Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Call for nominations

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
Call for nominations
« on: January 14, 2008, 09:46:48 PM »
OK, I guess we should now ask for people to state their intention to run for Project/Business Manager.  I think there are quite a few people here that would do well in the position, so don't be shy. 

What would qualify you to be a good candidate?  In my opinion you definitely don't need to be a developer or technical person - as has been proven, development is a meritocracy that will continue even with lack of business leadership.  But someone with a better business vision for SME Server would help the development and user community immensely.  The Project/Business Manager should be someone with a vision of:
- how to make SME Server a more popular distribution
- how to encourage and reward the developers
- how to collect donations and/or fees from a larger percentage of the community of people that use SME Server

And of course someone with the spare time to do all this...  On a personal note, I wanted to continue as a leader, but I just don't have the consistent spare time to spend on SME Server as I used too.  I apologize, I think we should have called for elections sooner, but better late than never. 

Please state your intention to run in this thread, or feel free to ask any questions if you are considering running. 

Thanks,

Quick update:
- No date has been set for the election, and it is unlikely that it will happen before the 28th, although it would still be great to know now who would be interested in running.
- I spoke too soon and it will likely be an election to elect 3 board members again, as that is how it was set out in the constitution and articles of incorporation. 

Sorry to jump the gun everybody.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 10:13:42 PM by gregswallow »

Offline paul_NZ

• +0/-0
    • http://www.csssnz.com
Re: Call for nominations
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 07:01:22 PM »
Can I ask
- what is the installed active base for SME Server (if known)?
- what $ amount is required (say) monthly to maintain the operation as it is?
- if the core developers were to be fully or heavily remunerated what $ might be required annually

I love this distro, am an active users and a 'reseller' (for each commercial installation I have donated to the project) and do not want to see this distro faulter in any way.

With answers to these questions I'd like to then draft my thoughts to move forward for further discussion.

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 07:29:10 PM »
- what is the installed active base for SME Server (if known)?
http://smolt.contribs.org/ has info on that, maybe someone else can speak to the accuracy of that info.

- what $ amount is required (say) monthly to maintain the operation as it is?
$250 US per month for hosting related costs, which is heavliy subsidized by Shad Lords donation of volunteer time and hardware, and other yearly costs related to filing taxes, domain names, etc.

- if the core developers were to be fully or heavily remunerated what $ might be required annually
No clue.  I think they would be happy with being paid 'per feature' or on a similar part-time basis.  They all have other full-time jobs and families.

Thanks,

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 09:46:25 PM »
Quick update:
- No date has been set for the election, and it is unlikely that it will happen before the 28th, although it would still be great to know now who would be interested in running.
- I spoke too soon and it will likely be an election to elect 3 board members again, as that is how it was set out in the constitution and articles of incorporation. 

Sorry to jump the gun everybody.

Thanks,

Offline uniqsys

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 06:57:51 PM »
gregswallow,

I too am in agreement with Paul_NZ.  I don't want to see this distro falter in anyway.

Can you give an estimate, say weekly, on how much time is involved in the position(s) that is (are) up for election?  I may be able to offer my services.

Also, is there a place on the wiki that describes the process or the articles of incorporation.  I did a search and couldn't find anything.  It would be good to know the process and responsibilities.

Thanks.  :-)

Offline Normando

• +2/-1
    • Unixlan
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 05:01:56 PM »
...and do not want to see this distro faulter in any way.

Sorry for a little offtopic, but IMHO I believe that the distribution translated into more languages, it will be better known for what it is.
Especially if you offer an online translation tool easy to use.

Offline uniqsys

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 04:24:42 AM »
I nominate Garrett for Business Manager position.

Offline garret

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 02:56:13 PM »
Thank you, I accept the nomination.

Offline electroman00

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 02:38:38 AM »
Bye 

« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 03:29:47 PM by electroman00 »