Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Fresh from Windows Server 2003

Offline bpivk

• +0/-0
    • http://www.bezigrad.com
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2007, 01:58:14 PM »
How do you get this mailserver to work. You just add a user in the users in Server Manager and that is it? How do you know what domain they belong to?

YEs. Just create a user in server manager and he has his mailbox. User will get mail from all domains untill you add another user that uses his mail on another domain (joe@domain1.com gets mail from domain 1 and 2 untill you add a joe1 that owns joe@domain2.com mailbox).
"It should just work" if it doesn't report it. Thanks!

EveningJazz

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2007, 02:18:47 PM »
Thank you,

I still don't understand how this is? When you check your mail how does it know what person is getting what mail.

What do you mean "owns" and why is my email address eveningjazz@mydomain.local ?

Do I want to forward the mail? Do I leave the forward box empty?

Is there a conventional mail server you can compare it to so I can get the idea here please?

For instance:

I have Merak and hMailserver and in the Domains section you add the domain then add the user and set all parameters for that user and domain.

Forwarding is an option not mandatory like this Or is it? I really do not know.
I apologize but I am thouroughly confused with this setup.

Thanks again
EveningJazz

Offline bpivk

• +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2007, 04:54:21 PM »
When you check your mail how does it know what person is getting what mail.

They have different usernames and passwords.

why is my email address eveningjazz@mydomain.local ?

Because you didn't set the correct domain for your server on the configuration screen.

Do I want to forward the mail? Do I leave the forward box empty?

If you want to forward the mail fill the box with another mail: eg. joe@domain.com forwards to gatest@micro.com

Is there a conventional mail server you can compare it to so I can get the idea here please?

As i said READ THE MANUAL. If you need a hard copy http://mirror.contribs.org/smeserver/contribs/bobk/down-loads/sme-manual.pdf
All the stuf you don't know and want to know is explained there with pictures. You're asking us to sumarise the whole manual. Just read it and you'll get the picture.

Offline Mjohnson

• +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2007, 04:56:39 PM »
Equation for Successful SME Server Setup:

RTFM + Test "Toy" Server = Useful Forum Posts

Offline bpivk

• +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2007, 05:57:49 PM »
Quote from: "Mjohnson"

RTFM + Test Server = Useful Forum Posts

I agree.

EveningJazz

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2007, 08:55:55 PM »
Quote from: "Mjohnson"

RTFM + Test "Toy" Server = Useful Forum Posts

Doesn't answer what I asked.

And I can expect the abuse after what I said. Thanks anyhow.

I will reformat and Install Windows Enterprise.

I have had enough.

Thanks again, sorry for the toy comment.

Offline wjhobbs

• +0/-0
    • http://www.chryxus.ca
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2007, 01:59:59 AM »
But I cannot get into anything that allows me to congifgure each NIC.

Normally you can configure a NIC for external (which it does) but I never get to configure the internal.

In the "Configure this server" series of screens, there is one that says 'Please enter the local IP address for this server'. Followed by one that says 'Please enter the local subnet mask for this server'. Taken together, that is the specification for your local NIC.

Therefore when you specify your local IP address it should be 10.10.x.x, so that the devices on the network that is "local" to the SME Server (your 'downstream' network) is in the right subnet. If you enable DHCP on this server, it will allocate addresses in the 10.10.x.x range.

EveningJazz, take it step at a time. If you want help here, don't let your frustration with the learning curve show in your requests for help.

John

Offline wjhobbs

• +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2007, 02:25:32 AM »
I have two local mail servers and one remote. They are not like this.

EveningJazz, this is NOT Windows. Stop trying to work with this server as you would a Windows machine. Otherwise you will just frustrate yourself.

How do you create an email account?
Do I want to email locally or both or what? I have no clue with this server.
Why does the "forward address" box not be empty?
How do you get this mailserver to work. You just add a user in the users in Server Manager and that is it? How do you know what domain they belong to?

You create a user account in the 'Users' menu item. Once a user is created, they automatically have an email account on all of the domains on this server. If you want mail sent to 'jhobbs@domain1.ca' to be for a different user from 'jhobbs@domain2.ca' then you need to use the 'Pseudonyms' facility.

Read the manual on that subject and experiment -- and search the forums with that keyword and go back and experiment some more before posing a pseudonyms question to the group.

After you create a user account, you need to assign the user a password before they will be able to log onto the server to collect their mail.

Normally, you specify that the user's email is to be delivered locally (on this SME Server box). However, if you want all the email that is sent to user1 to get forwarded to some other mail server somewhere, you select 'Forward email to address below' and in the box below that enter the full email address on that other server where the mail is to be sent. You also have the option of doing both -- delivering the mail locally and sending a copy to the other address.

In addition to creating an email account, setting up a user also automatically allocates a home directory for their exclusive use and permits them to make use of the shares (ibays) that they are allowed to access through their Group memberships. Their home directory has their user id as the directory name and from a Windows machine you can map a drive letter to this folder.

Hope this clarifies a few things.

John

EveningJazz

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2007, 03:20:14 AM »
Quote from: "wjhobbs"
But I cannot get into anything that allows me to congifgure each NIC.

Normally you can configure a NIC for external (which it does) but I never get to configure the internal.

In the "Configure this server" series of screens, there is one that says 'Please enter the local IP address for this server'. Followed by one that says 'Please enter the local subnet mask for this server'. Taken together, that is the specification for your local NIC.

Ok I saw this and configured it as I would to allow internet access. This SME box is behind a router/firewall and it is on a subnet of 192.168.x.x

so in my mind there should be another NIC for me to plug some numbers into but I am not presented with this.

So I configured it this way. The box has internet access. But now where is the second NIC? Can I even configure this?

