Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

[ANNOUNCEMENT] Turn SME7 into a dedicated backup server

Offline edb

• +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 05:19:36 AM »
Can I ask why you wouldn't use BackupPC for this instead of recreating the wheel?

Nice work though!

Offline timb

• +0/-0
    • http://www.tbitc.com
Think I found a bug
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2007, 03:32:00 AM »
Hi,
Little background - have a nice new server - experimenting with affa on it before it goes into production - burn in if you like.

Running affa - filled the 1.5T of disk space over a couple of backups.... oops Backing up 900G of data btw.

Blew away the /var/affa/machine dir

yum removed affa
yum installed the latest 1.3 version

re ran the machine.pl I created but this time cut all the keeps to 1
start backup (which is doing something - a backup can be seen in /var/affa/machine/scheduled.0)

decide to monitor
affa --status
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at /sbin/e-smith/affa line 1360.
Use of uninitialized value in subtraction (-) at /sbin/e-smith/affa line 1361.
Use of uninitialized value in integer ge (>=) at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/Time/Local.pm line 98.
Use of uninitialized value in integer lt (<) at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/Time/Local.pm line 98.
Use of uninitialized value in integer ge (>=) at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/Time/Local.pm line 98.
Use of uninitialized value in integer gt (>) at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/Time/Local.pm line 102.
Month '-1' out of range 0..11 at /sbin/e-smith/affa line 1361

If you need any other files etc pls contact me

BTW this looks like a brilliant tool - cant see how backupc or whatever could even begin to be considered a replacement or option for affa's functionality.

Great job! - No - briliant!

:oops:

Offline m

• +0/-0
  • Peet
Re: Think I found a bug
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2007, 09:46:37 PM »
Quote from: "timb"

Running affa - filled the 1.5T of disk space over a couple of backups.... oops Backing up 900G of data btw.

Version <=0.0.8 allowed to set scheduledKeep=1. With this setting affa has nothing to hardlink against and every run creates a physically full backup. As of version 0.1.1 scheduledKeep must be >= 2. Affa forces it to 2 ,if it was set to a lower value.

re ran the machine.pl I created but this time cut all the keeps to 1
start backup (which is doing something - a backup can be seen in /var/affa/machine/scheduled.0)

As said above, you should see a scheduled.0 and scheduled.1 after two runs.

decide to monitor
affa --status
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at /sbin/e-smith/affa line 1360.
Use of uninitialized value in subtraction (-) at /sbin/e-smith/affa line 1361.
Use of uninitialized value in integer lt (<) at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/Time/Local.pm line 98.
Use of uninitialized value in integer gt (>) at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/Time/Local.pm line 102.
Month '-1' out of range 0..11 at /sbin/e-smith/affa line 1361

If you need any other files etc pls contact me

Would you please send me the file /home/e-smith/db/affa, the directory /home/e-smith/db/affa-report/ and the output of 'ls -l /var/affa/machine/' to mweinber (at) neddix.de.
Thanks.

PS:  Please be aware of major release number of zero. Although the concept is proven and the implemention has been already sucessfully tested in many production  environments, the affa release is still not final and may have bugs.

Offline m

• +0/-0
  • Peet
Re: Think I found a bug
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2007, 01:19:44 PM »

Very early versions has used a different date format in the report files, which is not comaptible with the date format use now. It's no longer an issue with current version.

Version 0.1.4 is available. Among other improvements the --full-restore option ist now implemented. See the wiki for an example: http://wiki.contribs.org/Affa#Full_restore

Offline soprom

• +0/-0
    • www.logiciel-libre.org
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2007, 02:33:24 AM »
This seems to be a great contribs!
I like it better than the so complicated backupPC.

Do you plan to have it controled from the server-manager!?
Sophie from Montréal

Offline gerd

• +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2007, 05:12:24 PM »
Soprom,

I must confess I am a Linux novice and I have the same opinion as you.

But as a "Linux novice" I didn't dare to ask for a sme-server control....but this would be an ideal solution for newbies like me.

regards

gerd

Offline gerd

• +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2007, 06:56:11 PM »
...just finished the 1st affa trial run - seems to work perfectly

regards

gerd

Offline m

• +0/-0
  • Peet
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2007, 09:39:04 PM »
Quote from: "soprom"

Do you plan to have it controled from the server-manager!?

