Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

[ANNOUNCE] smeserver-hwinfo-1.0 : Adds hardware info panel to server-manager

Offline aussierob

• +0/-0
Packages will be available again as soon as mirrors synchronyze.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/smeserver/contribs/jpl/smecontribs/smeserver-hwinfo/lshw-2.15-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm will be available, but not yet tested

thanks jpl - I will check in a day or  two and let you know the result.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Since I had installed the previous version, I did:

Code: [Select]
wget http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el4/en/i386/RPMS.dag/lshw-2.12.1-1.el4.rf.i386.rpm
and updated with a:

yum localupdate lshw-2.12.1-1.el4.rf.i386.rpm

Simpler and tidier would be:

rpm -Uhv  http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el4/en/i386/RPMS.dag/lshw-2.12.1-1.el4.rf.i386.rpm

No need to use yum when there are no additional dependencies.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Simpler and tidier would be:

rpm -Uhv  http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el4/en/i386/RPMS.dag/lshw-2.12.1-1.el4.rf.i386.rpm

Make that:

rpm -Uhv http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el4/en/i386/rpmforge/RPMS/lshw-2.12.1-1.el4.rf.i386.rpm

or

rpm -Uhv http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el4/en/i386/rpmforge/RPMS/lshw-2.14-1.el4.rf.i386.rpm

Offline jpl

• +0/-0
thanks jpl - I will check in a day or  two and let you know the result.

Done. SME8 packages are available again

Offline slords

• +3/-0
Please don't host packages in your repo area that are already available (or maintained) in CVS.  The lshw packages for sme8 (from dag) are already in the smecontribs repo for sme8.  The sme7 version of the smeserver-hwinfo package should install cleanly on a sme8 box.  If there are issues with that please raise a bug.

If you have changes that need to be made to the packages in CVS please raise bugs and post patches so they can be applied.  By splitting packages out all over the place nobody knows where to get the most up-to-date package.

Looking at your package against what is in smecontribs, the only difference is that translations have been applied to the package.  The master translation server uses what is in CVS as a basis for creating patches so applying locale patches outside of CVS isn't of much use.  If you want translations applied to a package either apply the patch in CVS yourself (if you have rights) or raise a bug for them to be applied and someone that has rights will do it for you.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs,
and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -- Rich Cook

Offline jpl

• +0/-0
Please don't host packages in your repo area that are already available (or maintained) in CVS.  The lshw packages for sme8 (from dag) are already in the smecontribs repo for sme8.  The sme7 version of the smeserver-hwinfo package should install cleanly on a sme8 box.  If there are issues with that please raise a bug.

Shad,

difficult to follow you !
You always said no to me when asking to put sme8 versions of contribs in smecontribs CVS : it was not desirable while sme8 was in beta.
So I put only sme8 contribs in my repo. Setting such contribs seemed (always) conform to the wiki Releasing Contribs page.

But if you could open the smecontribs cvs for sme8 version of smeserver-hwinfo, and others of my contribs It would be great.

Offline slords

• +3/-0
We haven't moved any of the packages from CVS into contribs8 yet.  However I have put all the dependencies of existing contribs into the smecontribs repo.  This makes it possible to install the sme7 version of the contrib but pull the correct dependencies for sme8.  The wiki page above list a lot of contribs that have all their dependencies already in the smecontribs repo for sme8.  smeserver-hwinfo is one of them.  If there are changes that are required for the contrib to work in sme8 then a bug needs to be raised.

The non-sme packages in your repo are already in smecontribs repo.  The smeserver-hwinfo package you have in your repo only has translation info applied to it.  It doesn't need to be there either.  If you want newer translations for a package already in CVS just request someone to apply the translation patch (created daily) to it or do it yourself if you have rights.  Either way there isn't a need for any of the packages in your contribs are to be there.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs,
and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -- Rich Cook

Offline aussierob

• +0/-0
We haven't moved any of the packages from CVS into contribs8 yet.  However I have put all the dependencies of existing contribs into the smecontribs repo.  This makes it possible to install the sme7 version of the contrib but pull the correct dependencies for sme8.

So folks,
which is the most appropriate way for me to install this onto sme8b6 ?
[as said before I am more than happy to try it, and feedback any issues]
regards Rob,

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
But if you could open the smecontribs cvs for sme8 version of smeserver-hwinfo, and others of my contribs It would be great.

I'd be surprised if there were an sme8 version of smeserver-hwinfo. I don't know of any reason that the same rpm could not work in either version.

Offline aussierob

• +0/-0
I'd be surprised if there were an sme8 version of smeserver-hwinfo. I don't know of any reason that the same rpm could not work in either version.

Thanks CharlieB,
FYI I did three things ...
1. yum  --enablerepo=smecontribs install lshw
(as the yum in the documentation did not work, and the above was the name resulting from
yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=smecontribs list available)

2. signal-event post-upgrade; signal-event reboot

3.yum info installed lshw, and got the 'Version 2.15' etc.

At a quick glance
a. it works on the command line - works VERY nicely too -which is enough for me.
b. it is not in the ServerManager Cofiguration List: is this because of the download I did not updating like the 'real one' (which was not found)

A great contribution thanks jpl
and thanks for comment CharlieB

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
b. it is not in the ServerManager Cofiguration List: is this because of the download I did not updating like the 'real one' (which was not found)
No, that is because you most likely have not set the repository to visible and/or have not enabled to manage individual packages.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline jpl

• +0/-0
We haven't moved any of the packages from CVS into contribs8 yet.  However I have put all the dependencies of existing contribs into the smecontribs repo.  This makes it possible to install the sme7 version of the contrib but pull the correct dependencies for sme8.  The wiki page above list a lot of contribs that have all their dependencies already in the smecontribs repo for sme8.  smeserver-hwinfo is one of them.  If there are changes that are required for the contrib to work in sme8 then a bug needs to be raised.

Thanks.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
No, that is because you most likely have not set the repository to visible and/or have not enabled to manage individual packages.

No, it's because the 'navigation-conf' action hasn't been run, so the tables which generate the server-manager menu links have not been regenerated.

Run:

/etc/e-smith/events/actions/navigation-conf

then log out, log in to the server-manager.

Or do:

signal-event post-upgrade ; signal-event reboot

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
No, it's because the 'navigation-conf' action hasn't been run, so the tables which generate the server-manager menu links have not been regenerated.
That might as well be the case, but I was under the assumption OP meant her could not see the package in order to install it.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
FYI I did three things ...
1. yum  --enablerepo=smecontribs install lshw
(as the yum in the documentation did not work, and the above was the name resulting from
yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=smecontribs list available)

2. signal-event post-upgrade; signal-event reboot

3.yum info installed lshw, and got the 'Version 2.15' etc.

If that is all you did, then you have not installed the smeserver-hwinfo contrib, which explains why nothing is visible in the Configuration section of the server-manager.