Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SLC Conference a BIG SUCCESS!!!

Offline pmstewart

• +0/-0
« on: February 26, 2007, 07:05:27 AM »
My personal thanks to all those who participated.  It was indeed my pleasure
to meet each of the participants and to interact with each of you.

Many, Many thanks to PFloor who did an outstanding job as a host!

My thoughts to the forums.....

After meeting the wonderful developers of this outstanding product, I personally challenge each of the forum users to re-read carefully each post by the developers and moderators of this forum.  They really have knowledge and insight how to make this product better. Their sole aim is to help all of us!!!  **DISCLAIMER**  They are not here for personal technical support to all forum users for solving individual problems immediately!

Most posts in the forums involving irritation come from those who are not friendly with the idea of posting in or searching the BUG TRACKER.  After a thorough explanation of how to get problems identified (which may involve many sources including the CentOS), duplication of the problem, successful resolution with proven results, and careful rescripting to solve dependency issues, the BUG TRACKER is a very worthwile tool.

If there is to be any future success for SME Server we all have to work together.  Working together means informing the developers of all commands suggested to fix a problem (even if its a temporary fix) via the bug tracker so the end result ends up in the FAQ's or Documentation for everyone. This will minimize our need to search the forums for answers.

GIGO=Garbage In Garbage Out!  If garbage is what we want as a final answer keep putting garbabe in - don't keep doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Many thanks to Charlie, Gordon and Shad for sharing very important information with us to help keep SME Server the product we can all be proud of!

Paul

Offline BartManInNZ

• +0/-0
    • http://www.bart.geek.nz/
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 08:17:20 AM »
Any chance that there may be some audio/video available at some point?

Offline Texaopian

• +0/-0
:: That was a blast ::
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 08:44:08 AM »
Huge kudos to Paul "BB" Floor for hosting and getting this setup.

The chance to meet Gordon, Charlie and Shad was priceless and well worth the expense. It was just icing on the cake to meet everyone else.

For the Community:

Search, Search, and Search before you post. Please have the motivation to actually spend a little time looking for a solution to your issue before posting it here. I pretty much never posted on the forum before because searching and lurking solved almost all my issues. I'm a pretty busy guy, but I still made the investment to take the time to search the site for the answers I needed. The method really does work.

When you are sure that something is broke, DON'T POST IT HERE! Report it as a bug. Learn how to do it here. Then take the five minutes and report the bug here.

Just remember the product you've been using for free has been developed and maintained by a small handful of people because they have a love and passion for it. Be thankful. Be courteous. Be respectful.

All in all, here is some good news/bad news.

Good news, you might not get thumped on the head by CharlieBrady, gordonr,  etc. as much..

Bad News, you'll get thumped by a highly motivated group of other users first .. and still get hit on the head by CharlieBrady, gordonr, etc...

Offline pfloor

• +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 06:35:21 AM »
First of all I would like to thank everyone that participated in the developer's conference, especially Gordon, Charlie and Shad.  It was a lot of work and preparation but was well worth every minute it took to put it together.

I again would like thank those that contributed to the conference.

The outcome of this conference will benefit everyone involved in SME.

The biggest thing learned by me was how different people are in person as compared to their on-line presence.  Gordon, Charlie and Shad are not as they appear, they are very dedicated professionals with one thing in mind...Making SME the best as it can be!  Their collaborative efforts have produced the best Linux based server distribution available and their continued efforts will keep it the best.

Another thing I learned is how difficult it is to integrate something into the base.  We spent several hours examining the code of smeserver-ddclient and barely scratched the surface.  There is so much to consider when trying to integrate something into the base and we took another couple of hours going over smeserver-userpanel just to discover that we found many obstacles and we never even touched the code, as a matter of fact we never even got a chance to look at the code at all.

There are so many things that need to be done with SME however Gordon, Charlie and Shad can't do it on their own.  There is just more work than the 3 of them can handle. I help where I can and so do several others but there are far more folks taking from this project than giving and this project needs far more help.

This project needs:
1-More users scanning the forums directing potential bugs to the bug tracker.
2-More users in the bug tracker helping with bug triage.

These 2 simple items would do more to help this project than anything else.

There is one more thing the developers need.  They need more folks capable of writing code to help with bugs and future projects.  This can be a learning process for some but it is well worth the time to learn.

When I posted my first bug 2 years ago, I knew absolutely nothing about coding.  I have learned a lot and the 3 developer have been very patient with me.  They are willing to help you learn as long as you are willing to learn.  I learned enough over the last 2 years to be able to benefit from the conference on a personal level.

If anyone is interested in helping please contact me personally at paul_at_smeserver_dot_us.

Quote from: "PartManInNZ"
Any chance that there may be some audio/video available at some point?

I have about 16 hours (times 2 sources = 32 total hours) of video to go over.  I don't know what will be useful but I plan on making anything that is useful available.  I also plan on transposing anything useful in writing.  Please be patient as I do have a business to run and can really only work on this on my spare time.

P.S. I just realized this thread is locked.  I don’t know how it got that way but it is now unlocked.
In life, you must either "Push, Pull or Get out of the way!"