Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Time for an election / The status of SME Server Inc.

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
Time for an election / The status of SME Server Inc.
« on: January 14, 2008, 06:42:13 PM »
Our intended terms as leaders have past where they were supposed to end now.  Things are still rolling along on the development side, which is great.  On the business side of things, we are at a point now where Gordon, Paul and I are looking to pass the torch to someone new.  We would like to hold an election as soon as we can to elect a new Project/Business Manager.  It is my opinion, that we should elect just one person this time around, so that decisions are made quicker.  That person can delegate and I'm sure will receive offers of help from many community members, so there will still be a leadership 'team'. 

When it comes to the company that has been created, 'SME Server Inc.', in Colorado, we are at the point where we are filling out paperwork with the IRS to get tax-deductable status.  Quite a bit of time, money and effort has been put into getting the company established, so it would be a shame to let that fall apart.  But there would be a few options:
1. If the elected leader is from the USA, work with Ruffdogs to transfer the company to your name/state.
2. Elect someone anywhere, and possibly Ruffdogs can continue to manage the money side of things
3. Elect someone anywhere, and close the company, transferring the funds to that person to manage

I am impartial to which is the best option.  I would just like the election to be open to anyone to run, and that an enthusiastic well-intentioned person win.

Thank you to the entire community for your help and support during our term as leaders.  I hope we can come together now and determine the best path to keep SME Server being developed, and have an active and growing user community. 

We are working out the technical details to hold the election, but stay tuned, it will be happening soon.

Quick update:
- The IRS paperwork can be filed without holding an election first. 
- No date has been set for the election, and it is unlikely that it will happen before the 28th, although it would still be great to know now who would be interested in running.
- I spoke too soon and it will likely be an election to elect 3 board members again, as that is how it was set out in the constitution and articles of incorporation. 

Sorry to jump the gun everybody.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 10:12:46 PM by gregswallow »

Offline garret

• +0/-0
Re: Time for an election / The status of SME Server Inc.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 07:27:14 PM »
Ruffdogs would be happy to continue in this aspect, as we are well aware of what needs to get done legally and from a community standpoint. I believe we have also shown our commitment and that we can be trusted to do what's best for the community, as we have been taking care of donations since the beginning.

Either way, this will all have to happen very quickly.

Garret

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 03:07:00 AM »
Either way, this will all have to happen very quickly.

How quickly is "very quickly" and what are the reasons for the time pressure?

Offline garret

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 03:21:08 AM »
How quickly is "very quickly" and what are the reasons for the time pressure?

The 28th of this month, which is the extended time line provided by the IRS to get our paperwork complete.

Offline hedererjs

• +0/-0
    • http://www.asperience.fr
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 10:52:03 AM »
Hi,

As i'm in France, i'd like to know what "IRS" and "paperwork" is. Because I don't know at all.

Greetings

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 11:03:48 AM »
Hi,

As i'm in France, i'd like to know what "IRS" and "paperwork" is. Because I don't know at all.

Greetings
The IRS is the Internal Revenue Service, the association concerned with taxes.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 09:39:27 PM »
Quick update:
- No date has been set for the election, and it is unlikely that it will happen before the 28th, although it would still be great to know now who would be interested in running.
- I spoke too soon and it will likely be an election to elect 3 board members again, as that is how it was set out in the constitution and articles of incorporation. 

Thanks,

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 09:53:21 PM »
Is there some information on what are the requirements needed for functions as well as a list of tasks?
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 10:08:49 PM »
Is there some information on what are the requirements needed for functions as well as a list of tasks?

We currently have a business manager, development manager and communications manager.  I don't have a job description for each, but like I said in the other thread, I think it should be three people with a vision of:
- how to make SME Server a more popular distribution
- how to encourage and reward the developers
- how to collect donations and/or fees from a larger percentage of the community of people that use SME Server

Thanks,

Offline army

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 12:38:00 PM »
I had used this distro just about a month.
But i have to say it's a great distro.
I'm a linux user, since 2000,also a active member of some linux forums.
Now,I started a small business corp,We supply linux based solutions for SMEs.
I'd like this project to be continued,and more popular...

Offline dhipo

• +0/-0
    • Dhix Networks Everything Secure
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 10:07:22 PM »
Hi all,

I'm an Director of Security Network Company in Brazil. 
Looking at forum , i see this post and i can offer:

to be a Project Leader or
use my company to do community services on SME Server, my companyprofiles can be changed to do community services.

we think in :
do all job to divulgate and expand community support on SME,
Join all world developers and entusiastics to one Forum,
Provide hosting and servers of my Company to project,
provide marketing actions on Brazil to be SME Server well known.
research on best practices to SME functions, and Admin GUI.

but if everything above fails, the hosting and server can be done at "Zero" cost.

awaiting

Offline dickmorrell

• +0/-0
    • http://www.dickmorrell.com
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 08:21:56 AM »
I am really interested at being involved, I have been an SME user since day one and worked with Dan York pre Mitel at Linuxcare in San Francisco so have watched the project grow.

My Linux background is 2 years at Linuxcare in San Francisco followed by a stint as a project team lead on Sourceforge and various other projects at VA Linux. In 1999/2000 I founded SmoothWall (still one of the worlds most popular OpenSource success stories) whilst working at VA which went on to be pretty big (over 22m downloads if you also include IPCop and Endian versions) and the commercial OpenSource company of the same name. I've won three international awards for SmoothWall and I've given talks on OpenSource and security to a staggeringly large list of schools, universities, colleges and functions.

I am an experienced team leader, but also I've a trackrecord of securing funding and ensuring open source projects such as Phlak, LocalAreaSecurity, Backtrack got both the funding and hosting to maintain a presence long enough to move from startup project to become fully fledged standalone creations in their own right. I am currently securing funding and resources for MailScanner working hand in hand with Julian Fields it's creator and maintainer.

