Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Legacy Megaraid

Offline stevezemlicka

• +0/-0
Legacy Megaraid
« on: June 03, 2008, 10:59:01 PM »
I have just spent nearly 5 straight hours trying to get a Netraid 1M card to work.  I understand support was dropped.  I don't really understand why seeing as older and more worthless hardware continues to work.  It's not like a Ultra 160 SCSI RAID 5 array isn't still a decent thing to have.  But that's getting a bit off topic.

Has anybody actually gotten the legacy megaraid drivers to work with SME?  I have read pretty much all the threads out there regarding CentOS and RH regarding these.  The only procedure I haven't done is the one procedure that requires a completely separate RH box to compile the drivers.

I used the driver in post #22 here https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=138590 but I seem to be having the same problem as the gentleman in post #51.  The driver from the disk shows up in the list to select but once selected, it never loads.  The same happens when attempting to load the drivers directly from HP.  I have also started the install with noprobe as well as dd and a combination of the two with each driver.  I understand the server is 8 years old but it seems this has been an issue since 2004 and perhaps even earlier.  I wouldn't consider a 4 year old server obsolete. 

The frustrating thing is it is currently running ClarkConnect 4.2 which I believe is based on the same RHEL or CentOS that SME is yet the card worked flawlessly with no intervention during install.  I just want SME on it because I like SME better.  I almost wonder if there's a way to use the fact that it's working on CC to get it working on SME.

I don't pretend to know alot about linux but I can usually figure things out.  Still, I would appreciate any suggestions to get this to work.

Offline stevezemlicka

• +0/-0
Re: Legacy Megaraid
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 06:38:56 PM »
Nobody has any ideas?

I have it installed on a single disk on the server.  Any ideas if it's possible to install the driver and use ghost to clone the single disk to the raid array and boot to it?

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: Legacy Megaraid
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 06:45:59 PM »
The frustrating thing is it is currently running ClarkConnect 4.2 which I believe is based on the same RHEL or CentOS that SME is yet the card worked flawlessly with no intervention during install.

if so AND the kernel is absolutly the same, try to pick the driver from CC and install on your sme..

Ciao

Stefano