Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Multilog: fatal:unable to open directory /var/log.....

Offline apape1

• +0/-0
Multilog: fatal:unable to open directory /var/log.....
« on: February 29, 2008, 12:16:33 AM »

My SME server 6.0 went down when I rebooted it asked me to run fsck which I did once and then it went into a loop of unable to open dircetory on all my var files I hope to be able to recover from this. Can anyone help? I need to get my data off this drive or get the drive running again. I thought about just trying to update to a newer version.

Thanks for all the help if anyone can help.      8)

Anthony

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
Re: Multilog: fatal:unable to open directory /var/log.....
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 03:06:39 PM »
The UpgradeDisk instructions in the wiki describe how to upgrade to a new system using the old hard disk as a "restore" device (of course, they include a command that you need to run under 6.x *before* removing the hard drive...).

Or, you may be able to install 7.3 on top of your old 6.0 as long as you follow the instructions for updating from 6.x to 7.x.  Here's a starting link: http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=39389.0

If possible, make a backup of your disk before you start.

Offline apape1

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 04:43:23 PM »
Thanks would you be able to provide me with commands for SME 6.0 I want to unmount the drive that I need to scan with fsck.

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 03:08:27 PM »
You should be able to 'fsck' the old SME 6.0x disk if you boot from a 7.x install disk in 'Rescue' mode.

Once you've booted to rescue mode, you'll need to figure out the file system that holds the old 6.0 data, then 'fsck' it...

(I don't think this is exactly what you want, but I don't remember specifics about SME 6 all that well...)

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 01:24:00 AM »
apape1

On a working sme server do
man fsck
and
man umount

Also Google for the commands and syntax

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 01:28:01 AM »
apape1

From old Howto book by Abe Loveless

Recovery from power interruption with file check errors on reboot.

Occasionally every system will lose power.  You want to be sure to have your E-Smith / SME Server running through a UPS.  Linux, like all Operating Systems, frowns on in-correct shutdown procedures.  A power interruption, or just killing the power, may cause a file check error to occur during the boot process.

If this occurs, there are a few utilities that you can use to repair your disk and get the system booted correctly.  You will need to login as root, and execute the following commands.  In all cases, do not actually type the quotes, the last character is a number, and there is a space between “fsck” and “/dev/..”.

The following instructions vary depending on the harddrives inside your individual computer and their configuration.  Choose the configuration that matches your system.  “Test All Drives” should work if your system isn’t listed here.

1 Drive (IDE):
Type: "fsck /dev/hda1" and ENTER 
Type: "fsck /dev/hda6" and ENTER
Reboot: “shutdown –r now”

1 Drive (SCSI):
Incomplete.

2 Drives RAID1 Mirror (IDE):
Incomplete.

2 Drives RAID1 Mirror (SCSI):
Type: "fsck /dev/md0" and ENTER 
Type: "fsck /dev/md1" and ENTER

Test All Drives:
(If you are un-sure what you have, this may be best.  However, documentation suggests that you should be careful doing this.  See the following article:
http://e-smith.org/bboard/read.php?v=t&f=1&i=13728&t=13720)

Type: “fsck –A” and ENTER

The 2 options above are incomplete because, as of this writing, I do not have a test machine available that fits those configurations.  If someone with this configuration would want to report their results to me, I would appreciate it.  Just send me an e-mail with your disk configuration, and I’ll update the information. 
1. Login as root
2. Type: “mail loveless@tech-geeks.org < /etc/fstab”
3. Logout.
4. Send me an e-mail through your normal client to let me know you sent the above file and let me know your drive type and configuration.  The file above displays which “/dev/*” value your system uses, but it doesn’t display the drive type.

Offline apape1

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 05:18:45 PM »
Thank You all for the usefull information I see I have alot to learn about SME Server. I do have two RAID cards in the server on one card I have the old 6.0 installation that crashed and won't boot on the other one I did a new install of 6.0 SME that one boots clean. Now all I need to do is get my data off the old RAID configuration.

I think I can boot the server with the new RAID configuration and just copy all my data which would be a Ibay call share and any of the user data stored in the user files. I am just not to sure of how I will copy the data from the old Raid 5 configuration what is three drives to the new raid 1 configuration which boots clean I guess what I need is the commands to copy the data I need copyed.

I am going to try all the stuff in the post first to see if I can just get the old raid configuration to boot.

Once again I want to thank all you nice people that helped me as all my offices will be running Linux SME Server and with all this great help I will be able to better understand how to use this great network operating system.

I am now trying to restore from an older tape back up I did reinstall SME and am going through the restore from tape now any one know how long it should take?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 10:02:32 PM by apape1 »

Offline apape1

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 11:02:26 PM »
ok I have a compaq Proliant ML 370 G2 server with two RAID controllers in it one configer RAID 0 that has SME 7.3 installed on it the other is RAID 5 with my old SME 6.0.1 on it and I need to get my data off the RAID 5. My SME 6.0.1 server crashed so I set up a new HD in a RAID 0 configuration moved the other three drives to slot 4,5,6 with the new drive at slot one.I then set up a RAID 0 and installed SME 7.3 on it it runs great all I need to do now is get my old data off the RAID 5 drives.  I want to get my data off the Raid 5 set up. Can any one help?

Thanks so much Anthony :)