More recently I headed up Security for three and a half years for Europe's biggest cable ISP (7.5m users) and did consultancy pre sale to Yahoo for Open Source mail / messaging darlings Zimbra in San Mateo.

I maintain a rack of servers in London mirrored to my dev lab in the Cotswolds in the UK and I am currently advising amongst others the UK Government on OpenSource and just finished writing a book on OpenSource vs Proprietary thats out sometime this year.

The main strengths I bring to the table are the facts that I have been doing this in the OpenSource movement since pretty much day one. I've got good personal links into the Kernel, PHP, Apache and Spamassassin camps and I understand package release schedules and have an understanding of how to use PR and the proprietary press (as well as the OpenSource press) to gain awareness.

I also hold the unenviable record of being the sole OpenSource developer on the planet of having personally sued MS and won.

I would love to have some sort of involvement even if it was just to prove to Charlie Brady that my heart is in the right place and he's actually right up there on a pedestal once I've worked out how to feed him indigestion tablets.

Richard
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 08:24:58 AM by dickmorrell »

guest22

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 01:37:34 AM »
Dick/Richard,

Good to see that you are an enthusiastic user/watcher of SME Server.

I, and many more of us, have seen the past discussions between you and others on this forum accompanied by many examples of what people meant at that time. These discussions themselves where left by you in an 'interesting way'. We also know about your involvement with other distro's and the verbal 'battle' about that. That said, I believe that everybody is entitled to show and prove their good intentions and so do you. However..

Is there any way you can show/prove that your past discussed behavior and language has changed definitely?? We know that many 'commercial' minded people are out there that are willing to 'nurse' a promising project and then eventually try to make big bucks out of it at the expense of this community. This is my personal worry and I believe I am not the only one.

The time you spent on e-smith/SME Server and your personal involvement does not show from this being your 20th post/reply....  Is there any entity that can back up your statements please? As for involement, ALL visitors can be involved. There is the forums, wiki and bug tracker, no need for anybody to be elected in whatever way to be able to contribute to those efforts. Even Charlie would welcome and agree on that.

You keep referring to your 'Open Source loving' resume, but you haven't been 'popular' from that specific community for a long time, or am I mistaking here? Why should this community take a 'known risk' instead of going forward with a 'virgin' good soul?

NOT trying to start a flame here, simply being open and open minded.

Thanks,

ncg

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 02:26:42 AM »
Many of the posters in this thread are the key movers and shakers of the SME Server community or the open source world, whereas I haven't posted for so long that my account has vanished...

Nevertheless I've been an SME Server user for 5 years - and I think pretty much a target user: smart, but not a computer professional, in need of the guidance the developers build in to the system, and grateful for the web based front end.  I would love to see this distribution on a stable footing, with an expanding userbase, and recognised by people who don't understand the term "distribution" for being the groundbreaking distribution it is.

Mr Morrell's previous work includes founding Smoothwall - a project which created the leading product in its sector for all the reasons we aspire to: it was good technology with a clear web interface, easy to use by novices, but quick and flexible for professionals.

SME Server has a strong sense of community but gives less impression of momentum or progress (or ego) than Smoothwall did.  I suspect that an amount of Smoothwall's integrated technology, UI, web presence and nose for PR were driven by force of one character alone, and I think a little of such focus might go a long way.

If Richard Morrell is seriously interested in active participation and if the existing team like the idea it could offer a strong platform for the future.

HF - you ask why SME Server should take a known risk.  There are very few people who have the proven capability of creating a branded phenomenon from open source software, and the distribution we have here is capable of being that.  Richard Morrell is one of those people.  As I understand it the team is very keen to generate funds to remunerate the developers, and who would be better capable of structuring arrangements to achieve that?  But here it would be different to Smoothwall, because it's a community project already sailing in its own direction, with a crew looking to elect a helmsman for a limited shift.

PS.  Having strongly supported Richard Morrell's case I should add that five years ago I chose to move from being a Smoothwall user to an IPCop one after a forum posting prompted an abusive email from him.  But we all mature with time.  Or don't we?  You know best.

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 03:07:36 AM »
Dick

I would love to have some sort of involvement even if it was just to prove to Charlie Brady that my heart is in the right place and he's actually right up there on a pedestal once I've worked out how to feed him indigestion tablets.

We (the community) want & need motivated people to get the commercial side of this distro moving. Whatever the background and expertise of applicants, we certainly don't want them coming into the role with attitudes like you expressed, that's a very wrong reason to want the job.
Dick, please drop the attitude & negativity & be more professional.

Offline dickmorrell

• +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 03:40:25 AM »
HF: I agree with every salient point you made apart from you must bare in mind we've actually crossed horns in the past when you two were being abrasive to people posting on the forums - maybe not with as much strong will as I used on my forums and irc server on my own then BABY GPL project (circa 100k users).

Ray: I'm not sure I understand your point - but please do add some detail as I'm sure that you either 1) misunderstand 2) seem to have an issue that I'd love to have detailed. Please don't accuse me of being non professional. Irony in a posting maybe doesn't come across so I'd like you to read this posting which I'm going to attempt to post in one go without pause and maybe then if you still feel the need to chastise me and put me in naughty corner (note irony) then you can do so with a little more balance.

I hold an unenvious record of having created a monster. SmoothWall was the child of two men - myself and Lawrence, the "community team" was actually a huge myth. Unfortunately the time and place in history was that GPL was a free for all and the outside illusion was we both accepted code contributions and assistance in activities other than testing. This was great free PR - we never actually used anything other than a few documented contributions and graphical activities from two known individuals and as per GPL we understood release packaging and quality control like no other firewall / Linux distro that had come from nowhere.

I don't question any of your points, I would however ask you to treat me with a little more respect as I've run a project with a footprint of users, financial needs and a much larger PR stance than contribs. It was a labour of love that occupied me 20 hrs a day for almost three and a half years.

