Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

URGENT: sshd via tun/Hamachi

ylon

« on: July 07, 2007, 05:38:18 AM »
I have tried several methods to enable remote access to sshd by way of the Hamachi network.  We can see the server just fine from the Hamachi client, however we cannot figure out how to allow ssh into the SME Server with Hamachi.

What we've tried:
1) Editing the sshd_config to listen on the Hamachi address.
2) Through Server-Manager -> Security -> Remote Access -> Remote Management added the Hamachi network and subnet.
3) Through Server-Manager -> Security -> Local Networks added the Hamachi network.

I've taken a look through iptables and things appear to be alright, but I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination.  Please advise as to what should be done in order to make this remote access work properly via Hamachi.

Thanks so very much!

Offline imcintyre

• +0/-0
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 07:19:55 AM »
<~~ not familiar with Hamachi

You did not mention how you had set your /Server-Manager/remote access/secure shell settings. Maybe you overlooked this.

ps why not put sme in server gateway mode, enable vpn access, and enable ssh setting to local address and skip Hamachi?

ylon

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 08:39:12 PM »
Under the Secure Shell Settings I have it set to:
Secure shell access: Allow public access (entire Internet)
Allow admin cmd line access over ssh: YES
Allow ssh access using std passwds: YES

I also tried to enable Remote Management under the same page such that the hamachi network would have access (essentially 5.0.0.0 w/ a subnet of 255.0.0.0 which is huge, but I'll scale this down to the singular ip once I have it working).

And of course like I'd mentioned I had also set this same network up for hte Local networks under the Security section.

I really don't wish to use the built in VPN as it is not sitting in a gateway situation (it will be sitting behind another firewall) and hamachi is a bit more robust in terms of passing through firewalls and various config issues.  

Please advise.

Re: URGENT: hamachi with sme server 7.3
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 09:57:03 PM »
I am in the same predicament. I have installed hamachi on sme 7.3.
I can see the sme server from my window pc's hamachi. I can ping the sme server. All this works.
I cannot make an ssh connection (via putty) to the sme server - there is a timeout error that occurs.
I cannot make a MYSQL connection to the sme server from my windows pc. - timeout occurs.
Is there somebody out there with answer PLEASE. It will be appreciated.
e-mail to vaughan@ibsoft.co.za
Thanks

Offline byte

• +2/-0
Re: URGENT: sshd via tun/Hamachi
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 11:03:38 PM »
Moving this topic to the SME 7.x contribs forum, it is more appropriate there.
--[byte]--

Have you filled in a Bug Report over @ http://bugs.contribs.org ? Please don't wait to be told this way you help us to help you/others - Thanks!