Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Is there an easy way to get a gui?

Offline Aitch

• +0/-0
« on: October 30, 2007, 06:02:16 PM »
Hi

It's one of those "Oh no, not another noob, questions", I'm afraid

I'm a relative noob to Linux though familiar with windoze boxes, though this is my first server

I started with a broadberry server with a crapped out win2003 setup & just stuck this SME 7.1 CD in it

After a struggle I got it to run, but I'm finding it hard to see my way round.
Is there an easy way to get a GUI? [possibly Xfce or kde/gnome]
What packages do I need? and where are they?

I've successfully worked my way through all the yum fiddly bits to get the update done & I now have fully updated v7.2

I can't find my way round successfully setting users/groups/access & additional software so that my win boxes can utilise the share on my local net, which is 'server only' behind a router/firewall

Any tips?
Thanks, Aitch

Offline dmay

• +0/-0
    • http://myezserver.com
Re: Is there an easy way to get a gui?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 06:07:55 PM »
Try starting with the manual:

http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation

Darrell

Offline pfloor

• +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 06:20:12 PM »

NO!  But there is a VERY EASY way to access the (already) built-in GUI.

https://server-name/server-manager
or
https://server-ip-address/server-manager

Like dmay says... Read the manual, it's full very useful information.
In life, you must either "Push, Pull or Get out of the way!"

Offline Aitch

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 06:26:15 PM »
Yeh, Thanks guys, like I haven't done that!!!

Maybe I'm not explaining clearly

I want something more than 'commander' interface
I'm a visual oriented person not a software scriptwriter
It's only a simple request, don't take the p***

Offline warren

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 06:58:51 PM »
Yeh, Thanks guys, like I haven't done that!!!

Maybe I'm not explaining clearly

It's only a simple request, don't take the p***

'commander' interface.....

http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter6

If you read further; http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter9

You will see something that is very definitely "GUI"

Obviously you need to read the manual again, and maybe even a third and fourth time :

Offline pfloor

• +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 07:01:17 PM »
I can't find my way round successfully setting users/groups/access

Access to the built-in GUI via any client connected to the local network using a web browser:
http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter8

Users, groups and permissions:
http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter9

Shares (i-bays) and access:
http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter14

...& additional software so that my win boxes can utilise the share on my local net
You don't need any additional software.  SME has everything already needed to use it for what you describe above.

The built-in GUI is far from a 'commander' interface.  I don't know what more you need to set up users, groups, shares and access. 

Offline RedBeard

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 07:06:53 PM »
I've successfully worked my way through all the yum fiddly bits to get the update done & I now have fully updated v7.2

I can't find my way round successfully setting users/groups/access & additional software so that my win boxes can utilise the share on my local net, which is 'server only' behind a router/firewall

Any tips?
Thanks, Aitch

Aitch, from what you have asked it doesn't appear that you have read the manual.  Everything that you want to do can be done via the web interface quite easily with no need for additional software.   I find that things are much easier to set up under SME than under MS, or kde/Xfce gui. The developers have done an excelent job of making the setup and administration of SME easy, much easier than using a traditional gui.

So read and study the manual everything you wish to do can be done via the web interface, including the updates . . . I have never had to do the yum fiddly bits, just use the web interface  . . .

Good Luck, take a little time studying the manual and exploring the web interface.

Offline Aitch

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 07:35:57 PM »
Warren

Reading the documentation I found this
"E-Smith SME Server is a Linux distribution designed to serve as a dedicated firewall/gateway server, allowing you to share an Internet connection over a LAN. The distribution is a heavily-modified version of Red Hat Linux, with most of the latter, including the GUI, removed, leaving only what is required to run a firewall/gateway in a small 380MB package."

Thanks anyway

pfloor  - "The built-in GUI is far from a 'commander' interface.  I don't know what more you need to set up users, groups, shares and access. "

Yes, but see above.
I suppose what I didn't explain was my over dependence on tradition. I'm used to seeing my files in 'explorer' & being able to 'drag & drop' files I want to share/copy/move
Thanks again

Redbeard - "I have never had to do the yum fiddly bits, just use the web interface  "

http://wiki.contribs.org/Updating_to_SME_7.2
see yum update, which I found AFTER my 7.1 failed to update 3 times in a row

I am continuing reading, which is clearly going to benefit me more than here
 I just thought, obviously mistakenly, that I might get some friendly hints
were none of you ever 'noobs'?  :sad:

Until I can get my shares working properly on my intranet, I daren't continue to share files with a friend miles away over the internet, because I have no firewall or AV
I just thought a desktop gui would make it easier
Maybe it's just my uncertainty from not knowing, but it doesn't make me stoopid! :hammer: ;-) ;-)
I'll try again, later to see if anyone remembers their beginnings
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 07:43:40 PM by Aitch »

Offline pfloor

• +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 08:15:03 PM »
OK, now I "think" I see what you mean.  SME Server is just that, A Server and not a desktop.  It is not intended to be used as a desktop and does not have desktop software at all.

You were asking for a GUI and have confused everyone here.  SME contains a GUI to configure the server but has never had a "desktop" (and probably never will).

What you want to do is go to a client on your local network (windows, mac or Linux).  Set up the server users/groups/shares, etc.  Then you can browse the shares on the SME server, drag and drop, copy, paste, etc from any client on the local LAN.  You can't do any of that from the server itself, you have to use a client attached to the LAN.

SME is a server and designed to reside somewhere like a server room, closet, etc, not as a "desktop".

Reading the documentation I found this
"E-Smith SME Server is a Linux distribution designed to serve as a dedicated firewall/gateway server, allowing you to share an Internet connection over a LAN. The distribution is a heavily-modified version of Red Hat Linux, with most of the latter, including the GUI, removed, leaving only what is required to run a firewall/gateway in a small 380MB package."
Please give me the URL where you found this.  It is VERY outdated and is not accurate and needs to be updated.