As regards make a quick buck I would have thought that you of all people understand you don't do this for money. SmoothWall wasn't about money until it took over seven days a week prevented us from doing dayjobs and eventually became what it is now a $10m turnover OpenSource company with franchises in 35 countries protecting over 40m workstations in companies, schools and colleges. Now from that I have the credibility to stand in front of CEO's, CSO's, schools, colleges and campuses and show how OpenSource bridges a gap between proprietary and a better way of working and I've got the scars, medals and awards to prove it. I've won quite a few. The awards mean nothing compared to meeting someone in a crowded WalMart to be told how SmoothWall enabled a clinic with no money to extend access to other tertiary clinics over a secure SmoothWall VPN and that the savings enabled them to hire a clinician. When your work extends to touch the lives of others it pales financial rewards into comparison. The quick buck thing comment I am sure wasn't meant to offend but having worked at VA (NASDAQ's biggest ever one day gain IPO) and seen staff and friends walk away with tens of millions of dollars, Zimbra acquired for $350m in Sept 07 and seen stupid decisions made at Linuxcare etc I've got a clue as to the value of money allowing OpenSource to prosper or "get rich quick". It makes bad leaders - and bad projects.

If you look at my relationships with Samba (I've worked with Andrew Tridgell since Linuxcare in 1998/9 and was hired at VA by Jeremy Allison), the funding and stability I've brought to projects from my own funding and the fact I've also like hundreds of others donated to this project, the credibility I bring from being the only OpenSource developer to ever sue Microsoft and win (which was kinda nice) and also the fact that I know the hard way to do things (having made rods for my own back) but also gone on to show that actually 0.001% of the people whose Slashdot posts and archived IRC posts you read account for 0.000000000001% of a userbase who was actually just visiting and was 14 sitting in Boise Idaho with his pants on his head looking for the next flame. When you believe in something and you're a team of two with a silent copartner who is heels deep in ncurses code you'll understand that sometimes eggs needed to be broken and we made a pretty cool omelette one that is still going, still free in GPL format and has given careers and aspirations to network people who now can add both an understanding of Linux in a palatable format and security to potential employers.

Everywhere I travel in the world people know what I've done. HF one day wouldn't you love to say that.

It's not about money - money doesn't buy you friends or a sphere of influence. We do this for good code, we do this because it's what we're about and we do this because there is a direction ahead of us as a team that requires the almost marionette input control and string tugging of a group of people with a common passion. Contribs since 2003 has demonstrated at times it's own internal frictions and in January 2004 I spoke to some of the involved individuals personally by phone and it was messy. Revolution not evolution. As we get older we push direction and sanity checks into how we are perceived. I work with the decision makers of Fortune 21 companies and the CTO and CSO's of GM100/FTSE100 companies and I have a position of influence based on the fact I love what I do, I try to demonstrate why what we do matters and why we stood up to make a difference in the first place.

I have used SME/Contribs since day one religiously. I am passionate about the way ahead, I share the same goals and the same passions you do but maybe with one difference - I am envious at not having had the courage to put my head above the parapets since maybe 2003/4 to get involved visibly. Instead I've sat behind the scenes (maybe with the exception of Zimbra and MailScanner) funding projects finding hosting and advising on direction.

There are very few battles left to fight - we fought them in the community years ago. What we have instead are hurdles, what we have are gaps in communication that Contribs traditionally has been pretty piss poor at handling - instead delivering a secure safe project that has instead left a smile on the faces of it's users. If you had posted this article/call to arms in 2002 the discussion would be 30 pages deep and it's not. Flame wars, I'm glad to say - seem to be a thing of the past, but where we are now is a hinterground where there is movement to create but not without a movement required to mobilise it. What that message needs to say can be delivered in one of two ways. It can be delivered like it is currently, quietly, released on a cycle that suits the needs of a small team that will move as it's own pressures dictate. Or alternatively it will grow to foster adoption and new team members who can deliver alongside established seasoned hallowed team members who maybe would like to be able to add features but have their own pressures of work / family etc.

Dungog and others make a good living from SME. I don't need to. I have a pretty good job thanks - but what I do bring to the table that nobody else does is the lessons I've learnt from running the most successful non funded, VC free and much copied OpenSource project of the last ten years in the European space. There is no more mature opensource brand without funding anywhere on the planet with the commercial and accepted positioning than SmoothWall. Thats not bluster - thats fact - and while I have no wish - at all - to take Contribs commercial, you can use the same rulesets and bend them to fit a model of growth. I've done it once - what I didn't want to do was do it again. Swore to Sarah I wouldn't and she'd probably freak if she knew but the truth is I want this badly and if you want to see where this could go from a platform and a PR/awareness rebirth as well as a growth in the userbase then I can tell you one story.

Six and a half years ago I spoke to two men on the telephone who wanted advice on where to take their projects to make some revenue. One was Peter of ClarkConnect who followed my advice and made a considerable wedge and a good living and who I have a lot of time for, the other was a Jo Cheek of then Linuxcare who was porting Caldera and that became Redmond Linux and the rest was history. I've personally made sure that several Open Source GPL and BSD licenced projects have made it to the startline with personal funding and guidance etc. I've not enjoyed giving salient advice to people about OpenSource projects because every single one is different.

You or I can certainly guide and say avoid this pitfall or avoid this line of departure, but what you do learn is the humility required to surround yourself with people who can do your job better than you or who can visualise in their head what you mean from two sentences of email from 8400 miles away across an ocean and act on it. Without those relationships with people who share your vision you don't have a future. It's not just about electing an individual it's about capturing a mindset and if you look back at the archives of postings after Mitel released SME into the wild the passion was there the mindset was there but what was lacking was a focus and a direction. It's still lacking and that is not a criticism.

I know where I'd like Contribs to go look/feel wise. I can visualise it now and if you look at how simple reskins of SmoothWall added 20/30/40/50% more users and more PR in the CD cover media on magazines and how smoke and mirrors works wonders when attracting users from the non Linux space you'll understand why if you're going to do this you do it in a manner that does nothing to detract from the stability and the legacy of where we are. However what it needs to do is add the ability for a more modular, easy to swallow easy to own SME moving forward or you're going to have very little traction to get the headway competing with poorer product such as ClarkConnect etc.

