Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

"newbie" virtual domain for webhost's mail pop acc

leoscorp

"newbie" virtual domain for webhost's mail pop acc
« on: April 04, 2002, 08:34:13 PM »
After reading this"Important" below in the user guide, I think this is my problem
Secondary mail server set to "mail.tsarch.com.au"
So I set up a virtual domain for tsarch.com.au
Here is where I get messed up under Create, remove, or change hostnames
mail.tsarch.com.au points to what??????
remote,local or self?????
what dns or ip address?????

under "mail.tsarch.com.au"
Have tried webhost main domain ip addess which has mx record for the mail address
Have tried webhost mail ip address.

And this email from "Cron /etc/startmail" comes with.
fetchmail: couldn't time-check the run-control file
fetchmail: lock creation failed.

Have read all the doc's I can find
I'm missing something simple please help.

regards
leoscorp

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Important
While the server is prepared to offer web and e-mail services for this virtual domain, there is one more step that must occur. In order for users on the Internet to successfully connect to your machine using the virtual domain, you will need to work with your ISP or whoever controls the DNS entries for your virtual domain to have the appropriate DNS entries pointed to the IP address of your server. For instance, your ISP will need to configure an MX record for the domain in order for you to receive inbound e-mail to that domain. ServiceLink subscribers will have this automatically taken care of as part of their ServiceLink subscription.
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kelvin

Re: "newbie" virtual domain for webhost's mail pop
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2002, 08:42:44 AM »
Hi Leoscorp,

Let's see if I have it right :-
Your SME connects to the internet via an ISP (we'll call it ISP)
Your domain (called yourdomain.com.au) is hosted by a webhost (called webhost)
Your SME server is configured with the domain name yourdomain.com.au

Some assumptions :-
Your webhost provides a web site with address www.yourdomain.com.au
Your webhost provides a mail server with address mail.yourdomain.com.au

If your setup is fairly close to the above, you first need to find the real IP address of www.yourdomain.com.au and mail.yourdomain.com.au (use a standard dial up to the internet - not via SME, then ping www.yourdomain.com.au and mail.yourdomain.com.au to get the IP addresses and write them down).

You setup SME as follows :-
Under E-mail Retrieval set the retrieval mode to Multi-Drop, delegate mail server must be blank, secondary mail server as the IP address for mail.yourdomain.com.au, the collection frequency - your choice, then the username and password for your multi drop mailbox.

Under Other e-mail settings, you can usually leave everything as default.

Under hostnames and addresses, change the entry for www and make the location remote and set the Global IP to the IP address for www.yourdomain.com.au that you found from above.

If this does not reflect your configuration or setup, please repost your question giving DETAILED information.

Kelvin

Rick

Re: "newbie" virtual domain for webhost's mail pop
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2002, 04:02:46 PM »
Can you be more specific as to what it is you are trying to do, are you trying to get your e-smith box to collect mail? do you have a registered domain name? are you hosting your own website? I notice you do have a site. with a bit more info about what you are trying to achieve you should get some better answers.