Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

403 Forbidden on anything in /opt, Ibays work OK...

Offline haymann

• +0/-0
403 Forbidden on anything in /opt, Ibays work OK...
« on: November 19, 2007, 03:05:45 PM »
I am very confused... :?
Last night I was using the SME Site Maker script to install Jinzora (I know there is a contrib, I want to set things up a little differently...). Everything went fine, but I decided that I wanted to change the name of the directory in /opt that I installed Jinzora in, and I also wanted to move my music files so they were not in the Jinzora directory like I had originally had them. No problem, I moved my music files (somewhat awkwardly as I had trouble getting all of the music directories without getting the  music's parent directory), I deleted the jinzora directory in /opt, I deleted the custom certificate that SME Site Maker had created, I expanded the template, and restarted httpd. I then decided to copy my music to /opt/media, this may not be a good idea, I just wanted it somewhere where I would be sure to back it up and not create an Ibay for it... I then used the Site Maker script to create a new directory in /opt and proceeded to unpack the Jinzora files to there. All was going well until I got to the web part of the install; when I tried www.mydomain.com/music I got a 403 forbidden. I thought that was odd so I went to my home page (installed in /opt and using symlinks in the primary Ibay) and got a 403 forbidden there too. I then tried server-manager and got the error there too.  :?
I then tried my Ibays and were surprised when they worked... Most of them don't have any web stuff, but two of them have mediawiki running and I was shocked when the wikis were working...

I am wondering if I somehow changed the permissions of /opt or everything in /opt? I didn't chmod or chown anything, but like I mentioned before, I stumbled around for a little while getting my music where I wanted it. I don't know where in the process I "locked myself out", I didn't notice it until I went to finish the Jinzora install from the browser (which had worked just fine an hour or so before...)

Not working:
  • server-manager (even logged in as admin on the server I get the forbidden error)
  • phpmyadmin (installed in /opt)
  • roundcube email (installed in /opt)
  • wordpress (installed in /opt, symlinks to Primary Ibay)
  • Newer version of Wordpress (installed in /opt)
  • Jinzora (installed in /opt)

Looking at /var/log/httpd I see a lot more of this error than usual, but I think that is because I tried to restart httpd several times...
Code: [Select]
[warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `keystone.xxxxxxx.xxx' does NOT match server name!?
I can also see when I try to access my main site, but I don't know if it is telling me anything useful
Code: [Select]
(13)Permission denied: /home/e-smith/files/ibays/Primary/html/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readableI just don't see anything that looks like the cause of the problem...

I would appreciate any assistance that I can get!
Ryan

Edit - Maybe a mod wants to move this to the contribs board? I couldn't decide where it would be better to post...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 03:13:10 PM by haymann »

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: 403 Forbidden on anything in /opt, Ibays work OK...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 04:03:15 PM »
Last night I was using the SME Site Maker script to install Jinzora...

In that case, your post is off-topic for this particular forum ...

Offline haymann

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 04:26:57 PM »
In that case, your post is off-topic for this particular forum ...
That is why I added the edit to the bottom of the post.

I don't think that it was anything to do with the script, but something I did in the process of messing around. I posted here because it affected server-manager access, but after I posted I thought that since this came about while installing additional functionality I should have posted in the other board. I am sure one of our helpful mods will be along shortly to rectify the matter...

Thanks for the help though.

Offline haymann

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 02:44:33 AM »
Any other information that I can add that would help? I'm drawing a blank still...
Thanks,
Ryan

Offline shell

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 03:25:52 AM »
I'm not an expert, but have some ideas of what I would be looking into...

I am not sure about this comment in your initial problem:
I deleted the custom certificate that SME Site Maker had created,

I have used the SME Site Maker and don't recall a certificate in the equation.
Maybe have a search for removing certificates and then adding them again.  I have read a number of problems with certificates and server-manager.

Or perhaps you meant template...  Do you get errors on expanding the httpd.conf template?   What about restarting the service. You should be able to delete the 99site template fragments made by the SME Site Maker (or at least move them) and re-expand the template.  Try creating a new setup for testing using the site maker and check the permissions and contents of this file against your earlier template fragments.  Also what does the httpd.conf look like - any obvious differences in the directives for the /opt and the ibays?

Cheers, shell

Offline haymann

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 04:07:25 AM »
I am not sure about this comment in your initial problem:
I have used the SME Site Maker and don't recall a certificate in the equation.
You're right, I meant template :oops:

No, I didn't get any errors when expanding the template, at least none that I have come across so far.

I don't see anything obvious (at least to me) in httpd.conf. I know that the 99site fragments that I still have work, because I have been using them for weeks and months and haven't changed the other ones... I also don't get why I can't access the server-manager, I don't even know where those files are located...

Thanks shell, I appreciate it.

Offline haymann

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 09:04:19 PM »
Not much new here, but when I copied the contents of /opt/wordpress to /home/e-smith/files/ibays/Primary/html and changed the PHPBaseDir property to allow that path. My site is back up... I will have to change some things if I leave it here as some things appear to still be pointing to /opt, but at least I don't have a forbidden message like I did when the Primary ibay contained the symlinks to /opt.

Does anyone know where the files are for the server-manager page? I can kind of understand that I might have done something to mess up everything in the /opt directory, but how would that affect permissions to server-manager as well???

As always, any insights would be welcome.
Thanks,
Ryan

Offline haymann

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 03:33:13 PM »
Still banging my head on this one...

I have removed all the custom templates, expanded the http.conf template and restarted httpd, but I still get the error. The PHPMyAdmin install was a contrib and did not have a custom template in the same place that SME SiteMaker has them, but the files are in the /opt directory. And I don't even know how the server-manager page fits into this...

I have copied the stuff from /opt to my primary ibay and everything works fine. I haven't moved over phpmyadmin yet, but I am going to try that too.

Any ideas on where to look? I am not looking forward to rebuilding the server...
Thanks,
Ryan

Offline byte

• +2/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 05:05:30 PM »
Moving this topic to the SME 7.x contribs forum, it is more appropriate there. Thanks!
--[byte]--

Have you filled in a Bug Report over @ http://bugs.contribs.org ? Please don't wait to be told this way you help us to help you/others - Thanks!

Offline haymann

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 06:27:16 PM »
Well I finally used ssh and installed the most recent updates and after the server restarted I could get to server-manager again!! I don't know what the deal was there... I still could not get to anything in /opt though.

I wondered if it was truly a permissions thing with /opt (now that I could access the server-manager) so I looked at the ownership of /opt and saw that it was listed as root. I chowned it to www and now it appears that I can get to everything again. Can someone confirm what their /opt ownership is for me please? I have no idea how that would have gotten changed...

I was going to look at that earlier, but the server-manager files are not in /opt and I was getting the same error when I tried to access it. That was really throwing me off...

Thanks,
Ryan
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 09:42:54 PM by haymann »

Offline haymann

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 04:13:51 AM »
Yeah, I hadn't done any updates before this happened, but I did try a post-upgrade and reboot anyway at some point... I got the same forbidden error, so I assumed that it must have been the same problem that happened with the contents of /opt (not that I knew what that problem was...). But since the server-manager page was available after updates, but the /opt stuff was still inaccessible I'm not so sure. Still wish I knew what I did...
Ryan