-0
    • http://umbertomassari.dyndns.org
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 12:11:59 PM »
Take a look to your cron file.

Ciao

Umberto

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 04:49:15 PM »
My response is identical to the reponse of PeterHocking:

3-5 minutes, and it is not doing a virus scan. (In fact, version 6.5 had the same behaviour and did not have a VirusScan included if I recall well.)

Pete
My guess is that this is the yum update check, it runs about 4AM according to my cronjobs (and the e-mailreports I get).
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)