Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

problems joining a domain

Offline Matt

• +0/-0
    • http://www.khwp.org.uk
« on: October 13, 2006, 11:14:07 AM »
I am trying to get my windows XP Pro machines to join my domain on my sme v7 server.  

I have added the reg fix and set the server as domain cotroller, it is also running in server gateway mode.

When I try to join the domain I get the following error message.  Is there something simple that I am missing I am not very confident when setting up this sort of thing, hense my reason for using sme in the first place, so some simple steps would be great.  

Note: This information is intended for a network administrator.  If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain khwp.org.uk:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.khwp.org.uk

Offline JonB

• +0/-0
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 11:49:36 AM »
The domain name you should be using is the name you put under "Workgroup name" in Workgroup in the Server Manager not ypur FQDN.

Jon

Offline Matt

• +0/-0
    • http://www.khwp.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 12:02:26 PM »
I have tried changing the domain to the workgroup name and I get following errors.  

Multiple connections to a server or shared resourse by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resources and try again

I tried disconnecting all the shares and I still get the same error message

Offline JonB

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 01:03:35 PM »
Remove all mapped drives. unmap any shares and reboot the PC.

Try joining the domain again.

Jon

Offline wr19026

• +0/-0
Re: problems joining a domain
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 03:15:47 PM »
I'm having the same problem. Win XP Pro is up-to-date with patches, and the registry fix has also been applied. The server is version 7.2

Removed all network drives and printer. Rebooted. Then tried to register the machine on the domain (using the workgroup name), using the SME Server admin login and password. This didn't work so the popup just asked me for the machinename and domain.

That's where I'm getting the error message "A domain controller for the domain [MYDOMAIN] could not be contacted". However, when I map a network drive and I use MYDOMAIN\myuser with the MYDOMAIN password for myuser, it connects without a problem.

Also, I cannot connect to my SME Server using the actual machinename. Mapping a network drive to \\servername\etc does not work, I have to do this via \\10.0.0.x\etc

In my network I only have a DSL modem/router that also serves as my DHCP server. The SME Server is configured to run in serveronly mode.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Offline crazybob

• +0/-0
    • Stalzer R&D
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 04:00:24 PM »
You will need to change the name of the xp computer if it was ever on the domain before.

Bob
If you think you know whats going on, you obviously have no idea whats going on!

Offline wr19026

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 04:17:16 PM »
Sounds strange but at the same time not unlogical :)

Is there no file on the SME Server that I can edit to fix this, as I'm quite attached to this machinename?

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 07:14:52 PM »
Sounds strange but at the same time not unlogical :)

Is there no file on the SME Server that I can edit to fix this, as I'm quite attached to this machinename?
It should be somewhere in the accounts database, but probably also in the user and group files of the password database.

I guess deleting it from the accounts database, as well as a groupdel and userdel command might solve the issue, try the following commands on the SME Server shell as root (no warranties all at your own risk):
Code: [Select]
db accounts delete machinename$
groupdel machinename
userdel machinename
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline wr19026

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 08:34:43 PM »
Tried changing the name of the XP Pro box and rebooted for it to take effect. Although I still had the mapped network drives (didn't disconnect them) and printer I wanted to see if it worked.

Unfortunately not. Still getting the same error, and still cannot connect to the server using \\servername but need to use \\serverinternalip

From another XP Pro box I can connect to the server using \\servername , so it seems that something is not right on my reinstalled XP laptop, but I can't figure out what it might be. Shouldn't be the firewall as it has a Zone specified for the 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.255 allowing all types of traffic.

Again, any suggestions?

EDIT: Well, it works...Tweaked the firewall on the XP machine, stopped and restarted it and now I can connect to the SME Server using \\servername .. Adding the XP Pro machine to the domain however still does not work, but I'll disconnect the shared drives and printer again, do a reboor of the XP box and will give it another go.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 04:28:36 PM by wr19026 »