Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Backup to USBfor upgrade

Offline gordonallan

• +0/-0
Backup to USBfor upgrade
« on: August 05, 2007, 01:19:23 PM »
Hi

I am hoping to backup my whole server to an external USB disk, prior to upgrade to version 7. We are currently running 6.0.1 but all the backup usin dar contribs seem to be for version >7.

Is there a way to get the backup down to a USB drive before upgrade?

Thanks in advance

Gordon

Offline raem

• +4/-0
Re: Backup to USBfor upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 06:23:44 PM »
gordonallan

Alternatively try the restore from disk option, look in upgrading on the Wiki or search here for a very long post re 6 to 7 upgrades.

You essentially build the new sme 7 server and then attach the sme6 disk and restore directly from the sme6 disk to sme7. There are some commands you MUST run on sme6 before disconnecting the disk from teh server though. Your original install remains intact on the sme6 disk if anything goes wrong with the upgrade.
Follow the other instructions very carefully about removing custom templates etc etc.

Offline Jáder

• +0/-0
    • LinuxFacil
Backup to USBfor upgrade
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 08:05:34 PM »
Hi Gordon

I did an upgrade from 6 to 7.1.3 (and update to 7.2) on a new hardware.
I installed a completly new SME7 on new HW.
Using LAT I recreated everything.
Started a RSYNC daemon on SME6 and copy ibays and users directory using rsync.
Because I was doing this on business hours, later I have to re-sync just before to switch to new server... but was a quick operation (a few changes from 2pm to 6pm!).
At the end I just copy other missing things (netlogon.bat, custom rules from templates-custom)...
When finished with copy I started an yum update to get new packages (7.1.3 -> 7.2) and I think post-upgrade events fixed all e-mail/ibays permissions.

Was a smooth transition!

Jáder