Offline Aitch

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 08:33:12 PM »
pfloor - OK thanks,
I think I've found what you're referring to.
I didn't understand the bit about working from a SEPERATE PC
'Now we're cookin'
the paste came from here
http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:About
and though it may be out of date, it explains what I'm talking about, which is not made clear in any of the documentation all your good ol boys insist I read, though your post was helpful, thanks

Offline pfloor

• +1/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 09:15:53 PM »
the paste came from here
http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:About
and though it may be out of date, it explains what I'm talking about, which is not made clear in any of the documentation all your good ol boys insist I read,
The fact is, that it was not written by anyone here.  It is a quote from another website and is inaccurate and misleading.  It appears to be very old text that was re-used in a 2006 article on that website.  I think I may remove it.

And I personally take offence to your comment "which is not made clear in any of the documentation all your good ol boys insist I read".

It is made perfectly clear in the first link I provided for you:

[snip]
Chapter 8. On-going Administration using the server-manager

The server-manager is your SME Server control panel for administrative tasks. The server-manager can be accessed via a web browser from any client connected to the same local network using a variety of URL formats:
[/snip]

And it is made perfectly clear throught the documentation how the server-manager is accessed, what it does and how it works.  This is why us "good old boys" insist that everyone (not just you) read ALL of the documentation.  Don't feel picked on, search for the term "read the manual" and you will find thousands of posts.

Offline Aitch

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 10:11:09 PM »
pfloor

"You were asking for a GUI and have confused everyone here.  SME contains a GUI to configure the server but has never had a "desktop" (and probably never will)."

That's TWICE you seem to have been confused

As an Englishman, aged 60, living in London, still learning about technology,
 I learnt that GUI stands for Graphical User Interface, with my
emphatic need for the graphical i.e. picture content,
bit of the meaning. On the machine I'm using, not another, external, GUI aid!

"And I personally take offence to your comment "which is not made clear in any of the documentation all your good ol boys insist I read"."

No more offence given than was put here, that I originally commented on

Why do people insist on putting down linux learners?, [noobs, as they (we) are known] after all, it's supposed to be 'truly customisable to your every need'

I just happen to need what you think unnecessary.  a gui [desktop?]

My favourite Linux is Puppy, plain, simple, works out of the box, and with the best forum I've ever come across.

No put-downs, genuine non-judgemental HELP

If I hadn't had my nose put out of joint in the first place
(read the f***ing manual, dummy)
 I probably wouldn't have resorted to like for like comment

you yanks should know that all of you are rednecks to us limeys,
specially when you insult us

so don't give offence, then there'll be no need to take any

check out a definition for respect, you'll see what I mean.

anyhow, back to my reading, bye

Offline shell

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 11:27:50 PM »
My 2c cents for what its worth:

we all do remember our noob days, and the number and quickness of responses to your request has been fantastic.  all the advice given is polite and succinct, and following it would have answered your question.

you are looking to install a gui on your server, which is not recommended practice on the SME and although as you state sme is fully customised (you will be able to install a gui) this will compromise your ability to apply updates to the fantastic system provided by the community.

the server-manager web interface, which is the standard gui provided, will perform all the tasks you have mentioned.  A text based copy of this interface is available from the console by logging in as admin.  it is MUCH easier to use the server-manager from a browser in a client, but if you really want to run only the server (and not any clients to serve the services to) then this will allow all the same functions.
From the console mc - the midnight commander interface - will give you a level of file manipulation options also from the server itself.

I think the most important point is that the SME distribution is designed as a server and the best / recommended interface methodology is from a client setup to use the provided resources.  The client can be m$ or puppy or any other client - to your hearts content.

i hope this assists, and ask that you remember to be polite - I enjoy looking through the forum and reading about the awesome uses the SME community has found for the distro, but found your responses when i read this thread quite agressive and not in keeping with the spirit of the advice offered.

Offline Aitch

• +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 12:28:51 AM »
shell

your 2c worth noted

I didn't intend to get zapped by friendly fire when I signed in here, but that's what happened

My 2c worth, is that if the guys who commented care to READ my original post, they (and anyone else) will see that I already showed that I'd read at least some of the documentation. It's impossible to update 7.1 WITHOUT reading documentation
But there's shed loads of it. As usual.  I was at Chapter 6
"Be aware that this ability to switch between the server console and a login prompt is only available when you have physical access to the server. If you connect in remotely as the "admin" user and see the server console, you will not be able to switch to a login prompt in that window. (You can, however, open up another remote connection to your server and login as the "root" user.) Note that remote administrative access is disabled by default and must be specifically enabled through the Remote Access panel of the server manager.

Note:
   If you are not familiar with working from the Linux prompt, you may be interested in trying a file management tool called Midnight Commander. It allows you to perform many file operations through a menu-driven interface. Simply type mc at the command prompt. Press the function key "F1" for help and "F10" to quit."

There was no mention, at that stage of my installation, of HOW I would get remote access, so I tried the MC route. It just frustrated me.
I signed in here.
I was probably feeling a bit tired, and just needed a bit of encouragement.
Knowledge needs to be nurtured, not smacked over your head.
That was how I felt. You know the association with 'throwing the book at you?' & if my response was aggressive, try and look at it from a noob's perspective, looking for assistance, and remember those early days.
Once I couldn't walk, but I don't spank crawling children to get them to walk,
patience doesn't hurt & compassion's better than war, but it takes all sorts.
So that's my 2pence worth & I'd like to close this thread, cause it's now way off topic.
my intention was .......?
answers  :smile: on a postcard