Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

HOW-TO (draft): Mythtv as a backend on sme server

Offline christian

• +0/-0
    • http://www.szpilfogel.com
Re: HOW-TO (draft): Mythtv as a backend on sme server
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 04:02:10 AM »
I started to look into when I was setting up the backend and it was clear it would get involved. As Cactus mentioned and in addition to what you did already with Apache is the need for mod-rewrite. As soon as I saw that, I postponed my activities with Mythweb. But you will be a king in my eyes if you figure out a decent recipe.

At the moment, in the off moments I get, I'm trying to set up an old IBM Thinkpad A21m to run a front end using S-Video. So far so good. I actually got the S-video running in the ATI chip and am just trying to find a way to adjust the modeline settings for it. I can honestly say those old ATI  chips are not for the faint of heart!

Christian
SME since 2003

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 09:11:22 AM »
I started to look into when I was setting up the backend and it was clear it would get involved. As Cactus mentioned and in addition to what you did already with Apache is the need for mod-rewrite. As soon as I saw that, I postponed my activities with Mythweb. But you will be a king in my eyes if you figure out a decent recipe.
Because of rewrites being used by the basic server configuration mod_rewrite is already loaded so that is something you do not need to worry about... the only thing you need to worry is about is to make sure rewrite and ibay name are matching I guess, I believe mythweb expects to be ran in http://server/mythweb/
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

guest22

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 02:28:17 PM »
Added info to the wiki ( http://wiki.contribs.org/MythTV ) on how to enable Mythweb. 99% 'stolen' from an old post by Duncan ;-)

Verified and works on SME Server 7.3

Offline christian

• +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 03:21:03 PM »
Thanks HF!

Now I also now know what to do for my "Gallery" set up to use mod-rewrite properly. Cactus, this was where I bumped into mod-rewrite before and the way Gallery errored out, I assumed mod-rewrite wasn't enabled; hence my comment.

Christian
SME since 2003

Offline mmellon

• +0/-0
Thanks to all involved for the mythtv howtos!

I have followed both (all three?  confused as to how many there are....), and it doesn't work.  specifically, here's where I'm stuck (two places):

First:
ssh -X etc... mythtv-setup throws a segmentation fault after reporting the correct display resolution for either of the two different ubuntu pc's I have tried it from.  mythtv 0.20.2 claims to have fixed this very bug on non-XRandR displays, but I've got it... weird.  So I can't actually configure mythtv, but I did load sql and connect remotely and all that other stuff before the setup part.

Second:
I have tried lots of different ways to install ivtv drivers -- well, two ways.  that listed with yum, and also yum localinstall.  neither work b/c ivtv and ivtv firmware throw a "...init...mpg" conflicts with the other.  Any ideas?  I can't get past that step either.  Seems like the howtos are written by, and for, far more intelligent folks than me..... *Many* thanks in advance for any help...

--Matt

Offline mmellon

• +0/-0
Hello,

I still get this no matter how many of the steps I check, recheck and do over.

/usr/bin/mythtv-setup
2008-02-04 15:03:28.453 Using runtime prefix = /usr
2008-02-04 15:03:28.459 DPMS is active.
2008-02-04 15:03:28.464 New DB connection, total: 1
2008-02-04 15:03:28.465 Connected to database 'mythconverg' at host: localhost
2008-02-04 15:03:28.466 Total desktop dim: 1366x768, with 1 screen.
2008-02-04 15:03:28.482 Using screen 0, 1366x768 at 0,0
Segmentation fault

(The resolution depends on which machine I am ssh -X'ing in from, but the result is always the above.)  I use mythbuntu with xorg up-to-date on one machine, and ubuntu on another.  I can't get to the mythtv-setup at all.  Anyone?  Any ideas?

I even carefully checked each package in the "vaguely recalled installing" section of the "howto".  Just can't get it to work.

Many thanks,

--Matt

Offline mmellon

• +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 09:13:12 PM »
no idea why there was strikeout in my previous post....  must've slipped.

Offline christian

• +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 01:39:56 AM »
strange. I'm in a rush but just a quick note...

and from the client side machine that is already running X on it, you opened a terminal window and typed:
Code: [Select]
ssh -X root@smeserveraddress /usr/bin/mythtv-setup
Correct?

for interest sake, I run my X at 1024x768 and my colour depth is 24

It may be worth trying that.

Where is the segfault? on your X machine or the sme server?

Christian
SME since 2003

Offline mmellon

• +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2008, 06:35:50 PM »
Thanks for the reply and time at all!

I am running two machines, and have tried several things from each.  Both are 24 bit, one is 1024x768 and the other 1366x768.  I have also tried 800x600 (suggested as a solution in an ubuntuforums post), but to no avail.  Both of these machines are ubuntu 7.10 up-to-date (one is studio, the other mythbuntu).

In addition, I have tried a Mepis 6 live cd and an Ubuntu 6 live cd (because I had them lying around -- both still use Xorg though, in case this is an xorg vs. xfree issue).

Maybe I should roll-back all mythtv related installs and try again, one step at a time, confirming success along the way.  I did have to do localinstall for all of the libmyth*, as the command in the howto found "no packages matching" any of those names.

I think I would have to yum remove all packages and mysql drop the mythconverg database.  Anything else?

Very gratefully, and hoping to help document whatever's going on....

--Matt

Offline mmellon

• +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 06:39:19 PM »
Oops.. meant to add:

Yes, that is the command exactly, both with root@hostname and root@localipaddress to connect to the SME server / myth-to-be-backend.