Look at how other projects have used Perl, Ajax etc to make things look nice but really not deliver at the baseline. They have an amazing skin but the engine of a suburban. We have a stock v8 thats powered by industry standard libraries and accepted code and we need a new coat of paint and we need new thought and input that will lead to a 8.x tree and even a rebrand. Treat this as a commercial entity from day one from a project perspective (regardless of the fact that it isnt).

SmoothWall succeeded because we cheated. We ignored the community/Slashdot/the people you refer to. We read avidly, books on Apple, books on branding, we copied the SAGE accountancy company model of selling, we talked to proprietary companies (Checkpoint/Sonicwall etc). We talked to administrators. I even got thrown out of Europes biggest security show by security guys for giving away hundreds of business card sized smoothies to people leaving the Checkpoint stand with the "you don't need to spend money - this is better tag". It's not about money - its about ethics and love and enjoying what we do. I know for a fact from your postings sometimes almost as Charlies wingman that you've railed others. I've seen you do it. Not sure you'd do it again because you know that 1) later you re-read what you'd posted and looked a horses ass (I look back and cringe at the stuff I came out with ten years ago) 2) that it didn't feel that great.

If we don't enjoy what we do we aren't productive. If we aren't productive we don't move forward. I can't bring Contribs together as a team in a fortnight but what I can do is give you a foothold where I think you'd like to be far quicker, more permanently and with vision that I'm not sure anyone else can bring to the table. Who would be stupid enough (knowing how much was involved from experience to do this properly) to do this twice. If that doesn't make you think about the passion I bring then shut your browser and go do something in the kitchen.

Leave you with one note as you're all in a coma anyway by now: Last year I was doing work for the US Defense Dept/UK MoD. It involved visiting a University centre of excellence in military computing / intelligence / security where they teach the brighest and the best. After sitting with a group of coders and team leaders talking shop / classified project stuff I was taken to an auditorium where I was presented to a group of about 50+ post grads who were learning the in's and out's of ... SmoothWall as part of their Masters in Information Security. Someone had decided - nationally - to use our work to educate the future leaders of tomorrow. After an impromptu Q&A I drove home. Now... something created in a back bedroom with smoke and mirrors marketing from day one, with love, attention, sensible release schedules and a community that pushed it to every corner of the world led to that chance Q&A. Open Source that rainy afternoon gave me a reason to smile like a cheshire cat. Money or commercial stuff doesn't come close.

I'd love to see Contribs/SME in that same passionate light - not as an also ran or lumbered into the "is that project still going ?" camp. It's already 90% of the way there it's just the servicing, bodywork and the marketing that needs attention.
Richard
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 03:59:03 AM by dickmorrell »

Offline Normando

• +2/-1
    • Unixlan
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 04:41:42 AM »
I am afraid... :!:

Why you and not other?
If you can, other can too.

God save SME
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 05:03:49 AM by Normando »

Offline garret

• +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 05:33:54 AM »
Dick,

While you do have an impressive resume, I'm not sure it's a fit for this community.

Also, I will need to retract my offer of assistance. I think it's time that I and Ruffdogs be moving on also. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 04:15:36 PM by garret »

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 06:45:17 AM »
dick

You appear to be bringing personal issues into the job, and it was the attitude towards Charlie which exhibited an unprofessional approach.

No matter how extensive your experience is, someone who wants to be a business administrator of a large group of diverse people, needs to have more "people tact" than that.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 11:20:08 AM »
My 2c to mr Morrell

<off topic mode on>
I WAS a smoothwall user since the earlier releases.. And I installed SW from 0.8 to 2.0 because I thought it was a good product..

but the real problem with SW was with Dick's attitude: he WAS the project, he was THE leader..

SW support forums were full of rants of/on mr Morrell bat attitude towards the community: often rude and offensive in his public and private answers.. too bad.

I moved to IpCop and m0n0..
<off topic mode off>

SME is a great product, has a big community and, yes, it must have also a commercial branch, but IMVHO Dick is not the rigth person.

Ciao

Stefano

Offline dickmorrell

• +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 12:52:40 AM »
Ok well there was never a 0.8 release of SmoothWall so you were a less than attentive user my friend.

I've learnt over the years not to feed the troll element of the Open Source community because they're a necessary part of the food chain in the "environment" and life would be less colourful without them. I owned the forums - there were no rants on there - there was an irc server (which I also owned) where people would login with nothing to add and aged 15 / 16 want to have some fun and it was fun to have some fun with them and it became a point of amusement. Remember when SmoothWall started out I put the equivalent of three or four years mortgage payments to keep it alive for the first year and to cover all costs. When people then download and detract and you're up to say 40,000 users then realistically each one of those has cost me $2.30 to service. Please don't expect everyone to play nicely.

Luckily I've worked extremely hard at Linuxcare, VA Linux (on projects such as Sourceforge, some of the major High Availability projects on the globe etc) and since then on deploying some of the biggest Linux networks anywhere on the globe. It's earnt me a very good standard of living and a nice retirement but I still keep going and I still have a lot to give which is why I still fund projects.

A few weeks ago before Christmas I collapsed and was seriously ill in hospital with major renal issues with pipes coming out of who knows where and it made me think a lot about direction. I have a lot to give, experience, direction, personal funding and relationships and knowledge that could actually take this project somewhere rather than where it is now.

Reading between the lines there seems to be as much lack of objectivity and lack of common decency as there was when this project almost ate itself in late 2003 early 2004. If thats the case then Ray, HF etc I wish you luck as you'll need it.

Offline garret

• +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 01:34:34 AM »
Reading between the lines there seems to be as much lack of objectivity and lack of common decency as there was when this project almost ate itself in late 2003 early 2004. If thats the case then Ray, HF etc I wish you luck as you'll need it.

