Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Fresh from Windows Server 2003

Offline bpivk

• +0/-0
    • http://www.bezigrad.com
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 10:58:04 PM »
could you please give me a tutorial on how to get a website up on this box/server

Sorry for repeating my self but you really should read the manual because it contains all the infor for making a quick website.
So i'll give you a few guides...
1. Make an ibay
2. Put your files there
3. Open port on firewall
4. browse the website

The first and secont points are explained in the manual. The third point depends on your router and the last is optional.
"It should just work" if it doesn't report it. Thanks!

Offline wjhobbs

• +0/-0
    • http://www.chryxus.ca
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 03:52:35 AM »
The SME Server was designed to do a few things very well. Included in this list would be:

- acting as a file/print server for a predominantly Windows LAN
- acting as an email server (with good spam and virus filtering)
- acting as a web server for multiple domains
- acting as a DHCP server for local machines
- acting as a dns server for local machines to use
- acting as a gateway device (firewall/router) for the local network

Some things have been done on SME Server slightly differently from other distributions to achieve two goals: first, to make this a very secure server out of the box; and second, to make it easier to administer by less technical people. What this means is that you cannot blindly do what a generic Linux textbook might tell you in order to achieve a certain end.

To get to your desire to get up and running quickly...

To set up local file shares, create ibays and store the data in the .../files subdirectory of the ibay. Set up a Group (or two or three) as a means of controlling which set of users can access which ibays. Their Windows userid/password should match their SME userid/password to allow appropriate access. On the Windows clients, map a network drive to the ibay or directly to the /files directory.

The email server is ready to go. Just add users and appropriate domains. (Go to the 'E-mail' menu item to set spam filtering options, enable webmail access, etc.)

To set up a web server for different domains, first create an ibay ('Information bays' menu item) for each domain; then add a domain name ('Domains' menu item) and point it to the ibay and select 'resolve locally'. Then if you go to 'Hostnames and addresses' you will see what has been set up for you automagically. In effect, these are your dns entries. Then put your web site content in the .../html folder of the ibay (there is a default index page generated when you create the ibay). That domain's web site should be accessible locally (sometimes I have noticed a delay of some considerable time before the domain's dns entries get recognized -- just be patient).

The DHCP server can be enabled or not in the configuration menu.

The dns server also acts as a WINS server. It interacts with public dns servers as necessary to resolve requests. To have an external browser access a web site for one of your domains, simply point a public dns service at your public IP address. If you need to change where a local dns entry points, go to the 'Hostnames and addresses' menu item and modify the relevant entry.

If you have set your server up to be in gateway/server mode, you need two NICs one connecting to the external internet (e.g., through a dsl/cable modem) and the other connecting to your lan (hub/router etc.). This setting enables a full-function firewall and router. If you are in server-only mode, you need your network's firewall/router to forward the necessary ports (e.g., for web access and email) to the SME Server.

That should get you going with the basics.

However, because it is a server based on a Red Hat distribution you could add quite a bit more if you wanted. BUT, learn a lot more before you embark on that course of action. Make extensive use of the search function on these forums, read the manual and wiki (links provided earlier). There is a learning curve -- take the time to learn.

Enjoy!

John

EveningJazz

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2007, 06:57:05 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I want to say thank you to all that have contributed to my SME server education.

EveningJazz

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2007, 07:16:18 AM »
This message is for wjhobbs

This is what I was looking for the whole time I thank you very very much.

Thanks again for the effort it is very nice :)

Offline compdoc

• +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2007, 06:06:46 PM »
Its not a toy - its a very secure, very stable server. We've helped you, and you insult us by name calling. Nice...

Offline compdoc

• +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2007, 06:18:40 PM »
By the way, I build and service servers for businesses. I know Windows Server even better than I know SME, and that includes MS Exchange, and SQL Server.

And I would never connect a Windows based server directly to the web. That only invites disaster. I cant name all the exploits and vulnerabilities Windows has had over the years. Who knows what new ones will be discovered in years to come.

Open source is MS's only real competitor - and for good reason...

Offline bpivk

• +0/-0
    • http://www.bezigrad.com
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2007, 07:47:02 PM »
Quote from: "compdoc"
By the way, I build and service servers for businesses. I know Windows Server even better than I know SME, and that includes MS Exchange, and SQL Server.

And I would never connect a Windows based server directly to the web. That only invites disaster. I cant name all the exploits and vulnerabilities Windows has had over the years. Who knows what new ones will be discovered in years to come.

Open source is MS's only real competitor - and for good reason...

I agree with you 110%. I had a MS server and it had to be behind a firewall not to mention all the problems, bugs and exploits.
Sme can do all that MS did and better and i sure agree that it's a powerfull OS.
"It should just work" if it doesn't report it. Thanks!

EveningJazz

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2007, 09:51:00 PM »
Quote from: "compdoc"
Its not a toy - its a very secure, very stable server. We've helped you, and you insult us by name calling. Nice...

I am not pleased at all with my post. After I posted it I walked out the door and didn't edit it out. This was wrong of me and I apologize. I am sorry and I truly feel that this was uncalled for and a case of very poor judgement.  

Thanks for welcoming me into the community this will not happen from me again. It is not professional and of good character. Hopefully I will be forgiven and we can move on. I do apologize :oops:

I still want to learn this server and this is not a good start saying things like that.

EveningJazz

EveningJazz

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2007, 04:35:02 AM »
Quote from: "bpivk"
could you please give me a tutorial on how to get a website up on this box/server

Sorry for repeating my self but you really should read the manual because it contains all the infor for making a quick website.
So i'll give you a few guides...
1. Make an ibay
2. Put your files there
3. Open port on firewall
4. browse the website

The first and secont points are explained in the manual. The third point depends on your router and the last is optional.

