Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Setting up new Windows XP clients on an SME 6.x domain

Offline thallanor

• +0/-0
Setting up new Windows XP clients on an SME 6.x domain
« on: November 14, 2007, 07:33:31 PM »
I realize that SME 6.x is now outdated -- I am using SME 7.2 at home and am testing -- and am working on upgrading the setup at work, but I have an urgent question.  What changes are necessary to a Windows XP client to allow users to join the domain?  I have installed the .reg file that comes with SME 6.x and this allows me to add the PC to the domain, but I find that they have very limited user privileges.  This does not occur if I create a new user and login to a PC that is already on the domain.  (I just started working here six months ago and this place was my introduction to SME Server.)  At the moment, the only way that I am able to give people on new PCs sufficient access to install software is to modify /etc/smb.conf and add them as a domain admin, something that I am extremely uncomfortable with, but fortunately I have just had to do this for a couple new PCs, but we have several PCs ready to be installed, and without being able to give them proper access, I am reluctant to do so.  This has certainly fasttracked the upgrade to SME 7.2, but at the moment, I am between a rock and a hard place.  If someone could offer me some suggestions, I would really appreciate it.  Thanks!

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Re: Setting up new Windows XP clients on an SME 6.x domain
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 11:34:25 AM »
At the moment, the only way that I am able to give people on new PCs sufficient access to install software is to modify /etc/smb.conf and add them as a domain admin, something that I am extremely uncomfortable with, but fortunately I have just had to do this for a couple new PCs, but we have several PCs ready to be installed, and without being able to give them proper access, I am reluctant to do so.  This has certainly fasttracked the upgrade to SME 7.2, but at the moment, I am between a rock and a hard place.  If someone could offer me some suggestions, I would really appreciate it.  Thanks!
How about adding a group with all the users to the Power User or Adminstrator group on every PC? This will save you from setting them as a domain admin whilst having more privileges on their own PC.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline thallanor

• +0/-0
Re: Setting up new Windows XP clients on an SME 6.x domain
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 06:18:27 PM »
How about adding a group with all the users to the Power User or Adminstrator group on every PC? This will save you from setting them as a domain admin whilst having more privileges on their own PC.
Hmm.  I think I understand what you are saying.  I could do the following:

Right-click My Computer, click Manage.  Double-click Local Users and Groups.  Click Groups.  Right-click Power Users or Administrators, click Add to Group...  Click the Advanced tab.  Click Find Now, search for Authenticated Users.  Click OK.

I performed that on my test PC and it worked!  Thanks for the idea, that did the trick! :)