Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

"Synconize" sent emails between horde and Outlook?

drfresh

« on: February 28, 2007, 12:52:08 PM »
I have a small business where I uses SME server 7.1 as my web- and mailserver. I'm often traveling thus using my webmail. But when I'm working from my office I uses MS Outlook as my mail client.

Now I have managed to get Outlook to keep my incoming mails on the server. But what do I do to be able to access the mails in Outlook I have sent from my webmail? And how can I in my webmail see the mails I've sent from Outlook? I can't find a setting in Ootlook and I wonder if it is something I have to set up on the SME?

I have searched the forums without luck.

Thanks

spanna

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 01:09:37 PM »
If you set up Outlook to retrieve e-mail using IMAP, your Outlook and webmail will always show the same information (ie. which messages you've read, deleted, replied to, etc.).

Hope this helps you.

Offline judgej

• +0/-0
Re: "Synconize" sent emails between horde and Outl
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 01:25:31 PM »
You need to ensure both Outlook and the webmail save their sent mail in the same IMAP folder. By default webmail will save in 'sentmail' and Outlook in 'Sent Mail' (but on your local hard drive, rather than the IMAP server). Change the settings on one or the other.

If you cannot see the sentmail folder in Outlook, then you probably haven't subscribed to it.

-- JJ
-- Jason

uomonet

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 09:19:45 AM »
Same problem for me!
For Outlook I create a rule that move sent mail from the local folder to the Sent Mail on the server. Now my problem is: How do I get horde to use Outlook "Sent Mail" folder instead of its "setmail" folder?

drfresh

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 09:59:58 AM »
Thanks both

I will have a look and see if I can find some documentation on this when I'm back home. But a quick follow up question: will this affect my other users on my mail server? They all uses POP3 access.

Thanks

Offline judgej

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 10:53:41 AM »
Quote from: "drfresh"
Thanks both

I will have a look and see if I can find some documentation on this when I'm back home. But a quick follow up question: will this affect my other users on my mail server? They all uses POP3 access.

Thanks

Basically, no. If they use POP3 for mail retrieval, then they have no access to the server folders from that mail client. That means webmail sent items will be saved to the 'sentmail' folder on the server, but they won't be able to see it at all from their remote mail client. The remote mail client will save all its sent mail locally, and will not be able to save it on the server.

Using IMAP gives you a sort of windown into the folders on the server, and POP3 does not. The folders still exist and can be managed through webmail, regardless of whether you can see them from your mail client (i.e. whether using POP3 or IMAP).

-- JJ
-- Jason

Offline judgej

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 10:58:32 AM »
Quote from: "uomonet"
Same problem for me!
For Outlook I create a rule that move sent mail from the local folder to the Sent Mail on the server. Now my problem is: How do I get horde to use Outlook "Sent Mail" folder instead of its "setmail" folder?

It is set at the bottom of the 'personal information' page of the Horde options screen. You need to set it from within each user's account. No idea what it's doing tagged on down there.

-- JJ
-- Jason

drfresh

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 11:24:23 AM »
Using IMAP gives you a sort of windown into the folders on the server, and POP3 does not. The folders still exist and can be managed through webmail, regardless of whether you can see them from your mail client (i.e. whether using POP3 or IMAP).

If I understand you correctly, you mean that when I'm using Outlook, when on my internal network, I can see all the folders and content in Outlook and when I'm on the road I can see it in webmail. And information will be the same regardless of what environtment I'm in and where mails where sent from originally.
And then perhaps I should investigate the VPN probabilities, so that I can connect to my internal network whenever possible and use Outlook, wich is, however, a better mail client than horde. But that's ofcourse another question...

Offline judgej

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 05:06:44 PM »
Quote from: "drfresh"

If I understand you correctly, you mean that when I'm using Outlook, when on my internal network, I can see all the folders and content in Outlook and when I'm on the road I can see it in webmail. And information will be the same regardless of what environtment I'm in and where mails where sent from originally.
And then perhaps I should investigate the VPN probabilities, so that I can connect to my internal network whenever possible and use Outlook, wich is, however, a better mail client than horde. But that's ofcourse another question...

If you connect using secure IMAP, and make IMAP publically available, then you can use Outlook everywhere. That's what I do - I take my laptop between home, office and client sites, just plug it into the nearest network and use Thunderbird (used to use Outlook, but same difference) without any problems. The server is kept at the office, which runs in server/gateway mode.

I only use the webmail if I don't have my laptop with me.

So - using secure IMAP and SMTP, you can connect Outlook to your server from both inside and outside your local network. That feature alone, for me, has made SME Server an order of magitude easier to use, since it was introduced.

-- JJ
-- Jason

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 09:48:12 PM »
How about creating a sym link from one of the sentmail boxes to the one used?
Code: [Select]
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root        6 Dec 27 11:17 .sent-mail -> .Sent
It works for me... (using Thunderbird on IMAP SME Server and webmail)
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

uomonet

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 11:06:42 AM »
Problem solved for me!
Thank you very much judgej!