Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

[ANNOUNCE] smeserver-backuppc-3.0-0

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
    • Firewall Services, la sécurité des réseaux
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 09:40:36 AM »
Yes, I've allready configured a windows XP pro and a windows server 2003 to be backed up using cygwin+rsyncd. You can find an excellent how-to here http://www.sonoracomm.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=86&Itemid=32
This how-to also explain how-to add encryption (with ssh) beacause by default with rsyncd, the password doesn't pass in clear, but the data does. If you follow this step by step, you shouldn't have any problem, you just have to addapt some settings as it's written for smeserver-backuppc-1.0-5
C'est la fin du monde !!! :lol:

Offline DavidClarke

• +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 06:26:29 PM »
I cracked the same failure to authenticate to the rsync server module by finding that no username was being passed.

Under Server, on the configuration Editor, select Edit Config and on the Xfer tab check that method = rsyncd has RsyncdUserName and RsyncdPasswd filled in to match the secrets file on the client PC.

Took an age for me to find it, as I was concerned about a particular host configuration. Allowing non-authenticated transfers worked just fine.

Hope That Helps

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 09:34:49 AM »
Quote from: "markseymour"
Daniel, and all smeserver-backuppc-3.0-0 users,

This looks great.... now, if only I can get backuppc to authenticate to the rsyncd on my 'Windows XP Home' machines. Please tell me if any of you can help, or if I must take this up with the BackupPC project.

I am running smeserver-backuppc-3.0-0 on SME 7.1.3.  It runs the local default backup job just fine.  

A commandline rsync test works fine from my SME server to a 'Windows XP Home' box running the rsyncd packaged from the BackupPC sourceforge site: cygwin-rsyncd-2.6.8_0.zip. (rsyncd was run from the Windows command line, I'll leave my troubles with running as a service for another post).
Code: [Select]
[root@mail3 tmp]# rsync -av backup@192.168.111.40::test .
Password:
receiving file list ... done
... <snip> ...
sent 391 bytes  received 2241522 bytes  407620.55 bytes/sec
total size is 2240235  speedup is 1.00

When I try a BackupPC job, it logs this error:
2007-05-21 21:55:53 User admin requested backup of markseymour (markseymour)
2007-05-21 21:55:54 Started full backup on markseymour (pid=9448, share=test)
2007-05-21 21:56:02 Backup failed on markseymour (auth failed on module test)

and the rsyncd.log on the Windows machine says:
2007/05/21 21:56:45 [3332] connect from mail3.guildassociates.com (192.168.111.1)
2007/05/21 21:56:45 [3332] auth failed on module test from mail3.guildassociates.com (192.168.111.1): unauthorized user

The rsyncd.secrets file on Windows contains:

backup:<password>
admin:<same password>

I'm confident that the password is correct because I used the Windows clipboard in both instances to paste it into both the RsyncdPasswd of the BackupPC panel, and into a putty window for the commandline test.

1) Have others here succeeded backing up 'Windows XP Home', or for that matter, 'Windows XP Pro' via rsyncd/smeserver-backuppc?

2) Any clues for me?

Thanks,

Mark

(I do have ClientCharset set to cp1252.)

Ok, I understand your problem now. In fact, I haven't tested rsyncd since I release 3.0, and I thought it was exactly the same as the previous version. In fact, there's a bug in the CGI of 3.0 which prevent to configure the rsyncdUsername in the per-pc config. You have two solutions:
- you set rsyncd as the default backup method, you set a username in the global configuration and you always use this username on all your hosts

- or you fix the bug like this:
edit the file /usr/local/BackupPC/lib/BackupPC/Config/Meta.pm

and, just after this line:
RsyncdPasswd              => "string",

Add this:
RsyncdUserName            => "string",

And in /etc/BackupPC/config.pl
add this:
'RsyncdUserName' => '1',

just after
'RsyncdPasswd' =>'1',

Then you should be able to set the rsyncdUserName in the per-pc configuration file.

Cheers.

markseymour

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2007, 12:27:32 AM »
Quote from: "DavidClarke"
I cracked the same failure to authenticate to the rsync server module by finding that no username was being passed.
<snip>
Hope That Helps

David:  It helps tremendously!  Thank you very much!

Quote from: "VIP-ire"

Ok, I understand your problem now.
<snip>
Then you should be able to set the rsyncdUserName in the per-pc configuration file.

Cheers.

Daniel, again, thank you for providing this contrib!!  Now I'll fix it the correct way for per-pc config.

Is anybody watching here who has used the Sonorracom.com instructions under
__ Configure a Windows Host - Method 2 (rsyncd over SSH, Encrypted)
**and** who would be willing to document which settings must be adapted to work with smeserver-backuppc-3.0-0 ?

Also, has anybody succeeded in running the Rsyncd packaged by the BackupPC folks --as a service-- on 'Win XP *Home*' ??
File permissions are different, and not so accessible on XP Home.

(Maybe that one really belongs on the BackupPC boards....)

Thanks,

Mark

Offline progitto

• +0/-0
    • http://umbertomassari.dyndns.org
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 07:51:59 PM »
I have some problem with this contrib: in the server-manager backuppc tell me that "Wrong user: my userid is 454, instead of (BackupDaemon)".
What is it?
I've tried to reinstall the contrib with the same problem.
On my test server I have no problem.

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2007, 02:45:09 PM »
Quote from: "progitto"
I have some problem with this contrib: in the server-manager backuppc tell me that "Wrong user: my userid is 454, instead of (BackupDaemon)".
What is it?
I've tried to reinstall the contrib with the same problem.
On my test server I have no problem.

