Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Fresh from Windows Server 2003

EveningJazz

« on: March 31, 2007, 12:43:17 AM »
Hello,

I was directed here by a friend to try this server platform. I am very impressed however I need some help, being new to this platform. I can say this much. I do know all the protocols well enough to manage the server up to where I can configure it for networking and other things.

However I am not sure as to how to use the interface (Server Manger ) to reach my goals with this server platform. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I want this server for mainly DNS hosting and website hosting for clients that do not have or want to host on a Windows Platform.

Since the interface is different how can I achieve this in  SME Server.

I can do more later but for now I would love to do this and learn it while it is "in play"

Thanks so much
Evening Jazz

Offline bpivk

• +0/-0
    • http://www.bezigrad.com
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 01:25:16 AM »
Read the wiki. That should get you started. And you'll have to use an external dns provider (zoneedit.com is free) to point your dns records to your server. And the rest is done from server-manager.

This is all the info i can give you. Now read the manual and learn about SME and you can ask questions when you're up to speed. :D

Welcome to the comunity and feel fre to contact me if you have any more questions (so we don't clutter the forum with trivial and repeating questions like your what is a rpm question)

Edit: All your SME problems (if it doesn't just work) should be reported to the bugtracker and search on the forum if you need a specific answer before posting a new topic.
"It should just work" if it doesn't report it. Thanks!

Offline compdoc

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 01:39:46 AM »
Is it that you want to use SME to provide the same services for a LAN that 2003 Server does? Or is it going to be a mixed network where 2003 and SME co-exist?

The DNS service in SME is fully automatic, and intended for use in gateway mode, and it seems to be fairly un-sophisticated. With the server-manager, you can add host names for the SME server itself, but not for other hosts on the LAN. Although, it's likely you could do that from the command line, if you learned the commands.  

Personally, I think the DNS service in 2003 Server is a far better choice for a LAN, since its pretty easy to administer (theres a lot to be said for a good GUI).

As far as webhosting - thats what SME was born to do. Add the domains, add the files into the right ibay directories, and boom - apache-ness.

These days, I use SME mainly for spam & virus filtering for customers. It can be the only email server in an office, or it can retrieve email from an ISP's pop3 server, or it can sit in front of MS Exchange so you dont need to buy very expensive, very poor performing Windows based spam & virus software.

Centos (and SME) is rock solid stuff...

EveningJazz

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 03:23:42 AM »
Hello

Thanks for the reply,

Actually I am trying to decide depending on what this server can do. In my early opinion it is very limited and difficult to work with.

I am trying to use it for a host. I have my own DNS for hosting.
So I am very familar with this also. So how do you set up a web site such as a virtual server in IIS?

There is no documentation in the wiki that I saw? Everything is preset so it is confusing.

As for DNS how do you add an A record an MX record and SPF and all the mandatory records for a DNS hosting server?

EveningJazz

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 04:35:27 AM »
Hello

I spent a little while with the server and it appears that this is the method of operation.

1. Create an ibay
2. Create a domain
3. Select the iBay as the "folder" that the website is going to be in/hosted from.

What is the difference between a hostname and the domain? On this server?
How do you get the content into the folder for hosting a website. Upload via FTP?

In what order should you create your hostname vs Domain name?

Thank you
Evening Jazz

EveningJazz

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 04:41:32 AM »
Quote from: "bpivk"
(so we don't clutter the forum with trivial and repeating questions like your what is a rpm question)

So what is an RPM

Offline bpivk

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 01:27:22 PM »
http://www.rpm.org/ <--- taken form google

How do you get the content into the folder for hosting a website.

Upload it via ftp or LAN. And read trough this http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual

EveningJazz

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 01:42:16 PM »
Thanks

I figured most of this out last night.

So this server has to install software via RPM which is a command line?

So here are  more specific questions.

Can you set DNS records?
What is the difference between a hostnames and addresses and the Domains.
How do you seperate a mail user from a another in a different domain?
When creating a user I see where you forward the ???? doesn't make sense to me.
How do you install and aplication on a website? Say... create a db in SQL?

I am trying to gather the logic here so please bear with me.

