Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

I need a Hero

dane_braddy

I need a Hero
« on: February 23, 2007, 01:44:55 PM »
Hello,
I've been contacted out to develop a new server solution for a NFP organization, the problem is that in the time it will take me to upgrade i need to maintain the current server.

The current sever is acting as a mail server (not a gateway) running the now ancient SME 5.6.
Last week changed internet/email providers thus losing the spam filter they had.
I only have limited experienced with the unix/linux command line (i do run fedora at home but i prefer to stay within the gui) but i'm not sompletly useless at it.

Anyway to the point. I have been assigned to stop the spam coming through (currently about 2 messages a minute) The qmail (1.03) service is running on the server as is SpamAssassin.

The organization relies on email to run pretty much 24/7 so it's not like i can shut down the server for any extended amount of time.

Is there a program i can run to stop the flow?

I've seen the patch for qmail to stop spam but that requires me to re install qmail from the source and whilst i'd try it at home i'm not going to mess around with the system that is running.

I've tryed sa-update for the new spam assassin rules but it wouldn't run 9perhaps the SA on this system is too old??)

The user PC's run XP... i've thought of putting a filter on their end but there are over 100pcs in the organization and that will take wayyyy too much time.

Can anyone suggest anything??
Again i have very limited command line skills
i know when it comes to system admin quick fix is usually a pipe dream.... but i need one...

please help if you can.

Offline bpivk

• +0/-0
    • http://www.bezigrad.com
I need a Hero
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 01:51:58 PM »
Well you should update to 7.1 and then install sa contrib.
"It should just work" if it doesn't report it. Thanks!

dane_braddy

I need a Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 02:04:05 PM »
yeah, but in a few months it will be all controlled by server 2003 (as per their request) so upgrading is a waste of time

and i can't stress enough - i can maybe get an hour of downtime but no more... and that all the mail settings (usernames etc) as well as the mx records are all on this computer.

any help will be great...

Offline raem

• +4/-0
I need a Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 02:59:19 PM »
dane_braddy

One approach that would be reasonably quick to implement and may well be the easiest solution is to install sme 7.1 on another server and then use the delegate mail server setting to forward all email to your old server. Spam filtering will be done by the sme 7.1 server.

dane_braddy

I need a Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 10:47:58 AM »
thanks...  i will try that when i get back into work after the weekend! i'll keep you all posted!

Offline raem

• +4/-0
I need a Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 01:56:09 PM »
dane_braddy

Re the sme7.1 server, search here on RBL to find the commands you need to enable RBL rejection of messages from spam sources
That should stop a large percentage of the spam.