Looks like backuppc daemon doesn't run as backuppc user. Check it with
ps aux | grep BackupPC
You should see something like

backuppc 27851  0.0  0.6 11468 6436 ?        S    Jun22   0:07 /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC -d
backuppc 27854  0.0  0.4  8720 4816 ?        S    Jun22   0:49 /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_trashClean

If you don't have this, there's a problem with the user backuppc.Try to select backuppc user (su -s /bin/bash backuppc when your are loged in root) and then type:
/usr/local/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC -d
And see if it's working.

Also, a new release is available (3.0-1), there're some fixes:
- bug in the CGI, now you can set rsyncdusername in the per pc config
- /opt/backuppc and /selinux are excluded from the localhost by default
- par2 binary is included
- all the config and the logs are stored under /opt/backuppc
- some scripts which allows offiste backups (I haven't wrote the documentation yet, I'll do as soon as I can).

http://sme.firewall-services.com/spip.php?article44

Cheers, daniel

Offline progitto

• +0/-0
    • http://umbertomassari.dyndns.org
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2007, 08:56:11 PM »
Thanks Daniel for your help, I've fixed the problem (it was a wrong user problem) installing the old backuppc contribs and then update to 3.0.1 version.
Thanks also for this contrib.  :pint:

Ciao

Offline sonoracomm

• +0/-0
    • http://www.sonoracomm.com
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2007, 10:45:22 PM »
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the BackupPC update to 3.0.  I appreciate it very much.

I upgraded my primary BackupPC installation and things went pretty well for the most part.

I was having issues with BackupPC dying and failing to respond (web interface).  Sorry, I don't remember the error message, but some Googling lead me to believe it was memory related.  So I bumped the memory allotment to the VMware VM from 512MB to 768MB a couple of days ago.  So far, so good.

I took a stab at updating my howto for this new version of the contrib.  If anyone finds any errors, I would appreciate their corrections and feedback.

http://www.sonoracomm.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=86

G

ragg987

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2007, 12:40:37 AM »
sonoracomm, from your website:

# RsyncArgs

* add --checksum-seed=32761
          o not for SME 6

# RsyncRestoreArgs

* add --checksum-seed=32761
          o not for SME 6

This causes an error on a windows client using rsync as a service (rsync.exe dated 5 Aug 2006). Using SME 7.1.3.

But apart from that, and my being a bit slow, nice guide. Thanks.

Offline sonoracomm

• +0/-0
    • http://www.sonoracomm.com
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2007, 04:52:40 PM »
Hi, and thanks for your comments.

For now, I modified the howto to mention that the --checksum-seed=32761 argument may not work on Windows.

I believe it worked for me during previous testing, but I'm not in a position to test this at the moment.  I'll try to revisit this issue in the future.

I also found another rsync daemon for Windows that I want to test called DeltaCopy.  I used it in another situation where I use cron to backup a Windows machine to a SME Server, then backup the SME Server with BackupPC.

G

Offline alefattorini

• +0/-0
  • www.nethserver.org
    • www.nethserver.org
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2007, 11:03:47 AM »
I have follow this howto,
http://sme.firewall-services.com/spip.php?article44

but in server-manager i have this error

The requested URL /backuppc/cgi-bin/BackupPC_Admin was not found on this server.

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2007, 01:29:17 PM »
I don't know where the problem comes from, have a look at the log file:
tail -f /var/log/httpd/error_log

Any other contrib installed? have you upgraded from 1.0-5 ?

Offline alefattorini

• +0/-0
  • www.nethserver.org
    • www.nethserver.org
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2007, 01:32:43 PM »
Quote from: "VIP-ire"
I don't know where the problem comes from, have a look at the log file:
tail -f /var/log/httpd/error_log

[Mon Aug 06 13:31:19 2007] [error] [client 192.168.5.9] File does not exist: /opt/backuppc/images/cgi-bin

Any other contrib installed? have you upgraded from 1.0-5 ?

No, fresh install on fresh smeserver

Offline jahlewis

• +0/-0
    • http://www.arachnerd.com/
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2007, 02:29:37 PM »
Daniel, have you made any progress on interfacing the your old archive options for backuppc 3.0?  I'm tempted to revert back to the 2.1 version so as to get back the easy to use archive ability you coded.  I like 3.0, but the ability to archive backed up hosts to a secondary USB drive is a key issue for me.

Also, has anyone had any success at getting a rsync client to run on Windows Vista?

-JL

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2007, 03:11:09 PM »
Quote from: "jahlewis"
Daniel, have you made any progress on interfacing the your old archive options for backuppc 3.0?  I'm tempted to revert back to the 2.1 version so as to get back the easy to use archive ability you coded.  I like 3.0, but the ability to archive backed up hosts to a secondary USB drive is a key issue for me.

Also, has anyone had any success at getting a rsync client to run on Windows Vista?

-JL

I've added some scripts to archive hosts and replick the pool in a much more efficient way than 1.0-5 does, but I haven't wrote documentation for now (I don't have the time for now). The hosts and the pool can be syncronized on
- a remote *NIX host
- a local directory
- a remouvable device like usb HD

You can look at the scripts in /usr/local/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_SME...

The config files are in /etc/BackupPC
(remote Archive.conf, localArchive.conf, etc...)
Once you have changed the config file to reflect what you want, you can run the corresponding script (with the user backuppc) by hand, or in a cron job.
As soon as I have time, I'll wrote a full documentation. Waiting for this, you can mail me to have further informations.
Cheers.