Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

VPN from local network only

1slorunner

« on: April 04, 2007, 01:13:19 PM »
Let me start off by saying that SME Server is a wonderful product!  I am having a problem VPNing into the network from outside the local network and I am wondering if I am missing something.  The server is setup in Server Mode and I can VPN from the local network but when I attempt to VPN from outside the network, no luck.  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Joe

Offline haymann

• +0/-0
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 02:27:50 PM »
Hi Joe,
What are you using as a firewall? Do you have it setup to allow a VPN connection? Most of them will have some sort of VPN pass-through option that needs enabled.
Ryan

1slorunner

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 03:08:36 PM »
I have the server setup in the DMZ of my router so I would imagine that it would be accessible.  Anything else that I should check?

Offline haymann

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 03:07:16 AM »
Quote from: "1slorunner"
I have the server setup in the DMZ of my router so I would imagine that it would be accessible.  Anything else that I should check?
I have never set it up that way so I can't say for sure...

I had problems connecting via VPN externally for awhile myself. I finally figured out that my work network was blocking pptp VPN sessions. I did get my network admin to enable VPN pass-through, but I also started using the OpenVPN contrib that is pretty easy to find on the contrib board, and I like it better now.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 04:50:59 AM »
Quote from: "1slorunner"
I have the server setup in the DMZ of my router so I would imagine that it would be accessible.

That would depend on how the DMZ of the router was configured. Is the DMZ a genuine DMZ, or is the router doing NAT? Does TCP protocol 1723 and protocol GRE (47) get to the SME server? If not, then PPTP can't work.