Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Vmware from outside local network

Offline smeerbartje

• +0/-0
Vmware from outside local network
« on: November 29, 2008, 08:48:00 PM »
Hi, I have installed Vmware server on my SME 7.3 server. From inside the local network I can perfectly connect to the Windows XP virtual machine on a Windows XP machine with vmware client. But from outside the local network I get the following error message:

I already ran the following command:

Code: [Select]
To allow console access from all over the internet:

config set vmware service access public status enabled TCPPort 902

But this did not help.

Offline christian

• +0/-0
    • http://www.szpilfogel.com
Re: Vmware from outside local network
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 11:38:17 PM »
did you also do the following?
signal-event remoteaccess-update
I assume from the error you are running VMWare 1.x.
SME since 2003

Offline smeerbartje

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 12:57:12 PM »
did you also do the following?
I assume from the error you are running VMWare 1.x.

Already did the signal-event remoteaccess-update. Also rebooted the server, but still the same error. I'm using the following version:

[root@vhe-490181 ~]# yum info installed smeserver-vmware-server VMware-server
==============================================================
WARNING: Additional commands may be required after running yum
==============================================================
Loading "smeserver" plugin
Loading "fastestmirror" plugin
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Installed Packages
Name   : VMware-server
Arch   : i386
Version: 1.0.8
Release: 126538
Size   : 188 M
Repo   : installed
Summary: VMware Server

Description:
 VMware Virtual Platform is a thin software layer that allows multiple guest
operating systems to run concurrently on a single standard PC, without
repartitioning or rebooting, and without significant loss of performance.

Name   : smeserver-vmware-server
Arch   : noarch
Version: 0.0.1
Release: 4.el4.sme
Size   : 418
Repo   : installed
Summary: VMware server integration package for SME Server

Description:
 VMware server integration package for SME Server

Offline daniel

• +0/-0
  • Platinum Sponsor
    • http://www.charton-mgmt.com
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 03:31:35 AM »
I too have the same problem, I'm using 1.0.7 VMWare.   If I use vpn to connect to my server, I can run the vmware console fine.   I think it has something to do with the install, I remember at some point it asks what network adapter I want to connect it to, and I selected eth0 (internal) instead of eth1(wan).   

Offline smeerbartje

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 04:26:53 PM »
I too have the same problem, I'm using 1.0.7 VMWare.   If I use vpn to connect to my server, I can run the vmware console fine.   I think it has something to do with the install, I remember at some point it asks what network adapter I want to connect it to, and I selected eth0 (internal) instead of eth1(wan).

Can someone please confirm? Is this related to the selected NIC during installation of vmware server?

Offline daniel

• +0/-0
  • Platinum Sponsor
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 06:04:06 AM »
I tested my theory tonight, by re doing the vmware-config.pl command and selecting both eth0 and eth1 as network adapters for VMware to use.  However, this didn't make any difference, because I could not get my vmware console to connect through the WAN (eth1).   It must be something else stopping port 902 from connecting. 

I also had a very bad experience with my server.  I did a yum upgrade and when I rebooted, I could no longer get connected to the server on eth0 (LAN) so after an hour of frustration, I happended to run vmware-config.pl and at the point it stops VMware the LAN starts working. 

Now after doing some more testing, each time I do a yum update where it requires a reconfigure and reboot, I now have to do a vmware-config.pl and take all the defaults to get the eth0 (LAN) to work.  Anybody else experiencing the same issues?

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 10:38:06 AM »
Now after doing some more testing, each time I do a yum update where it requires a reconfigure and reboot, I now have to do a vmware-config.pl and take all the defaults to get the eth0 (LAN) to work.  Anybody else experiencing the same issues?
No, only when an updated kernel is installed. This is a known feature and is caused by VMWare compiling it's own kernel modules on your system (most likely).
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline daniel

• +0/-0
  • Platinum Sponsor
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 04:46:11 AM »
Thats what I thought too, but I wouldn't think sme-userpanel and sme-remoteuseraccess would cause it to stop working on eth0.  I'm going to do some testing this weekend on it to see if I can find a pattern or if was just a fluke.

Still SME rocks.

Offline smeerbartje

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 09:04:32 AM »
Thats what I thought too, but I wouldn't think sme-userpanel and sme-remoteuseraccess would cause it to stop working on eth0.  I'm going to do some testing this weekend on it to see if I can find a pattern or if was just a fluke.

Still SME rocks.

SME rocks indeed. But we still have no answer on the issue of reaching vmware virtual hosts from outside the local network. Anyone some suggestions?

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 01:57:58 PM »
SME rocks indeed. But we still have no answer on the issue of reaching vmware virtual hosts from outside the local network. Anyone some suggestions?
What is your network layout? Are you sure there are no other firewalls in between your wan interface and the SME Server? You are sure you are trying this while located outside your network?
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline smeerbartje

• +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 02:17:04 PM »
What is your network layout? Are you sure there are no other firewalls in between your wan interface and the SME Server? You are sure you are trying this while located outside your network?

Hi, yes I'm sure I'm trying outside the network. The server is connected directly to the internet via a university network (100 mbit fiber, the server has an external ip address). All inbound connections go directly to the server. I also did a "config set vmware service access public status enabled TCPPort 902" to make sure the port is open for external traffic. Still I'm not able to connect from outside the local network :(. Any help?

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 08:36:52 PM »
Hi, yes I'm sure I'm trying outside the network. The server is connected directly to the internet via a university network (100 mbit fiber, the server has an external ip address). All inbound connections go directly to the server. I also did a "config set vmware service access public status enabled TCPPort 902" to make sure the port is open for external traffic. Still I'm not able to connect from outside the local network :(. Any help?
And what does this output?
netstat -anp | grep 902

Offline smeerbartje

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 08:41:16 PM »
And what does this output?
netstat -anp | grep 902

Output:

[root@vhe-490181 ~]# netstat -anp | grep 902
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:902                 0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      3955/xinetd
tcp        0    154 192.168.1.100:902           192.168.1.1:3235            ESTABLISHED 3127/vmware-serverd
tcp        0      0 192.168.1.100:902           192.168.1.1:4181            ESTABLISHED 5775/vmware-vmx

When running the netstat command, I was connected to a virtual machine from the local network.

Offline daniel

• +0/-0
  • Platinum Sponsor
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 10:54:40 PM »
Hey I figured it out.  I built a test server with a public eth1 and a private eth0 in server-gateway mode then I installed the two RPMs for VMware 1.0.7 and smeserver-vmware, reconfigured and rebooted.  I could then get my windows vmware console to work on the internal ethernet but not the external ethernet.  I picked at it till I figured this out. 

db configuration setprop vmware-authd access public

This allows me to connect to the VMware via windows console on both internal (eth0) and external (eth1)

It looks like smeserver-vmware sets up the service vmware-authd on port 902.  When I run the vmware-config.pl it says port 902 is busy and it suggests 903.  I used that.  I'm not
sure what vmware-authd is and how its set up.  I just know what I did is working now.

Now as to the configuration, I think I had things messed up when I did a vmware-config.pl

I'm testing some options right now, I'll post my best solutions to that issue later.

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 10:56:39 PM »
I'm not sure what vmware-authd is and how its set up.  I just know what I did is working now.
It is a service (daemon) doing the authentication for the VMWare management interfaces.