Thank you

Offline bpivk

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 02:05:48 PM »
Can you set DNS records?
What is the difference between a hostnames and addresses and the Domains.
How do you seperate a mail user from a another in a different domain?
When creating a user I see where you forward the ???? doesn't make sense to me.
------------------------------------
All of these answers can be found in the link i wrote in my last post.

How do you install and aplication on a website? Say... create a db in SQL?
Wearch on the forum we have a few examples.

EveningJazz

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 02:11:52 PM »
Thanks

Yes this link is most helpful didn't see it before :o

I do not see anything in adding DNS records just dynamic dns options.

Offline JonB

• +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 04:16:52 PM »
SME does not publish its DNS records publicly. The DNS server services the local network only.
There are instructions in the forums on how to make SME a public DNS server but it is not recommended.

I have noticed that there appears to be some confusion about the two DNS options 'Internet DNS servers' and 'Resolve locally'  when setting up Virtual Domains. Some people seem to take 'Internet DNS servers' to mean that the domain is publish publicly rather than resolve that domain using public DNS servers not the local DNS server.

Jon

Offline compdoc

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 04:25:25 PM »
There's even a lot of confusion for people new to webserving about the difference between a private/local dns server, and dns hosting by a company such as network solutions.

whatch out for that learning curve - its a doozy.

EveningJazz

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 05:03:28 PM »
Actually I do not have that confusion. I am a host like network solutions and I run and administer quite a few Windows Internal and External DNS and they are not set up like this. So all I was asking was the ability to do what I am presently doing now with SME. It was an easy question for those who were in the "know" for  this server. However I got sent all over the iternet instead of a straight forward answer like you just gave me (thank you)

I have never seen this kind of server before and I would bet that if you have never seen Windows 2003 Enterprise server you wouldn' have come as far as I have with this server in a such a short time (2 days). I am realizing that it is more if an email server and an advanced router than anything else.

Offline compdoc

• +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 05:41:08 PM »
Thats what is was designed for, yes, and it can do windows file sharing pretty well. However, it can also be altered, which is the cool part. But there's no need to alter it if you can find a linux distro that does exactly what you want, ready-made. There's tonnes out there.

Since SME runs on Centos, theres a world of software you can add, but there is sometimes a problem - SME locks down communication pretty well, and some apps wont work properly unless you modify it to fit the SME way of doing things.

Webmin is a great add-on for linux. It lets you configure many popular programs, like a few DNS services, file transfer services, DHCP, and on and on. However, Webmin doesnt know some of the services SME is using, so it doesnt give you control over them.

If you were crafty enough, you could prolly disable the SME dns service (tinydns I think it called), and install a more configurable one. But it would be a lot of work learning how. Too much, I think.

2003 Server is pretty nice. Its just the $600 base price and license fees that kill you...

EveningJazz

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 08:54:33 PM »
Quote from: "compdoc"
Thats what is was designed for, yes, and it can do windows file sharing pretty well. However, it can also be altered, which is the cool part. But there's no need to alter it if you can find a linux distro that does exactly what you want, ready-made. There's tonnes out there.

Since SME runs on Centos, theres a world of software you can add, but there is sometimes a problem - SME locks down communication pretty well, and some apps wont work properly unless you modify it to fit the SME way of doing things.

Webmin is a great add-on for linux. It lets you configure many popular programs, like a few DNS services, file transfer services, DHCP, and on and on. However, Webmin doesnt know some of the services SME is using, so it doesnt give you control over them.

If you were crafty enough, you could prolly disable the SME dns service (tinydns I think it called), and install a more configurable one. But it would be a lot of work learning how. Too much, I think.

2003 Server is pretty nice. Its just the $600 base price and license fees that kill you...

Yeah it is a hefty price Enterprise is 5,000 which I have ;)
I am liking the SME and I am getting to realize the very nice features such as file sharing and a GOOD DHCP  M$ DHCP is not that geat.

I really appreciate the response so I don't look forever for answers that are not there. However could you please give me a tutorial on how to get a website up on this box/server I have it behind a firewall so it is safe. I just need to NAT it in on ports.
e.g
4 Boom Apache-ness as one person put it