In addition, I have ssh -X root@smeserver in and then used the ensuing shell to execute /usr/bin/mythtv-setup to get the line with the segfault -- this line is ommited if I run it all in one string with ssh -X .../mythtv-setup

I wonder if there is something small I can install on the SME server, like xcalc, just to verify that any x app can run -- without installing a full x dependency....  Any ideas there?

Thanks!  As you must have noticed, I'm a bit green, but I am trying to be resourceful without bugging anybody....

--Matt

Offline christian

• +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2008, 05:04:34 AM »
Thanks for the reply and time at all!
We're all in this together and I'll do what I can. Just a bit busy lately. And oh to be honest, I'm not an expert; I know my way around but some of these things are a mission of discovery for me too.

In addition, I have tried a Mepis 6 live cd and an Ubuntu 6 live cd (because I had them lying around -- both still use Xorg though, in case this is an xorg vs. xfree issue).
I'm using CentOS 4.x (which is xorg) for my test environment and it is running on a virtual machine on my XP box. I also have current Knoppmyth connected as a FrontEnd without issue.

Maybe I should roll-back all mythtv related installs and try again, one step at a time, confirming success along the way.  I did have to do localinstall for all of the libmyth*, as the command in the howto found "no packages matching" any of those names.
This makes me suspicious that you may not have brought in the right packages on the sme box. Have you compared your rpm's with those listed in the HowTo? (Though those may be dated by now).

If you were getting "no packages matching" then you likely didn't set up the additional repositories properly or didn't enable them on the yum line per the HOW-TO.

Which box had the segfault? If it was your SME box then my guess is bad RPMs there. If it was the Ubuntu box then it could be either but I would guess it is an Ubuntu related compatibility issue.

I suppose you could try something like xcalc but I'm not sure if that will prove anything. Have you tried installing another OS (say CentOS) to eliminate Ubuntu as an issue? If you don't want to disturb your existing computers then you may wish to try VirtualBox or Microsoft Virtual PC on say an XP machine (just to avoid Ubuntu for now).

Christian
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 05:13:19 AM by christian »
SME since 2003

Offline mmellon

• +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2008, 05:55:08 AM »
Thanks once again.

I'll try a roll-back, and to find all of the 0.20.2 packages.  It seems to me that the segfault is on the SME box, as it appears inside of the ssh terminal session (which was indeed launched from the working ubuntu environment).  I don't really know how to tell for sure, but that's what it seems to me.

Also, the libmyth*, well all the lib* sections of the howto didn't work for me -- I tracked them down manually in a webbrowser in atrpms and then pasted the link to each in a wget in ssh, and finally did a yum installlocal for those.  It seems that the versions of all of these files on atrpms might be either (a.) incompatible with sme, or (b.) incompatible with each other.  However, this is just a guess.

Lastly, I definitely ran into trouble with ivtv fighting with ivtv-firmware over something with init.mpg or init...mpg in it's name.  I had to do a "force" install via rpm on those, but I'm not even far enough along to need ivtv yet, and so that shouldn't enter into yet.

I could certainly try from a centos live cd (which i have used elsewhere in virtualbox).  I think I should definitely uninstall all, drop the db, accumulate all the right rpms and try a yumlocalinstall, then load the mc.sql anew.  Could you or anyone else comment on matching versions of the various rpms needed, specifically the myth* and the lib* rpms?

Many thanks again,

--Matt

Offline mmellon

• +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2008, 05:56:09 AM »
ps... can appreciate the busy... we have a new baby, and this is bottom of the list, but first to get the noisy new machine out of the living room and to the basement where it belongs...

Offline christian

• +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2008, 01:49:03 PM »
you may wish to break the yum installs down to how I did it at the beginning of this thread (as opposed to the How-to) and see if it makes a difference or at least see where it is not working. This may help pin down the issue and see if the How-to needs to be updated.

I assume you are on 7.3? I started the How-to when I was at 7.2 and 7.3 updated the CentOS base. However my set up is still working. Where did you get the rpms you are using?

Also I'm sure you know this already but please be careful with the Force command.
SME since 2003

Offline mmellon

• +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2008, 02:13:26 PM »
Going well after a complete uninstall and dropped mythconverg.

I downloaded and yum localinstalled all of the files referenced, as they are now in mythtv-0.20.2-x folder in atrpms.  This has worked, although the ivtv error remains:
Dependencies Resolved

=============================================================================
 Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size
Installing:
 ivtv-kmdl-2.6.9-67.0.1.ELsmp  i686       1:0.4.10-114.el4  ivtv-kmdl-2.6.9-67.0.1.ELsmp-0.4.10-114.el4.i686.rpm  455 k
Installing for dependencies:
 ivtv                    i386       1:0.4.10-114.el4  atrpms            137 k
 ivtv-firmware           noarch     2:20070217-16    atrpms            128 k

Transaction Summary
Install      3 Package(s)         
Update       0 Package(s)         
Remove       0 Package(s)         
Total download size: 720 k
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
(1/1): ivtv-firmware-2007 100% |=========================| 128 kB    00:00     
warning: only V3 signatures can be verified, skipping V4 signature
Running Transaction Test
Finished Transaction Test

Transaction Check Error:   file /lib/firmware/v4l-cx2341x-init.mpg conflicts between attempted installs of ivtv-firmware-20070217-16 and ivtv-0.4.10-114.el4
  file /lib/modules/v4l-cx2341x-init.mpg conflicts between attempted installs of ivtv-firmware-20070217-16 and ivtv-0.4.10-114.el4

This is where I had finally done a --force with the rpm command.

I'll skip IVTV and come back to it; I should be able to run setup w/out it.

Thanks again for the help!
--Matt