Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

php5 and 7.4 update

Offline davelister

• +0/-0
    • IgnitionJournal
php5 and 7.4 update
« on: November 23, 2008, 02:47:27 AM »
G'day
I have a server running happily with 7.3 but I have upgraded it to php 5 by the doing the following;

yum --enablerepo=centosplus install php.i386 php-pear-Net-Socket php-pear-Auth-SASL php-pear-DB php-pear-HTTP php-pear-Mail php-pear-XML-Parser
/sbin/e-smith/signal-event post-upgrade
/sbin/e-smith/signal-event reboot

However now that 7.4 update is out I would like to update, but I run into problems because of the php 5 upgrade. Is it possible to roll back to php 4 and the update and then upgrade to php 5?

If so can someone point me in the right direction to remove php 5 and go back to the standard 7.3 installation I would give you my first born... no seriously she is killing me :-) Thanks

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: php5 and 7.4 update
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 05:45:57 AM »
davelister

The general approach would be
rpm -e php
and same for any other php5 dependencies you installed when you did the upgrade to php5 ie php.i386 php-pear-Net-Socket php-pear-Auth-SASL php-pear-DB php-pear-HTTP php-pear-Mail php-pear-XML-Parser

If you remove the packages one by one, you will need to uninstall the rpms in the correct order to avoid dependency issues.

To uninstall dependencies more easily, let rpm do it in the one command

rpm -e php php.i386 php-pear-Net-Socket php-pear-Auth-SASL php-pear-DB php-pear-HTTP php-pear-Mail php-pear-XML-Parser

The above command is all on one line

To force the package removal, ignoring dependencies

rpm -e --nodeps php

You should always use the above command very carefully and only if you know the full ramifications of doing so. The nodeps switch should not normally be used.

Then to get back to the current version

yum update php
signal-event post-upgrade
signal-event reboot
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 03:37:18 AM by mary »
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline davelister

• +0/-0
    • IgnitionJournal
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 06:21:16 AM »
thanks Mary you got me headed in the right direction :-)

Offline daniel

• +0/-0
  • Platinum Sponsor
    • http://www.charton-mgmt.com
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 04:36:10 PM »
You might consider using the php5-cgi install procedures and then you can run both php4 for the server manager and php5 for whatever Ibay you have that requires php5.  I've been using php5 as cgi and it has worked great for the two apps that require php5. 

do a search in the forum on php5-cgi and I find the information here

http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,37481.0.html

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 04:44:56 PM »
can run both php4 for the server manager

you are right..

BTW, server-manager doesn't require php to run.. pure perl/cgi :-)

Ciao
Stefano

Offline gzartman

• +0/-0
    • LEI Engineering & Surveying
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 09:30:02 PM »
You might consider using the php5-cgi install procedures and then you can run both php4 for the server manager and php5 for whatever Ibay you have that requires php5.  I've been using php5 as cgi and it has worked great for the two apps that require php5. 

Agreed.  Replacing PHP4 in SME 7.x is a bad idea, as proven when you tried to upgrade to 7.4.   There is also the possibility of problems with supported SME apps like horde/imp that relies on php or the many contribs that rely on php. 

You are much better off installing php5 next to php4 as detailed in the forum thread listed above and the howto listed in the forum thread. 

I've successfully used this approach to install MediaWiki on SME.
----
Greg J. Zartman
LEI Engineering & Surveying

SME user and community member since 2000.

Offline SoftDux

• +0/-0
    • http://www.SoftDux.com
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 09:49:21 AM »
Agreed.  Replacing PHP4 in SME 7.x is a bad idea, as proven when you tried to upgrade to 7.4.   There is also the possibility of problems with supported SME apps like horde/imp that relies on php or the many contribs that rely on php. 

You are much better off installing php5 next to php4 as detailed in the forum thread listed above and the howto listed in the forum thread. 

I've successfully used this approach to install MediaWiki on SME.

PHP4 has been discontinued on 2007-12-31 - almost a year ago already, and only security patches will be released. The problem though is that a LOT of programs don't run on PHP4 anymore, so it doesn't really make sense to stick with it for too long. I understand that PHP has been tried & tested, but we've been running PHP5 for a few years now (2005) and it's much better in many ways than PHP4.

I would really recommend SME look into offering PHP5 even if SME 8 isn't ready for release yet.

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 10:38:26 AM »
I would really recommend SME look into offering PHP5 even if SME 8 isn't ready for release yet.
That would mean a lot of effort for the limited resources of the small developers team and unless some serious dedication from someone to this project , either in time or in money, I do not think this is likely to happen. Keep in mind that PHP on SME Server is only there because of the fact that the webmail interface uses it. A side effect is that you can use it for your webpages and other software as well.
If you need PHP5 the forum contains instructions on howto install it as a CGI module, like mentioned in this thread before.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline gzartman

• +0/-0
    • LEI Engineering & Surveying
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 03:56:28 PM »
PHP4 has been discontinued on 2007-12-31 - almost a year ago already, and only security patches will be released.
The problem though is that a LOT of programs don't run on PHP4 anymore, so it doesn't really make sense to stick with it for too long. I understand that PHP has been tried & tested, but we've been running PHP5 for a few years now (2005) and it's much better in many ways than PHP4.

SME 7.x is based on Centos 4.x (RHEL 4.x).   My understanding is that Centos 4.x (RHEL 4) will never deploy PHP 5 in the base OS.   However, this OS is still fully supported by the upstream vendor, so php 4 will be updated and supported as needed to provide stable/secure php.

The SME devteam follows the lead of the upstream vendor almost without exception.   It is very highly unlikely php 5 will ever make it into the SME 7.x core.

Your best bet is to follow the suggestions above for adding php5, or switch to SME 8 beta.
----
Greg J. Zartman
LEI Engineering & Surveying

SME user and community member since 2000.

Offline soprom

• +0/-0
    • www.logiciel-libre.org
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 04:02:49 PM »
A side effect is that you can use it for your webpages and other software as well.
This point seems rather weak since a server not supporting php/mysql would be of much less interest. And Horde would not be a great seller by itself...

CGI has its limitations. In eGroupware, the projects module does not work well with CGI.

So I think that testing SME8 is the main thing to do. It has been the same when waiting for SME7. Test the contribs and your apps on the next version as much as possible.
Sophie from Montréal

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 05:00:05 PM »
This point seems rather weak since a server not supporting php/mysql would be of much less interest. And Horde would not be a great seller by itself...
As weak as it may be, it is the way it is. SME Server was started to be a replacement for microsoft small business server like products, so samba, mail and file sharing.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)