Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Fresh from Windows Server 2003

Offline wjhobbs

• +0/-0
    • http://www.chryxus.ca
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2007, 04:39:37 AM »
If SME is a backup server and on the same LAN then how does this work?

Please refer to my first post on this thread.

SME Server was designed to perform certain functions well. Acting as a backup mail server was not one of those functions.

Someone on this forum may be able to suggest how SME could be configured to play that role -- but I suspect a different distribution would be more appropriate if that is what you are trying to achieve.

John

EveningJazz

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2007, 04:43:19 AM »
Quote from: wjhobbs

If you are not getting the opportunity to specify both internal and external interfaces in the manner described -- and you have specified server/gateway mode -- please describe the sequence of screens you are getting when you select 'Configure this server'.

John

John,

This is the case and everyone kept telling me RTFM well as I said I DID and it wasn't there.

Now for specifics I cannot get a screen that lets me configure the second NIC as I was told by the server that all my NIC use the same driver? Whatever that meant?
Anyhow I am installing Server 2003 and I am going to put SME on another box to test and get used to it.

So all-in-all I cannot use this distribution as I was saying earlier  - limited

In my opinion I don't see it doing what Windows can.

Your help is fantastic thank you so much  :D  :!:

Offline MSmith

• +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2007, 06:16:52 AM »
Quote from: "EveningJazz"

Without getting into a religious war here, of course SME doesn't do what Windows Server does.  It has its own sharply defined set of competencies that it performs magnificently but it isn't "all things to all people."  

You wanted to set up a public DNS server?  Well, SME doesn't do that out of the box.  Did you understand the distinctions among server-only, server-gateway and private server-gateway?  From your posts about the "second NIC" in your SME box behind a router/firewall, I think not.  

Personally, with the advent of shadow copies in Server 2003 I've stopped using SME for fileserving for the most part ... but for small organizations with little or no budget for Windows Server, and for home use -- and for plain ease of setup and administration -- SME can't be beaten.

It's all a question of the right tool for the job at hand.

EveningJazz

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2007, 06:26:30 AM »
Quote from: "MSmith"

Without getting into a religious war here, of course SME doesn't do what Windows Server does.  It has its own sharply defined set of competencies that it performs magnificently but it isn't "all things to all people."  

You wanted to set up a public DNS server?  Well, SME doesn't do that out of the box.  Did you understand the distinctions among server-only, server-gateway and private server-gateway?  From your posts about the "second NIC" in your SME box behind a router/firewall, I think not.  

Personally, with the advent of shadow copies in Server 2003 I've stopped using SME for fileserving for the most part ... but for small organizations with little or no budget for Windows Server, and for home use -- and for plain ease of setup and administration -- SME can't be beaten.

It's all a question of the right tool for the job at hand.

I thoroughly agree with you and no I did understand the roles. However as I mentioned I was not presented with that option whether you believe me or not. Because I blantantly see the picture of the multiple NICs in the manual and they were not there for me.

RAS in Windows is similar and is done very much the same way. I just wanted to be able to configure the NIC and it was a fiasco just tying to do this. And as for behind a router you have to enter into the first NIC (SME External) the correct gateways and LAN IP's from the router. On the second NIC you should be able to change the Subnet 10.10.xxx etc... But if you cannot find the NIC then what's a person to do?

It is the right tool for the job and I think that SME makes a very good DHCP and a very good internal DNS. No doubt that SME is a very good server for what you need it for :D

And yes I don't need a religious war either pheeww

Thank you

Offline haymann

• +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2007, 10:42:02 PM »
Now for specifics I cannot get a screen that lets me configure the second NIC as I was told by the server that all my NIC use the same driver? Whatever that meant?
It is entirely possible that I am mistaken here, but it seems to me like this is a major source of your problem. Do you have a different NIC that drop in so there are 2 different NICs on-board? It seems like there has been a post or two about not using two of the same NIC...

EveningJazz

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2007, 12:35:46 AM »
Quote from: "haymann"
It is entirely possible that I am mistaken here, but it seems to me like this is a major source of your problem. Do you have a different NIC that drop in so there are 2 different NICs on-board? It seems like there has been a post or two about not using two of the same NIC...

You are correct. I dropped in a NIC from my stash it was a Belkin. THe other NIC is an integrated one. SME recognized that I had only one NIC when I tried to first put the server in gateway/server mode. It told Na na na!

