Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

how to configure external Dns

Offline amangue

• +0/-0
how to configure external Dns
« on: September 23, 2010, 11:06:13 AM »
hi to all

I'm having problems with my server set up the server and gateway mode but when I am outside my domain does respond i  registered , someone help me configure the external DNS.

Thank you.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: how to configure external Dns
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 11:13:48 AM »
amangue

Read ALL of this section of the Manual to see if it clears up your lack of understanding of the topic.
http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Appendix

You usually contact the person who registered your domain name to have DNS records (& Nameservers) configured for that domain.

If you want to do it yourself, you can use a free service like zoneedit.com and/or dyndns.com, depending on your needs

What specifically is it, that you actually want help with ?
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline amangue

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 11:34:07 AM »
hi i have registered in the DNS institution responsible for registering domain names here in my country and I have done the routing of my domain and nameserver at my ISP, but my domain when I am outside my network and try to access so does not respond www.mydomain consider access through my public ip, I want to configure my dns so you can access through the www.

Thank you.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 11:48:40 AM »
amangue

You still do not really tell us what your exact configuration problem is.
I'm guessing it may be this.
Typically in the DNS record you would configure a wildcard to cover the www part of your domain name, have you done that ?

You will need to tell us your real domain name so external records can be looked up to see what is configured and what is not.
It will also be useful to provide us with your external static IP which is provided by your ISP to connect your server to the Internet.

Also, are you sure that your ISP is not blocking any ports ?
Do a port scan from a workstation behind your server, see
grc.com

Is access to the Internet working from your server or a workstation behind your server ?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 12:02:44 PM by mary »
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.