And why was it that the project did not eat itself?

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 02:08:53 AM »
A few weeks ago before Christmas I collapsed and was seriously ill in hospital with major renal issues with pipes coming out of who knows where and it made me think a lot about direction. I have a lot to give, experience, direction, personal funding and relationships and knowledge that could actually take this project somewhere rather than where it is now.

Glad you're ok. 

I don't know you at all Dick, your history with Charlie and RequestedDeletion predates my involvement.  I would just like to encourage everyone here to be civil and open minded.  It's easy to have what you write in an email or a forum post taken the wrong way, so lets all try to be nice, and maybe give people another chance :-)  I am glad to be hearing from you and anyone else that might like to participate in the leadership of SME Server Inc. 

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 02:14:04 PM »
dick

...there seems to be as much ... lack of common decency .....

You have avoided identifying and answering what I have asked of you, but instead criticise.
I have made no derogatory remarks to you or critiscised your past professional career and as far as I can remember have never said anything bad to you in these forums or elsewhere, I don't even know you.

I simply asked that you drop any personal attitudes you have to people involved with this project (which you openly stated), as I felt quoting those as a reason for wanting the job was not a virtue a leader should have and therefore not in the best interest of this project.

Is that such a hard thing to understand and take on board ?

Off topic
...seriously ill in hospital with major renal issues ... it made me think a lot about direction. I have a lot to give, experience, direction, personal funding and relationships and knowledge that could actually take this project somewhere rather than where it is now.

From what I understand of alternative approaches to health and what I have read about you (which I must assume has some merit as it couldn't all be blatant lies), it doesn't surprise me to hear that you experienced renal issues, your critical nature matches the disease condition. Read any good book about metaphysical causations of illness.
If you are truly looking to come to terms with your life and where your values should lie etc, then examine very carefully your attitudes as they are the source of your disease. Change these attitudes to more positive ones to improve your life and your health. I wish you well on your journey.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 04:06:09 PM »

Hi
Ok well there was never a 0.8 release of SmoothWall so you were a less than attentive user my friend.

oh, yes.. you are right ant it was a typo.. I meant 0.9..

I've learnt over the years not to feed the troll element

TROLL? me? are you joking? :-)

do you remember SW 1.0-p4?

Subject: Patch 4, snort errors & problems.. solution..
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.security.firewalls.smoothwall.general
Date: 2003-04-20 00:07:06 GMT (4 years, 39 weeks, 6 days, 14 hours and 46 minutes ago)

Hi all..

as many of us have experienced problems with snort after patch 4
application, I search trought Snort ML, SW log and finally find the
solutions to all problems..

with patch 4 snort is upgraded to the last stable versione, 2.0.. and
snort.conf id upgraded too, but it's incorrect (so the problem with scan
from own ip in log) and incomplete (and that's why snort dies in pc with 32
or less mb ram..)

ok, let's start..

in /etc/snort.conf comment out with a # line var HOME_NET any
this stop snort from log scans from our own ip..

then, before line

preprocessor frag2

write:

config detection: search-method lowmem

this says snort to work in environment poor of ram..
according to Snort ML, the minimum amount of ram to work without anything
else running is 64 mb.. :-|

save snort.conf and, from the web interface, restart ids..

That's all..

HTH

Regards

well.. that Stefano it's me.. patch 5 was released after this mail..

so, now, am I a troll?

please.. read my posts: they are over 600 on these forums and 4 or maybe 5 of them are questions.. the others are answers..

yours? 22.. mmmhh.. you are very involved in this project, no doubt about it..

and finally, please: stop saying who you are, who you know EVERY time you write here.. it's simply... boring and irritating..
do a search on google with "dick morrell rude smoothwall" (for example) and you'll get what people really think of you..

Ciao

Stefano

guest22

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 11:07:09 PM »
Well, I guess it's time to drop the personal issues and focus on what really needs our attention and energy.

@Dick, points taken, no reason to repeat them again.
@All, lets continue identifying possible candidates

NEXT please...

Offline garret

• +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 11:47:00 PM »
Also, remember, there are a number of spots to fill.

Garret

Offline dhipo

• +0/-0
    • Dhix Networks Everything Secure
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2008, 01:45:47 AM »
only to remember ...

i want collaborate .....

if i can contribute with  Hosting , mailservers, CVS Servers and/or infrastructure ...

think in me

Douglas

Quote ... i'm entusiastic of SME and worked in other projects like plone, pfsense.. but now i'm working on my own office (fresh and alone today), and looking to new ways.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 01:49:22 AM by dhipo »

Offline uniqsys

• +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2008, 11:37:42 PM »
Also, remember, there are a number of spots to fill.

Garret

Good Point!  For those of us who are ignorant... What are the posts to fill?  What are the responsibilities?  What are the qualifications? What are the time commitments?  Where is the process of election described?  Where can we read the bylaws? What are the deadlines? etc...etc.

I posted to the next thread on this forum about some of these issues, but never heard a response. Isn't that the thread we are to use to discuss/suggest offices and candidates?  Some of us would sincerely like to help without getting into personal issues but we need to be shown how.

If it is an election, lets get the candidates going, they can campaign and the rest of us can vote.  If people don't want someone, that person won't be elected.  :smile:  That's the Democratic way!

Waiting to hear. Uniqsys

Offline wellsi

• +0/-0
    • http://www.wellsi.com
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2008, 11:59:18 PM »
It would be good to have a link to the constitution, all my previous links to where it was are broken. It will explain what the open positions are.

guest22

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2008, 12:42:04 AM »
I believe that for an important process as this (2008 leaders) a proper process would be in order. Would it be wise to implement such a process, meaning did we learn something from the previous election processes?

I've lost track of the activities of the current leaders, and it is only the technical developers from the contribs .org team that are visible to me. Also the 'confusion' about donations to either contribs.org or developers personally is not clear to me. In short, all that was 'expected' of an elected 'management board' was not all that visable.

