Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Admin / root - different passwords

Offline AlexG

• +0/-0
Admin / root - different passwords
« on: November 05, 2007, 05:04:53 AM »
Hi forum

Admin and root have always the same password while installation. Is there a reason? Is there any effect if the passwords are different? I experienced that it is not possible anymore to log into the server-manager if they are different.

Best regards
AlexG

Offline warren

• +0/-0
Re: Admin / root - different passwords
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 10:49:12 AM »
Hi forum

Admin and root have always the same password while installation. Is there a reason? Is there any effect if the passwords are different? I experienced that it is not possible anymore to log into the server-manager if they are different.

Best regards
AlexG

As for the reason that they are the same, the devs could shed light on the exact technical reasons, suffice to say they are the same for a reason.

Is there any effect if the passwords are different?

I think you have found out the effect  :sad:
I experienced that it is not possible anymore to log into the server-manager ...

You will need to logon to the console and set the admin passwd the same as the root passwd

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 11:06:28 AM »
You will need to logon to the console and set the admin passwd the same as the root passwd
And in the wiki is described how to do it.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline del

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 09:32:52 PM »
I have used different passwords for admin and root on my file server for at least 2 years  :-) and have never had a problem  8)
Del
If at first you don't succeed, then sky-diving is not for you!
"Life is like a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once." --Author Unknown

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 09:34:13 PM »
I have used different passwords for admin and root on my file server for at least 2 years  :-) and have never had a problem  8)
Del
Are you sure it was an SME Server?
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline del

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 10:59:47 PM »
Yes it's SME Sever 7.2 and all did was run the passwd command for root and chose a suitable password and the admin password still worked as before  :)

Del
If at first you don't succeed, then sky-diving is not for you!
"Life is like a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once." --Author Unknown