EveningJazz

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2007, 03:29:48 AM »
I have two local mail servers and one remote. They are not like this.

EveningJazz, this is NOT Windows. Stop trying to work with this server as you would a Windows machine. Otherwise you will just frustrate yourself.

How do you create an email account?
Do I want to email locally or both or what? I have no clue with this server.
Why does the "forward address" box not be empty?

You create a user account in the 'Users' menu item. Once a user is created, they automatically have an email account on all of the domains on this server. If you want mail sent to 'jhobbs@domain1.ca' to be for a different user from 'jhobbs@domain2.ca' then you need to use the 'Pseudonyms' facility.

Read the manual on that subject and experiment -- and search the forums with that keyword and go back and experiment some more before posing a pseudonyms question to the group.

After you create a user account, you need to assign the user a password before they will be able to log onto the server to collect their mail.

Normally, you specify that the user's email is to be delivered locally (on this SME Server box). However, if you want all the email that is sent to user1 to get forwarded to some other mail server somewhere, you select 'Forward email to address below' and in the box below that enter the full email address on that other server where the mail is to be sent. You also have the option of doing both -- delivering the mail locally and sending a copy to the other address.

In addition to creating an email account, setting up a user also automatically allocates a home directory for their exclusive use and permits them to make use of the shares (ibays) that they are allowed to access through their Group memberships. Their home directory has their user id as the directory name and from a Windows machine you can map a drive letter to this folder.

Hope this clarifies a few things.

John

Wouldn't forwarding this to the same address cause a loop?
lets say SME is a backup server and you want it to catch mail for all domains and then forward/deposit  the mail in the main mailserver.

Even if the MX was  priority is 50 it doesn't make sense

How in the world is this going to take place?

I do want to say that you are definatley clarifying things :idea:

Thank you

Offline wjhobbs

• +0/-0
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2007, 04:02:05 AM »
Wouldn't forwarding this to the same address cause a loop?
lets say SME is a backup server and you want it to catch mail for all domains and then forward/deposit the mail in the main mailserver.

The mail forwarding is only for the individual user you are setting up. And then only if it is appropriate.

The domains have very little to do with it (until you get into pseudonyms). I have several domains hosted on my server. All mail sent to jhobbs at ANY of those domains will go to the jhobbs account. You do not forward mail to a given account from one domain to another on the same machine.

For example, I have a user on my server that also has an email account in Costa Rica. His mail account on my server is for one business and the account in Costa Rica is for another business. He wants all his mail in one place -- so I forward email that comes to his account on my server to go to his email account in Costa Rica.

You could just as easily specify that the mail is to be forwarded from one account on my machine to another. For example, I have an account called 'privacy' and if anyone has questions about our firm's privacy policy, they can send an email message to that account. I have it set up so that all mail for the 'privacy' account gets forwarded to my personal account so I can deal with the question promptly.

Hope this clarifies a bit more.

John

Offline wjhobbs

• +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2007, 04:23:43 AM »
Ok I saw this and configured it as I would to allow internet access. This SME box is behind a router/firewall and it is on a subnet of 192.168.x.x

so in my mind there should be another NIC for me to plug some numbers into but I am not presented with this.

So I configured it this way. The box has internet access. But now where is the second NIC? Can I even configure this?

If you look here http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter5#Configuring_Your_Local_Network you will see that there is a series of screens that get invoked when you select 'Configure this server' from the menu list in the console.

You get an opportunity to specify the local IP address and subnet mask, and if you have selected server/gateway mode you also get an opportunity to specify the external interface -- specifically (if you selected the static IP address option for the external connection) you get an opportunity to specify the external IP address, subnet mask and gateway device IP address on the external network. The former is the spec for the internal NIC and the latter is the spec for your external NIC. The gateway device you specify for the external interface may or may not be the dns server on that network, but it should be your interface to the wider internet.

If you are not getting the opportunity to specify both internal and external interfaces in the manner described -- and you have specified server/gateway mode -- please describe the sequence of screens you are getting when you select 'Configure this server'.

John

EveningJazz

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2007, 04:24:15 AM »
The mail forwarding is only for the individual user you are setting up. And then only if it is appropriate.

The domains have very little to do with it (until you get into pseudonyms). I have several domains hosted on my server. All mail sent to jhobbs at ANY of those domains will go to the jhobbs account. You do not forward mail to a given account from one domain to another on the same machine.

For example, I have a user on my server that also has an email account in Costa Rica. His mail account on my server is for one business and the account in Costa Rica is for another business. He wants all his mail in one place -- so I forward email that comes to his account on my server to go to his email account in Costa Rica.

You could just as easily specify that the mail is to be forwarded from one account on my machine to another. For example, I have an account called 'privacy' and if anyone has questions about our firm's privacy policy, they can send an email message to that account. I have it set up so that all mail for the 'privacy' account gets forwarded to my personal account so I can deal with the question promptly.

Hope this clarifies a bit more.

John

Yes this really does!  However this wasn't what I meant though

If SME is a backup server and on the same LAN then how does this work? You have to have the same accounts on both servers.

For example. If server A (main mailserver) is down and has Joe@mydomain.com  and SME is set to retrieve this (with the same account) if Server A is down with (SME) an MX of 20  then how is it going to forward the mail?

This will cause a loop.

However in your scenario it is easy and makes perfect sense. you can forward to any address as long as it is not the same address.

Thanks John

Offline del

• +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2007, 04:35:11 AM »
EveningJazz,

If you are trying to set it up as a backup mail server, maybe this would help:

http://www.schirrms.net/sme/MXBackup.php

Regards,
Del
If at first you don't succeed, then sky-diving is not for you!
"Life is like a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once." --Author Unknown

EveningJazz

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2007, 04:37:35 AM »
Now were talking!!

MOST appreciated ;)