Ok thanks! I got that but what about multiple SSL sites and IP addresses? Is this a factor in this type of webserver?

In IIS you can only have one SSL site per public/private IP is this the same on this Linux box?

Thank you

EveningJazz

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2007, 04:37:30 AM »
Quote from: "wjhobbs"
The SME Server was designed to do a few things very well. Included in this list would be:

- acting as a file/print server for a predominantly Windows LAN
- acting as an email server (with good spam and virus filtering)
- acting as a web server for multiple domains
- acting as a DHCP server for local machines
- acting as a dns server for local machines to use
- acting as a gateway device (firewall/router) for the local network

Some things have been done on SME Server slightly differently from other distributions to achieve two goals: first, to make this a very secure server out of the box; and second, to make it easier to administer by less technical people. What this means is that you cannot blindly do what a generic Linux textbook might tell you in order to achieve a certain end.

To get to your desire to get up and running quickly...

To set up local file shares, create ibays and store the data in the .../files subdirectory of the ibay. Set up a Group (or two or three) as a means of controlling which set of users can access which ibays. Their Windows userid/password should match their SME userid/password to allow appropriate access. On the Windows clients, map a network drive to the ibay or directly to the /files directory.

The email server is ready to go. Just add users and appropriate domains. (Go to the 'E-mail' menu item to set spam filtering options, enable webmail access, etc.)

To set up a web server for different domains, first create an ibay ('Information bays' menu item) for each domain; then add a domain name ('Domains' menu item) and point it to the ibay and select 'resolve locally'. Then if you go to 'Hostnames and addresses' you will see what has been set up for you automagically. In effect, these are your dns entries. Then put your web site content in the .../html folder of the ibay (there is a default index page generated when you create the ibay). That domain's web site should be accessible locally (sometimes I have noticed a delay of some considerable time before the domain's dns entries get recognized -- just be patient).

The DHCP server can be enabled or not in the configuration menu.

The dns server also acts as a WINS server. It interacts with public dns servers as necessary to resolve requests. To have an external browser access a web site for one of your domains, simply point a public dns service at your public IP address. If you need to change where a local dns entry points, go to the 'Hostnames and addresses' menu item and modify the relevant entry.

If you have set your server up to be in gateway/server mode, you need two NICs one connecting to the external internet (e.g., through a dsl/cable modem) and the other connecting to your lan (hub/router etc.). This setting enables a full-function firewall and router. If you are in server-only mode, you need your network's firewall/router to forward the necessary ports (e.g., for web access and email) to the SME Server.

That should get you going with the basics.

However, because it is a server based on a Red Hat distribution you could add quite a bit more if you wanted. BUT, learn a lot more before you embark on that course of action. Make extensive use of the search function on these forums, read the manual and wiki (links provided earlier). There is a learning curve -- take the time to learn.

Enjoy!

John

Thanks very much John this is an awesome explaination I will use it  because I understnd it :)  :D

EveningJazz

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2007, 04:46:13 AM »
Hello,

Does anyone know why I am not being presented with the option to configure each of my NIC cards? I saw a console screen in wiki but I cannot find it on my machine.

Server is in gateway and server mode and it does recognize that I have two nics. I just cannot find them to change them.

Thank you

Offline crazybob

• +0/-0
    • Stalzer R&D
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2007, 05:10:42 AM »
Hello,
what are the chipsets on the nics?
If you think you know whats going on, you obviously have no idea whats going on!

Offline TrevorB

• +0/-0
    • http://www.batley.id.au
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2007, 05:19:30 AM »
Quote from: "EveningJazz"
Does anyone know why I am not being presented with the option to configure each of my NIC cards? I saw a console screen in wiki but I cannot find it on my machine.
What exactly are you trying to configure? The drivers associated with the nics or trying to swap which one is internal & which one is external?

The 'console' you refer to is probably the 'Configure this server' option from the server console (same stuff appears at install/configure time). One of the pages allows you to select drivers for the nics and one gives you the option of eth0 as local or eth1 as local (or some such - no box available ATM).

To get to the console, either use the monitor/keyboard attached to your server or ssh into the box. Log in as admin (same password as root). It goes through the complete configuration again (using your settings as default) and will then reconfigure/reboot your server.
Quote from: "EveningJazz"
Server is in gateway and server mode and it does recognize that I have two nics. I just cannot find them to change them.
Are you sure it recognises them?

Have a go at the console and if that supplies the right information/options, good.

Good Luck
Trevor B

EveningJazz

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2007, 05:46:29 AM »
Well when I added the NIC yesterday and changed modes it gave me something like this:

Your ethernet cards use the same driver and then it went on to say the swap 0 and 1 or visa versa. So I swapped I want 0 as my external and 1 as my internal

But I cannot get into anything that allows me to congifgure each NIC.

Normally you can configure a NIC for external (which it does) but I never get to configure the internal.

So an external should look like this on  my box

DNS 192.168.1.1  this is all behind two firewalls.
I have two gateways but this is the one I am using

Now I want to configure the second NIC for a 10.10.xxx network "downstream" of the SME server. This is my goal.

How do you do this on this kind of server please?

EveningJazz

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2007, 06:11:02 AM »
How do you create an email account?

Some things do not make sense on this OS.

Do I want to email locally or both or what? I have no clue with this server.
Why does the "forward address" box not be empty?

I have two local mail servers and one remote. They are not like this.

How do you get this mailserver to work. You just add a user in the users in Server Manager and that is it? How do you know what domain they belong to?

Thank you