jpl

Just a minor correction, in case it was not obvious to readers
Dailybackup.dcf should read DailyBackup.dcf

Great thanks for the correction  :???:

Matt Hamilton

Re: [UPDATE 7.2] e-smith-backup with dar
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2007, 12:07:45 AM »
JPL,
I was very excited to discover this contrib as I've been looking for this functionality to roll out to my customers.

Unfortunately....
I tested this on my home/test server with a scheduled backup to a local usb disk (which had been manually mounted) and the backup process created the temporary files in /mnt/smb on the server itself which completely filled the server disks and brought the server to its knees.
I managed to delete the files using an SCP connection but obviously this is not a great solution if so much free space is required on the server for a successful backup.

I have gathered from your previous posts that the temporary files 'should' be placed on the USB disk itself which would be a much better solution.

Alternatively, could the temporary files not be transferred after the creation of each file instead of building a complete backup set before moving them all?

Offline raem

• +4/-0
e-smith-backup with dar file size mod
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2007, 04:57:36 AM »
To all

Here's the procedure to set the backup file size.
The default slice or part setting is 700Mb (to suit CD's).
I wanted to change it to suit 4.7Gb DVD's, by making 3 parts fit to a DVD, so the slice size is 1529Mb (allowing for overheads & real data size).

mkdir -p /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/dar/DailyBackup.dcf

cp /etc/e-smith/templates/etc/dar/DailyBackup.dcf/90slice /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/dar/DailyBackup.dcf
(the above is all on one line)

to change the file size modify (& save)
/etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/dar/DailyBackup.dcf/90slice

to read like this

{
($backupwk{Slice} || '1529M') eq '1529M' ?  "--slice 1529M\n" : "--slice $backup
}

Then expand the template with
expand-template /etc/dar/DailyBackup.dcf

Offline jpl

• +0/-0
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2007, 01:18:44 PM »
JPL,
I was very excited to discover this contrib as I've been looking for this functionality to roll out to my customers.

Unfortunately....

After my time was taken to release a Jabber server contrib for SME, I am about to modify e-smith-backup and test a release which mounts/unmounts usb devices, like other mounts,  and I hope resolve these problems (but I not before next week).

But I think there is a difficult choice when we consider usb devices : usb keys have limited space and storing temporary backup files on usb can be difficult, usb disks have a lot of space for backuping large volume of server data and for such usb disks temporary backup files need to be stored on the usb disk. Maybe we should consider two usb logical devices for backup : usb key and usb disk...

Offline Stiven

• +0/-0
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2007, 01:27:08 AM »
Hi,

I successfully installed this release of e-smith-backup. However, I've got some problems with the display in the server-manager.

The new list items seems to be displayed as WORKSTN_CONFIGURE, WORKSTN_VERIFY and so on...same problem when I choose one of these new items.

For information, my SME is set up in french language.

Is there someone able to help me ?

Thanks in advance.

Bye.

Offline jpl

• +0/-0
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2007, 08:07:31 AM »
This is because e-smith-backup is a modified core package, and this core package has a french translation without addition of new features.

Due to smeserver choices for locale packaging in SME 7 (for core packages), translations other than en-us are not in the package itself, but put together in a package for each language.

Nothing to do before updating smeserver french locale rpm, but I have an updated french localized file for backup panel, and I'll put it in my contrib area at the end of week (not at home before).

New post when done.

Offline Stiven

• +0/-0
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2007, 09:59:53 PM »
Right.

Thanx for your reply.

I'll wait till week end. :smile:

Offline jpl

• +0/-0
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2007, 07:58:24 PM »
Here is an updated french localized backup file to replace /etc/e-smith/locale/fr/etc/e-smith/web/functions/backup.

