Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

RSYNC on SME?

Offline dave simmons

• +0/-0
RSYNC on SME?
« on: January 26, 2008, 10:42:04 PM »
Hi,

Is rsync part of the SME installation?

I've searched the forums and I can't find much information. 

What I would like to do is use rsync on SME to backup over the internet - to take data from a remote site to our server here.  I have got this working to a FreeNAS box, but it would be good if I could also do this on SME - the SME machine is running here 24/7 and the FreeNAS box is only running because it has a very easy-to-use interface, which enabled me (complete novice) to get rsync to work.  I don't need the FreeNas box for anything else, so I could save on power consumption if I could also get it onto the SME box.

I would be very grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Confucius

• +0/-0
Re: RSYNC on SME?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 11:44:16 PM »
To answer your 1st question...

Yes, rsync is included. version 2.6.9 at the moment.

Hooking up to a NAS over the net seems interesting but I never did that myself.

Offline dave simmons

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 11:54:46 PM »
Hi Confucius,

Yes - it works great to FreeNAS (because I can configure some rsync options using an internet Interface- for example the destination directory).

What I need to know is how to set up the rsync service to make this backup - maybe to an i-bay on the SME machine.  I'm handling security via a VPN tunnel between netscreen boxes, so all I need is a few pointers to configure the SME machine so I can switch off the FreeNAS box.

Offline uniqsys

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 02:41:53 AM »

Is rsync part of the SME installation?
Yes as previously stated.

I've searched the forums and I can't find much information. 
I have no experience with FreeNAS but, since backup over the internet using rsync is what you are looking for, you might try the Affa Contrib.   It packs a lot of feature punch, uses rsync, is easy to set up and easy to configure.  Using one PC you can backup several others either locally or over the LAN. Read about it here...

http://wiki.contribs.org/Affa

I would be very grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance.
You're welcome.   :-)  Hope this helps.

Offline warren

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 08:20:13 AM »
What I would like to do is use rsync on SME to backup over the internet - to take data from a remote site to our server here.

uniqsys,

If you are collecting/retrieving data from another SMe box, you could do as follows:

Code: [Select]
#/usr/bin
rsync -avz -e 'ssh -2 -p 22 -i /priv_key_file_of_remote_box' root@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/home/e-smith/files/ibays/ibay_name/html/ /home/e-smith/files/ibays/ibay_name_destination/html

In this code, the machine that is retrieving data from a remote SME is doing so using pub/priv keys, so the remote machines private key file is located in "/" on the machine where the rsync script is running

Offline dave simmons

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 11:08:05 AM »
Thank you for your replies.

Just to clarify - the remote box I want to backup is a Windows 2003 Server at the remote site which runs Deltacopy (a sort of graphical configuration tool for rsync?) in client mode to backup to a FreeNAS here.  What I am looking for - as rsync seems already to be installed on SME - is guidance on how to find and configure rsync to receive backups from this remote site on the SME server.

I have now looked at the link to Affa (thank you for the suggestion!) - and will try installing it on a test machine.  Does anyone out there have any experience of linking to Affa using Deltacopy client?  At a first reading of the Affa link, the Deltacopy client would appear to do about the same thing as what is described in the Windows section, so I'll try it - it's Sunday after all!

I have to have a Windows server at the remote site, as it is running a software package which demands it.

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 11:58:36 AM »

Offline m

• +0/-0
  • Peet
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 04:21:44 PM »
dave,

Does anyone out there have any experience of linking to Affa using Deltacopy client?  At a first reading of the Affa link, the Deltacopy client would appear to do about the same thing as what is described in the Windows section

I havn't tried it but I guess it will work when you set the Affa properties rsyncdModule and rsyncdUser properly. If you run Deltacopy w/o authentication simply leave rsyncdUser and rsyncdPassword empty.

Offline byte

• +2/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 05:02:02 PM »
Moving this topic to the SME 7.x contribs forum, it is more appropriate there. Thanks!
--[byte]--

Have you filled in a Bug Report over @ http://bugs.contribs.org ? Please don't wait to be told this way you help us to help you/others - Thanks!