The developers and supporting team are doing an outstanding job! but I believe we are in need of pro-active engagement from the 'other' parts of the management team.

There are a zillion opportunities out there to 'market' SME Server, that's for sure. And there are many many organizations and individuals out there willing to provide support we anticipate. It should be the contribs.org team managing this, so we have to 'invest' time and our best efforts in the best possible process to achieve this.

My 'dream-team' would be:

* Ruffdogs (Garret), facilitating all hosting, including development machines
* Shad, Charlie, Ian, Stephan, Michael and team taking care of the development
* Cactus, Ray and team managing the web presence
* Byte, Ruffdogs and team managing public relations, marketing and expansion

- Clear communications
- Clear donations
- Clear road path
- Clear coorporation(s)

In short, have the best of the best take care of us.

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2008, 01:06:27 AM »
* Cactus and team managing the web presence
It is an honor to be named here, but at the moment there is no (official) team and I do not know for sure if I can make such a firm commitment as I have a lot of other tasks, wishes and things to take care of apart from lurking around the forums, bugzilla and the wiki :-)

guest22

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2008, 01:39:07 AM »
Well, your 'work' would stay the same then, other then being in charge 'for real' ;-)

Offline pfloor

• +1/-0
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2008, 06:50:15 AM »
My 'dream-team' would be:

* Ruffdogs (Garret), facilitating all hosting, including development machines
[...]

Sorry to say HF but it appears that the first part of your "Dream Team" has already retracted his offer to participate:

[...]
Also, I will need to retract my offer of assistance. I think it's time that I and Ruffdogs be moving on also. Thanks.

Besides that, ALL the hosting, servers, etc were moved months ago.  Ruffdogs/Holonyx/Garret hasn't provided hosting, bandwidth or technical support for the past 6 months or so.

-PF
In life, you must either "Push, Pull or Get out of the way!"

Offline kruhm

• +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2008, 06:57:03 AM »
Ruffdogs/Holonyx/Garret hasn't provided hosting, bandwidth or technical support for the past 6 months or so.

Code: [Select]
[root@server ~]# dig contribs.org

;; ANSWER SECTION:
contribs.org.           300     IN      A       75.146.90.141

Code: [Select]
Comcast Business Communications, Inc. CBC-CM-5 (NET-75-144-0-0-1)
                                  75.144.0.0 - 75.151.255.255
Comcast Business Communications, Inc. CBC-UTAH-7 (NET-75-146-88-0-1)
                                  75.146.88.0 - 75.146.91.255
Lordsfam-net LORDSFAM-NET (NET-75-146-90-136-1)
                                  75.146.90.136 - 75.146.90.143

Do SLORDS, CBRADY, GROWELL have any public comments/opinions/suggestions/nominations?

guest22

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2008, 07:25:37 PM »
Besides that, ALL the hosting, servers, etc were moved months ago.  Ruffdogs/Holonyx/Garret hasn't provided hosting, bandwidth or technical support for the past 6 months or so.

Then I must have missed the 'Thank you Garret/Ruffdogs and team for your support' mail.

Anyway, it all adds up to the confusion to this community. Is the proposed process of 2006 still in effect?

Offline imcintyre

• +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2008, 01:53:00 AM »
Did anyone come up with a link or information regarding the constitution/by-laws?

Offline cjensen

• +0/-0
    • http://acenet-tech.org
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2008, 07:32:49 PM »

Offline imcintyre

• +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2008, 09:03:18 PM »
The link works fine

Offline uniqsys

• +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2008, 02:31:00 AM »
Thanks for the link to the constitution.  Some questions:

1.  Is the constitution in force at this time?
2.  If so, the specified election procedure due date(s) is past.  What deadlines should be in place now?
3.  The constitution lays out a nomination time frame.  Are we in that now?
4.  Is this a self-nomination process or do we need to be "recommended"?
5.  Items in the original post on this thread imply some disorganization, eg. transferring money to an individual option.  This is unclear.  Why would one consider closing SME Server, Inc if it is just started and there is a call for nominations?  I think we need a little more focus on what is really being asked of us here so we can make some progress to the goal of electing a DM, CM and BM.  Let's get the campaigns started!

guest22

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2008, 01:28:27 AM »
Can SOMEBODY from the '2006 elected team' take the real lead in this all please???

If you take a look at the importance of this matter, its the least that team could still do....

I challenge the '2006 elected team' hereby to take the lead and properly coordinate/organize the written an agreed procedures within 1 week.

If this team fails to do so (officially react within 1 week with all details requested) , this community is entitled to overthrown this team and no longer recognize them any longer as the leading team. And ,I, as a member of this community, order the '2006 elected team' to make available to this community the following:

- All accurate wiki data
- Provide all public/Open Source credentials and code regarding hosting/contribs (e.g. ibiblio and other hosting resources that hold community resources)
- The contribs.org AND smeserver.org domains, and related DNS ownership
- Full ownership and administration of both contribs.org as well as smeserver.org, including all related legal agreements.
- All information/code that is in spirit of the GPL whatever version.

Legal entity details will be provided as soon as possible for the handover of all of the above and what has not been discussed yet. Please be aware that this community trusted a team in 2006, but will NOT cope with another disaster organization.

Getting real tired of this lack of pro-activity and energy. I've decided to keep a very close eye on this all and partner with US based resources to monitor legal events.

Personal issues with me? Do NOT waist the time of this community by posting here, but feel free to contact me directly at: XXXX AT gmail dot com. I have NO problem sharing any info with the community if you would require this in your mail to me directly. After all, this is a community, and we have no secrets.

I'm serious and a seriously hope the '2006 elected team' takes it's responsibility.

Offline uniqsys

• +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2008, 02:21:21 AM »
Quick update:

gregswallow,

Some of us think you have started the process for an election with this thread.  (See first post.)  Some are getting HOT (see HF post above) over no progress to that end.  Would you please clarify if an election/nomination process in underway or not.  As HF says, 
Do NOT waist (waste) the time of this community...
if an election is not in order and nothing needs to be done about the SME Server, Inc status.  Could you please let us know what the timetable for an election is? And could you let us know if the SME Server, Inc is in some danger of disintegration here?  Let's keep the peace.

