Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Please Help Me!!!! Roaming Profiles for Windows XP

Offline Smyler86

• +0/-0
Please Help Me!!!! Roaming Profiles for Windows XP
« on: September 20, 2010, 11:11:33 PM »
Hello All

Firstly, let me say I am very impressed, SME server is excellent! Also I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, I have had a good look around!

But I have a problem, all is well, and I have the SME server setup as a domain controller with roaming profiles enabled.

When I log on to a Win Xp box, it copys the profile to a local folder (the usual c:\Documents......)

Can anyone let me know how to stop it from doing this, just to leave the profile on the server and access it from there.

Thanks very much for looking, ay help would be much appreciated!
 :D

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: Please Help Me!!!! Roaming Profiles for Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 03:13:29 AM »
Smyler86

Right click on My Documents and move the target path location to the users home folder on your server.

You ideally would do this in the Default User profile so that all users automatically get this configuration whne they first log in.
This was easy enough to do "after the event" with 2K & XP.
It is different now in Vista & 7 & too complex to describe here, so search the web re setting up default users in Vista & XP (clue - it has to be done at Windows OS install time)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 03:15:33 AM by mary »
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline axessit

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 04:12:26 AM »
If you want to stop them downloading, there are a couple of ways. Depending on how well you know windoze, you can use gpedit to disable roaming profile copying or you can get real complicated and set up these reg hacks:

http://isg.ee.ethz.ch/tools/realmen/det/skel.en.html

You also need to synchronise your clocks between workstation and server and have them both configured for the correct time zone and location (regional settings), as windows uses UTC to compare store profile with server copy, and will download if it needs to.

As Mary said, if you just want to redirect My Documents, it is easy to do this by just redirecting the folder by right clicking My Docs folder. That will stop all their music and video files form being downloaded!

I normaly redirect the email store (depends on email client) to the network share too to make sure it's backed up by the server.

Offline Smyler86

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 08:36:37 PM »
Thankyou Mary and axessit for you help

I have redirected the My Documents folder now.

Axessit, I cannot find the 'Disable Roaming Profile Copying' option in the gpedit, do you know where it is.

I presume this would stop any local folders being created on the machine.

I'm going to have a good read of that site and look at doing it @ registry level!

Offline axessit

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 04:14:37 AM »
The site went down while I was posting a reply, so hope this doesn't get repeated...

Gpedit.msc, go to Computer Config->Administrative Templates->Network->Offline Files and disable the Synchronizing Files when loggin on/off. You might want to play with other settings here too. There's also a section under Admin Templates->System->User Profiles worth a look if you're really getting carried away (that might only be on Vista, not XP). Anyway, you've enough info here, this is really outside of SME and into the M$ domain (if you'll pardon the pun).