Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

2 Network interfaces on the internal side

Offline carnaud

• +0/-0
« on: June 12, 2007, 06:24:18 AM »
Hello,

I'm using a sme server config "server only". My config has 2 network adapters and I'd like to configure the 2 adapters to be available on the internal side of the server.

I can't figure how to do that? When I configure the server, I can choose between the two interfaces and I can define the IP address of one interface, but can't ever configure the second interface.

Then when the server is running, just one interface (eth0) is loaded and defined.

Any help would be appreciated,

Regards

Offline jumba

• +0/-0
  • Donations: July 2007 - $ 20.00
    • Smeserver på svenska!
Re: 2 Network interfaces on the internal side
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 10:39:49 AM »
Quote from: "carnaud"
Hello,

I'm using a sme server config "server only". My config has 2 network adapters and I'd like to configure the 2 adapters to be available on the internal side of the server.

Why on earth would you like to do that?

Online Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 10:48:50 AM »
Hello,

I can't figure how to do that? When I configure the server, I can choose between the two interfaces and I can define the IP address of one interface, but can't ever configure the second interface.

Then when the server is running, just one interface (eth0) is loaded and defined.

Any help would be appreciated,

Regards

Hi..

do you want the two interfaces to have different subnets (e.g 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x) or to do HA or load balance?

if your answer is the second one, search for bonding :-)

AFAIK the first solution is not available at the moment

HTH

Stefano

Offline cool34000

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 10:53:47 AM »
Hi,

To use bonding (runs great for me) you must have 2 identical network adapters (actually 2 adapters that use the same driver...)

Offline carnaud

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 12:26:56 PM »
Quote from: "jumba"
Hello,

Hi,

Why on earth would you like to do that?

In fact my problem is the following, I must operate remotely the server unfortunately the onboard Gb network adapter is not recognized by the kernel (the motherboard is ASUS P5B-VM with realtek chips). Whenever the kernel is updated, I must recompile the network adapter driver. So I installed a basic 10/100 mb PCI card, I planned to use remotely. The Gb adapter will be used by the workstations connected to the server, while the 10/100 will be used to operate over internet.

The server is already protected by a firewall, so I don't need a passerelle nor 2 different networks

Offline bpivk

• +0/-0
    • http://www.bezigrad.com
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 01:44:02 PM »
2 adapters to be available on the internal side of the server

Well you said that you want two adapters on LAN.  :D
If you want one on LAN and one on wan just set your server in server gateway and select your NICs and it should work (if both drivers work).
"It should just work" if it doesn't report it. Thanks!