Thank you,
uniqsys

Offline garret

• +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2008, 03:36:55 AM »
Hosting was pulled from Ruffdogs without any real explanation, other than it's what the board desired. That was fine enough.

My retraction was based on the fact of feeling like I have been pounding my head against the wall for years. The board has been a development centric board rather than business centric. I believe the board should be more about the business of SME Server then the development of it.

Given a supporting and energized team, I feel there is still a lot I have to offer to this community. It has been quite some time since I have had any say in what happens around here (I've had this conversation with Paul a number of times).

I feel like I do have a lot to offer, I have quite a bit of experience with the BUSINESS of open source and have been in quite a few communities at that level. I am not a developer, I am a businessman who has a keen understanding of software development. I also understand communities well and open source very well. I know how to get a project seen, and I know how to bring new eyes to a project. This project, http://restore-backup.com/, gets between 300 and 700 unique visitors daily and it's had over 30,000 downloads in it's first four full months, still being a very young project.

I can do this, it's what I do for a living, but I need the support in order to achieve the goals.

Offline pfloor

• +1/-0
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2008, 04:03:37 AM »
gregswallow,

Some of us think you have started the process for an election with this thread.  (See first post.)  Some are getting HOT (see HF post above) over no progress to that end.  Would you please clarify if an election/nomination process in underway or not.  As HF says,   if an election is not in order and nothing needs to be done about the SME Server, Inc status.  Could you please let us know what the timetable for an election is? And could you let us know if the SME Server, Inc is in some danger of disintegration here?  Let's keep the peace.

Thank you,
uniqsys

The election of a new board is WAY overdue and Greg called for nominations here: http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=39718.0

The constitution was voted upon and excepted (overwhelmingly if I remember correctly) by this community and 3 members stepped forward and filled the 3 positions and did their best.  They covered their positions for twice as long as expected and were able to push out 7.0, 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3 and are now working on 7.4 and 8.0

As of yet, I haven't seen anyone jump at the opportunity to nominate themeselves (or anyone else for that matter) so until there are candidates for the 3 available positions, I don't see any need for anyone from the current team to do anything but wait for you all to step up to the plate.  How can there be an election and how can they be replaced according to the constitution if no one is there to be voted on?  Can't really do much without candidates now can we?

Offline pfloor

• +1/-0
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2008, 04:06:35 AM »
Hosting was pulled from Ruffdogs without any real explanation, other than it's what the board desired. That was fine enough.

My retraction was based on the fact of feeling like I have been pounding my head against the wall for years. The board has been a development centric board rather than business centric. I believe the board should be more about the business of SME Server then the development of it.

Given a supporting and energized team, I feel there is still a lot I have to offer to this community. It has been quite some time since I have had any say in what happens around here (I've had this conversation with Paul a number of times).

I feel like I do have a lot to offer, I have quite a bit of experience with the BUSINESS of open source and have been in quite a few communities at that level. I am not a developer, I am a businessman who has a keen understanding of software development. I also understand communities well and open source very well. I know how to get a project seen, and I know how to bring new eyes to a project. This project, http://restore-backup.com/, gets between 300 and 700 unique visitors daily and it's had over 30,000 downloads in it's first four full months, still being a very young project.

I can do this, it's what I do for a living, but I need the support in order to achieve the goals.

Garrett, it "kind of" sounds like you are throwing your hat in the ring.  Are you nominating yourself here?  If so, what position do you seek?

Offline uniqsys

• +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2008, 04:27:58 AM »
pfloor,

I have watched http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=39718.0 and no one has come forward.  I am trying to get answers on the process.  Do the incumbents want to run?  Since is it WAY overdue what time limits are put on the election process now? Shouldn't the Communications Manger (whoever he is) run this show?  Who are the people in the positions now?  I searched the wiki & forums and couldn't find any info on it. Since you want candidates, go to
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=39718.0 as I will nominate Garrett for BM there not here as requested by Greg.

Offline garret

• +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2008, 06:32:18 PM »
Business Manager does make Since Paul. I am willing to run as Business manager.

Offline uniqsys

• +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2008, 06:40:18 PM »
You've been nominated.  See the nomination thread. Welcome to the campaign!

guest22

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2008, 08:26:39 PM »

I strongly support this. Vote #1 here ;-)

Offline garret

• +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2008, 02:56:59 PM »
Thanks guys, I accept.

guest22

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2008, 10:10:29 PM »
Would it be an idea to establish SLAs for all disciplines? Meaning, expectations, reporting, quality, protocol etc?

Offline Franco

• +0/-0
    • http://contribs.org
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2008, 05:39:28 AM »
What are the positions available? The constitution states 5 board members, being 3 from SME and 2 from the Corporate Sponsor.
I read the  03 directives, and also read the questions from the other topic about the costs and time taken to run the position.
Can anyone already involved, or that have being involved in the upcoming positions, please post what it takes to fill it?
I've been a SME user since 2002, after my involvement with Mitel through AT&T, I love the distribution and I would love to help. But without knowing the exact needs it becomes hard to get involved.

Thanks,

Offline Agent86

• +0/-0
    • http://www.iclbiz.com
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2008, 03:31:43 PM »
Hi all,

Good luck nominees
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 09:55:40 PM by Agent86 »

Offline imcintyre

• +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2008, 03:24:36 AM »
1) Who votes?
2) When is the vote?
3) I've counted 3 nominees for business manager but nothing for other positions. Is this right?
4) How about a resume page for each of the nominees?

My $0.02

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2008, 04:00:19 PM »
Would it be an idea to establish SLAs for all disciplines?