Short answer: No. It was a very early decision to design Affa as a command line tool.
I need a fast and lean tool, which can be used efficiently on the console or over a slow modem line.
A GUI is far to much trouble (for me), to say nothing of the expense to develop it.

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2007, 03:30:41 PM »
I have successfully configured AFFA to backup a windows workstation using cygwin with openssh & rsync installed.

On a "test" system on my local network, all is fine.

When backing up a remote system, I get an rsync error 12.  The remote system has several large (up to 6GB) files, and the folder I'm backing up contains some .lnk files

1) Do you already know what my problem is? (be nice!)

or

2) Is there an easy way to figure out exactly what rsync command AFFA is using so I could run it manually &/or play with the various options to try to figure out what's not working? (As I worked on this I kept wishing that the affa log contained the exact rsync command...)

As I post this I have just increased the rsyncTimeout to 3600; I don't know if this will help or not.

Offline m

• +0/-0
  • Peet
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2007, 08:19:58 AM »
Quote from: "mmccarn"

2) Is there an easy way to figure out exactly what rsync command AFFA is using so I could run it manually &/or play with the various options to try to figure out what's not working? (As I worked on this I kept wishing that the affa log contained the exact rsync command...)

with property 'Debug' set to 'yes', Affa logs the exact rsync command and the warning messages of rsync.

Offline Brenno

• +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2007, 09:17:53 PM »
Wow... this installed really well on both machines (backup = SME 7.0, source = SME 6.0) and, when finally configured correctly via instructions at the excellent wiki, worked just as expected!!

For stats, I moved 7.4GB in 134,790 files over a 100M network in 35m08s from a 2xP4 1gHz, 1GB RAM to a 1xP4 2.4gHz 256MB RAM.

The only issue I (think) I have is that I didn't get an email report when the job completed.  I used the "affa --mailtest job" and received the test, though, and was getting email error reports before I corrected the config.

Other than that, this is a seriously effective contrib.  Very nice work.

Offline m

• +0/-0
  • Peet
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2007, 10:13:46 PM »
Quote from: "Brenno"

For stats, I moved 7.4GB in 134,790 files over a 100M network in 35m08s from a 2xP4 1gHz, 1GB RAM to a 1xP4 2.4gHz 256MB RAM.

Thanks. Added it to http://wiki.contribs.org/Affa#Performance

The only issue I (think) I have is that I didn't get an email report when the job completed.  I used the "affa --mailtest job" and received the test, though, and was getting email error reports before I corrected the config.

Affa never sends messages on success, only on failures. Think of 20 configured jobs, you would be flooded with success messages.

Other than that, this is a seriously effective contrib.  Very nice work.

Many  thanks. I'm pleased, that you find it useful.

Offline Brenno

• +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2007, 10:21:16 PM »
You have the source/destination specs reversed in the wiki : )  The source was the SME6.0 box and I did not use compression.

Understand re: the success message.  I'm so used to getting automated success messages that it seemed conspicuously absent!

Offline m

• +0/-0
  • Peet
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2007, 10:30:37 PM »
You have the source/destination specs reversed in the wiki : )  The source was the SME6.0 box and I did not use compression.

Oopsala. Fixed.

Understand re: the success message.  I'm so used to getting automated success messages that it seemed conspicuously absent!

I added a note to the wiki doc.

Offline Brenno

• +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2007, 03:16:00 PM »
Michael,

Now that this has had a chance to run on it's own overnight, I've discovered some issues, probably minor, probably my fault:

1.) I have two jobs configured, "prodbox" and "myprodsrv".  I think this is because I followed both the Quick Start Example and the Configuration sections in the wiki, which apparently results in building two separate jobs!  How do I safely remove one of those jobs?

2.) I received a notice mail from the source server saying "serviceControl: Couldn't system(/etc/rc.d/rc7.d/S85httpd-e-smith, restart):
Couldn't restart httpd-e-smith at /etc/e-smith/events/actions/restart-httpd-full line 45." and now I can't get into the server-manager.  Is this coincidental?

I can post logs or file contents if this is helpful to you.