Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

FTP access to I-Bays

rodassan

FTP access to I-Bays
« on: April 11, 2007, 01:56:57 AM »
I am trying to access an I-Bay via FTP on a SME v 7.1.3 server.
It does not seem to matter which Username or password I use, I can only get read only access.
I have used WS_FTP, SmartFTP and WinSCP, but can only connect in FTP mode not sFTP or FTP over SSL.
I can connect directly to the server using putty without any problem.
Even with the admin user i cannot write to any directory on the server including the admin home directory.
I am sure it is something minor that I am missing, but I just can't see what.

Offline christian

• +0/-0
    • http://www.szpilfogel.com
FTP access to I-Bays
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 03:01:44 AM »
Have you tried logging into the ibay with the ibayname and and the password for that ibay. Have you also checked permissions for the ibay through the ibay user panel manager?

Normally if you enable the permissions per the documentation, you then ftp to the server enter the ibayname and password (eg. ftp://ibayname@server.com) and then it should drop you in to the directory for that ibay. as a shortcut try ftp://ibayname:ibaypasswrd@yourserver.com.

If this doesn't work then show us you ibay permissions settings and any topology relevant to how you get to the server (ie. scenarios you tested).
SME since 2003

Offline raem

• +4/-0
Re: FTP access to I-Bays
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 12:50:47 PM »
rodassan

> I am trying to access an I-Bay via FTP on a SME v 7.1.3 server.
> It does not seem to matter which Username or password I use,
> I can only get read only access.
> I have used WS_FTP, SmartFTP and WinSCP, but can only connect in
> FTP mode not sFTP or FTP over SSL.

Write access via ftp is not allowed when connecting anonymously to an ibay (and that's what you are effectively doing).

To get write access to an ibay using sftp, I suggest you read the manual very carefully (the ibay chapter) as it is quite explicit re how to do this ie you connect as a valid user and then cd\ to the ibay using your sftp client.

There are other issues with doing this re controlling what the user has access too, so search on ftp and sftp for concise answers re the dungog contrib you need for better control of this functionality.