That's a good idea. For instance, I'd expect to see the Business Manager actually produce a business plan. I still haven't seen one from the incumbent. I'd expect the Development Manager to produce a number of releases. We did see those from the previous Development Manager.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 06:40:47 PM by CharlieBrady »

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2008, 06:39:30 PM »
Ray: I'm not sure I understand your point - but please do add some detail as I'm sure that you either 1) misunderstand 2) seem to have an issue that I'd love to have detailed.

I think a smilie at the end of the sentence Ray quoted might have eased his concerns. I didn't take you as seriously intending to run just to prove a point to me :-)

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2008, 07:05:34 PM »
Business Manager does make Since Paul.

Garrett, could you translate that into English please. I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Offline imcintyre

• +0/-0
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2008, 07:25:29 PM »
Since=sense?

Offline stephen noble

• +1/-0
    • Dungog
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2008, 11:53:52 PM »
I am really interested at being involved.

Richard, thanks for you interest in SME
Did you nominate for a specific position, if not I nominate you for Communications Manager.

ncg's comments reflect my feelings
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=39713.msg182820#msg182820

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #59 on: February 29, 2008, 12:04:25 AM »
Did you nominate for a specific position, if not I nominate you for Communications Manager.

I second that nomination, Richard clearly has a track record of both development & promotion that SME Server could benefit from.

Offline jdavey

• +0/-0
« Reply #60 on: February 29, 2008, 05:00:26 PM »
Quote from: snoble on Yesterday at 02:53:52 PM

I second that nomination, Richard clearly has a track record of both development & promotion that SME Server could benefit from

I'll third that! I would really like to consider Richard for Business Manager, if he's open to it. I know that he would get SME Server in front of many eyes, and move it towards being known as a distinct brand.

Note that I have the utmost respect and gratitude for the developers and the incumbents, but SME needs to take the next step in terms of evolving. Ever forward.

guest22

« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2008, 09:56:40 AM »
As I stated before, I personally am open minded, BUT not ignorant of history....

One that bugged me all along is the Dick/Richard thing. Heck, my name isn't easy, but is less confusing...

I would suggest to the initiators of the selection procedure to publish the clear procedure (again) to take advantage of the momentum and getting things done. Or was there already a wiki page(s)?

Offline stephen noble

• +1/-0
    • Dungog
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2008, 10:24:09 AM »
as Paul said http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=39713.msg183675#msg183675

there isn't much that can be done until people nominate,
the link to the constitution is now clear, so people can see what is required.

The few of us developing SME will continue to do so regardless of any election process.
If anyone wants to help in any capacity nothing is stopping them from doing so now.

I think you have made you position clear RequestedDeletion, so our votes will cancel out
The circumstances now are entirely different

I can't see why someone from the Netherlands should be called Dutch, that's history for you

Offline electroman00

• +0/-0
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2008, 07:37:18 PM »
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 03:34:38 PM by electroman00 »

Offline stephen noble

• +1/-0
    • Dungog
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2008, 10:43:11 PM »
just fyi, it's stephen not shad

the constitution was hard to find, it's shouldn't be now, both new threads point to it

we all want to SME improve, if I was unclear that may demonstrate why I'm not standing for a leadership role

An example is Normando stepping up and beginning the translations project. Thanks to him we now have a shiny new system and seven new languages underway.

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2008, 08:35:52 PM »
I am willing to run as Business manager.

Thanks for volunteering Garret.  I really appreciate you keeping things going on the business/money side of things as well while we are in limbo here.  I apologize for being silent the past while.  I was hoping  (and still hoping) for a few more people to step forward and run for one of the leadership roles.

The few of us developing SME will continue to do so regardless of any election process.
If anyone wants to help in any capacity nothing is stopping them from doing so now.

True, it is proven that works for development. But I think we do need a leader (or leaders) with a vision of: (like I said already)
- how to make SME Server a more popular distribution
- how to encourage and reward the developers
- how to collect donations and/or fees from a larger percentage of the community of people that use SME Server
Honestly, I still think it will be near impossible for a group of 3 to agree on the details of such a vision, and the logistics of making decisions between 3 people in different time zones is tedious, which was why I suggested at first that the Business Manager role have the final decision on making all the above ideas happen.  Garret, I think you have a vision to make all that happen, am I right?  And I know there are people that want to help, but just not in a structured role - myself included in that category, and Shad, Stephen, etc, etc. If it takes voting as a community to change the constitution to amend the leadership structure then I think we should consider that. 

Greg

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2008, 08:42:18 PM »
If it takes voting as a community to change the constitution to amend the leadership structure then I think we should consider that.
I do agree on that, but I would like to know for what I will be voting than, until know I am not aware of any plans (laid out in draft).

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2008, 09:15:29 PM »
I do agree on that, but I would like to know for what I will be voting than, until know I am not aware of any plans (laid out in draft).

I think my suggested changes to the constitution could be summarized as:
- combining the Communications Manager and Business Manager roles into one
- having the Development Manager role a meritocratic one, not involved in business/money decisions at all.  Perhaps not even designating one person as a Development Manager is needed - the team effort of developing seems to be doing fine.

Just want to stress that this is just my opinion, but I think it warrants discussion as the plan of voting in 3 new leaders is not going as hoped.

Offline stephen noble

• +1/-0
    • Dungog
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2008, 02:45:45 AM »
Excellent idea

here is the process to change the Constitution
http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Constitution#Amendment_Procedure

lets draft the changes to vote on here
http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Constitution_2008

you can see the changes by looking at changes in history between first and last

can we make it a minimal change, eg
we vote for a President,
who can form a "Leadership committee" as per existing if they choose (and volunteers step up)

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2008, 03:02:02 AM »
Excellent idea

Thanks for your support, but before we get ahead of ourselves, remember it relies on someone wanting the combined role.  Garret didn't say he was yet...  And maybe there are others that would be interested in that type of position?  Lets get discussion going about it at least.

Offline stephen noble

• +1/-0
    • Dungog
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2008, 03:26:38 AM »
sure, but cactus wanted to see a draft of what the proposed change was, a fair point