I am sorry to tell you that it is only partially translated, but it should not be difficult to complete the translation. However you'll not get messages like WORKSTN_CONFIGURE or WORKSTN_VERIFY  :o

Offline slords

• +3/-0
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2007, 12:25:05 AM »
jpl,

I believe most of your work has been integrated into the e-smith-backup that can be found in the smetest repo.  Would you be willing to work with byte (Gavin) to ensure all necessary changes are made to get this package ready for release.  He is a great tester and will help verify that all functionality that you have worked on is there.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs,
and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -- Rich Cook

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2007, 05:17:25 AM »
jpl & others

I ran into issues with the size of removable backup disks (120Gb IDE on a workstation) and the resultant backup data size (120Gb of data compressing to approx 50Gb).
I was able to get one full backup onto a disk, and a weeks worth of daily incrementals, but the next weekly full backup failed, due to the need to save the new backup in the tmp folder on the removable disk, before deleting the old backup files. There was not enough space on the disk (size) I was using.

I created a cron job and put it in /etc/cron.d with a script in /opt/scripts/..., which mounts the drive and deletes the old backup just before the new full backup commences. It works quite OK.
I realise this deletes the old backup before the new one has completed, but I'm happy to forgo that in order to use the available hardware.

In /etc/cron.d/deletebkp1

30    1   *    *   3    root   . /opt/scripts/deletebkp1

In /opt/scripts/deletebkp1

umount /mnt/smb
/bin/mount -t smbfs //stationXX/bkp1 /mnt/smb -o username=XXXXXX,password=XXXXXXXXXXXXX
rm -f -R /mnt/smb/servername.yourdomain.com/
rm -f -R /mnt/smb/tmp_dir/

Offline edform

• +0/-0
    • http://www.workgroupsolutions.co.uk
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2007, 11:52:29 PM »
SRPMS available at http://beta.free-eos.org/sme/RPMS/e-smith-backup-1.14.0-16eos1.el4.sme.src.rpm

This link doesn't seem to work at the moment and when I trace down throught he server at EOS the branch isn't there either.

Has it gone somewhere else to live?

Ed Form

Offline byte

• +2/-0
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2007, 12:18:18 AM »
Has it gone somewhere else to live?

We have incorporated JPL's excellent work in the e-smith-backup base version which you can find in smetest repo:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/smeserver/releases/7.2/smetest/i386/repodata/repoview/e-smith-backup-0-1.15.0-05.el4.sme.html

The more people who test and use this package means it can get in to base and be a standard package, to install you can do by typing:

yum upgrade --enable smetest e-smith-backup

Remember this is in smetest so there will/may be bugs so don't forget to open a bug and open a bug in the SME Server 7.x release as the package in smetest is not a contrib. Thanks.

PS. JPL would you be interested in working together to get this polished and in to the base ? Thanks.
--[byte]--

Have you filled in a Bug Report over @ http://bugs.contribs.org ? Please don't wait to be told this way you help us to help you/others - Thanks!

Offline jpl

• +0/-0
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2007, 09:27:13 PM »
PS. JPL would you be interested in working together to get this polished and in to the base ? Thanks.

Sure, I was about to post an update to Gavin (byte). But if this is not the prefered way to do it, please send me the right way by mail.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 09:30:58 PM by jpl »

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2007, 06:14:40 AM »
Dear All

The How to has been updated
http://wiki.contribs.org/Backup_with_dar

Offline edform

• +0/-0
    • http://www.workgroupsolutions.co.uk
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2007, 04:00:38 AM »
I've had a rather disturbing incident with this backup procedure today.

I had to replace a disk in my server because of persistent dropping offline so I decided to rely on my backups and remake the disk mirror from scratch.

Loaded e-smith, did basic setup in the server manager and then loaded the e-smith-backup with dar system using yum --enable smetest upgrade e-smith-backup. After the reboot at the end of the install, I also ran the software installer and accepted the full set of updates available followed by another reboot from the reconfigure button at the bottom of the yum results.

Then did a full restore from the latest backup - it's on a NAS device - and it ran right through and stopped but didn't put up the reboot notice at the end which the instructions indicated I should get. After a reboot there were apparently no files in the data store ibay!!!

Ran the full restore again and this time I noticed that it was putting the restored files in /etc/e-smith/web/panels/manager/cgi-bin. I've looked again at the configuration of the backup and I can't see anything I could have done to cause this so why isn't the program restoring to the original locations?

Any ideas anyone!

Ed Form