Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Compiling/installing a 3rd-party package. Help please?

Lucky Dragon

« on: April 03, 2007, 03:52:59 AM »
:?:
I'm setting up an SME server for my parents to use for a print server,  gateway, firewall, etc. They don't have high-speed internet, so it will be connecting to the internet via dialup. The default options are more or less exclusively for a "dial-backup" type solution where SME automatically connects as needed, but my parents use the phone for voice calls as well, and they don't want the computer automatically dialing and tying up the line.
Is there some type of add-on that would allow a manual-only dialup connection where they would just point their browser at the server and click a link to connect/disconnect? Alternatively, if there is a way for me to set up a script to do this and link it to the http://<servername>/ webpage that would work too.

BTW: Thanks to all the developers and contributors: I've been really impressed by the quality of workmanship on this project.
 :mrgreen:

OK Edited: See post #3. I'm making progesss, but I seem to be encountering roadblocks at every stage. <sigh> I guess it's part of the learing process.
 :roll:

Lucky Dragon

This might be what I need...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 11:38:16 PM »
Here is a link to another thread where a user had a question about something similar. Is a tool like this available? (Obviously, at that time it was not, but maybe it has since been updated, or maybe there is another tool that would do something similar...)
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Lucky Dragon

Progress
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 08:10:23 AM »
After numerous hours searching the web, I finally dredged up this:

LineControl

I downloaded the linesrv-2.1.21.src.tar.bz2 file and unpacked it, then as root, did a chown on the resulting files. Following the intructions in the readme, I executed:

./configure

to compile the package, but here's the output i received:
Code: [Select]
checking build system type... i586-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... i586-pc-linux-gnu
checking target system type... i586-pc-linux-gnu
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.

So... Does this mean SME doesn't have a C compiler? What do I do now? I  really need to get this program working.

Offline Normando

• +2/-1
    • Unixlan
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 10:39:23 AM »
You need the development tools. Execute this in your console:

Code: [Select]
yum --enablerepo=base --enablerepo=updates --enablerepo=centosplus install gcc-c++ gcc

See you

Offline jester

• +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 10:50:52 AM »
Hi Lucky Dragon,

Most tools of that type are not maintained anymore for the obvious reason of general availability of broadband connections. My best bet for you would be, if you really want this to work, is to get in contact with Dungog Networks and see what you can work out.

jester.

Lucky Dragon

Progress...
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 12:46:29 PM »
Quote from: "jester"
Most tools of that type are not maintained anymore for the obvious reason of general availability of broadband connections.
jester.

@jester
You need to realize that not everyone lives in a large metropolitan area. My parents' only alternative to dialup (which runs them $9.95/mo) is DSL from the local phone company: 256kbps down, 64kbps up for $55.00/mo and they see no reason to spend that much money just so they can browse the web and check email.

@picsone
Thanks. I'll try that.

Offline jester

• +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 01:16:14 PM »
Lucky Dragon,

I understand that, it was more i motivation which (i presume) is the reason the Dongog contrib is not maintained any more... it was not an insult on you intelligence.

As an alternative to LineControl you can also look at: http://www.quaking.demon.co.uk/dialmon.html

jester.