You only have one NIC you cannot do this with one NIC. So I shut down added another NIC and all was good accept I got "Your Server Uses the same driver ....."  and I don't remeber what it was. But I never got to see the second NIC ever.

Thanks for bringing some relief for me.

Offline haymann

• +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2007, 02:55:03 PM »
You only have one NIC you cannot do this with one NIC. So I shut down added another NIC and all was good accept I got "Your Server Uses the same driver ....."  and I don't remeber what it was. But I never got to see the second NIC ever.
Hmmm... I wonder if the two of them (even though they are different) have the same chipset? Evidently they use the same driver and SME is having trouble with that. Is there a chance that you could get your hands on a different NIC and see if you can find something that doesn't use the same driver?

I have one system that is using two integrated NICs, one is a 3com and the other is nVidia. I have couple more that I am using an SMC and a Linksys, pretty generic and cheap cards that I had laying around...
Ryan

EveningJazz

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2007, 06:25:59 PM »
Hmmm... I wonder if the two of them (even though they are different) have the same chipset? Evidently they use the same driver and SME is having trouble with that. Is there a chance that you could get your hands on a different NIC and see if you can find something that doesn't use the same driver?

I have one system that is using two integrated NICs, one is a 3com and the other is nVidia. I have couple more that I am using an SMC and a Linksys, pretty generic and cheap cards that I had laying around...
Ryan

I can but it won't be right away. I removed SME but I do intend on putting it back on somthing later and getting to know it well.

Is there a distribution that you are aware of that can be a great external DNS and webhost?

Thanks a million
Joe

EveningJazz

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2007, 06:27:01 PM »

Ryan

I can but it won't be right away. I removed SME but I do intend on putting it back on something later and getting to know it well.

Is there a distribution that you are aware of that can be a great external DNS and webhost for Linix based?

Thanks a million
Joe

Offline haymann

• +0/-0
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2007, 03:15:06 AM »
Is there a distribution that you are aware of that can be a great external DNS and webhost for Linix based?
Sorry, SME is the only thing that I have played with...  :wink:

Offline Tib

• +0/-0
    • http://www.tibors.net
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2007, 05:11:21 AM »
K ... just to help out a bit here with nics

I'm runing my server at home with both nics that are the same with the same drivers ... it is a problem ...
I get constant kernal panics once a month on average.

I will be swapping out one of the nics very soon.

But here is a screen dump of what EveningJazz would have seen ...

As you can see it auto assigns the nics to the interfaces.

Regards,

Tib

edit: fixed stupid spelling and punctual misstakes  :D

EveningJazz

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2007, 06:23:22 AM »
Quote from: "Tib"
K ... just to help out a bit here with nics

I'm runing my server at home with both nics that are the same with the same drivers ... it is a problem ...
I get constant kernal panics once a month on average.

I will be swapping out one of the nics very soon.

But here is a screen dump of what EveningJazz would have seen ...

As you can see it auto assigns the nics to the interfaces.

Regards,

Tib

edit: fixed stupid spelling and punctual misstakes  :D

Thanks You are 1000% correct this is what I got. This is not in the manual

Thanks again
EveningJazz

Offline bpivk

• +0/-0
    • http://www.bezigrad.com
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2007, 03:57:05 PM »
hanks You are 1000% correct this is what I got. This is not in the manual

That's because this is a new feature in 7.1.3 (i think).
"It should just work" if it doesn't report it. Thanks!

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2007, 04:20:33 PM »
Quote from: "bpivk"

No, it's been there forever.

If you have two NICs which use the same driver, the kernel automatically assigns one to eth0 and the other to eth1. The screenshot above allows you to make eth1 the local network and eth0 the wan. Your other choice would be to leave them with eth0->lan, eth1->wan, and to just swap the cables if you need to.

I suspect that this is off topic, and that EveningJazz for some reason wants multiple LAN NICs.

EveningJazz

« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2007, 05:17:51 PM »
Quote from: "CharlieBrady"
Quote from: "bpivk"

No, it's been there forever.

If you have two NICs which use the same driver, the kernel automatically assigns one to eth0 and the other to eth1. The screenshot above allows you to make eth1 the local network and eth0 the wan. Your other choice would be to leave them with eth0->lan, eth1->wan, and to just swap the cables if you need to.

I suspect that this is off topic, and that EveningJazz for some reason wants multiple LAN NICs.

Thanks but I really don't need two NIC's but I wanted to be alble to configure them if I did for gatewayy mode